Toast Matt Rosa - Welcome back as assistant coach!

Remove this Banner Ad

175cm is tiny. Dont think we will get lovell with our first.
I just want him be it first, second or third...Still think he'll be one of the best out of this draft.

175.6 cm is average male height in Australia...But given the way AFL is going it is small for a midfielder.
(source Australian Bureau of Statistics 2012)

It's amazing to think that guys the same height as me (189cm) were KP height not that long ago.

I just want him be it first, second or third...Still think he'll be one of the best out of this draft.

175.6 cm is average male height in Australia...But given the way AFL is going it is small for a midfielder.
(source Australian Bureau of Statistics 2012)

It's amazing to think that guys the same height as me (189cm) were KP height not that long ago.
It is but in most professional sports today, 175.6 is deemed to short. We are on the verge of seeing the average ruckmen pushing close to 210c, and Key forwards being 200cm players.

It is but in most professional sports today, 175.6 is deemed to short. We are on the verge of seeing the average ruckmen pushing close to 210c, and Key forwards being 200cm players.
Without checking, I recon it'd be closer to 205cm for Rucks, 196 for KPF/DEF total average.

The thing I love about our game is it has role for just about any size provided you have the footy brain.
Its one of the things that makes our game special, its swung too far in the way of prototypical athletes but will correct again.
As I've said in another thread...If you can football then you can football.

Give me a 175 cm Footballer any day over a 190cm Athlete.

Without checking, I recon it'd be closer to 205cm for Rucks, 196 for KPF/DEF total average.

The thing I love about our game is it has role for just about any size provided you have the footy brain.
Its one of the things that makes our game special, its swung too far in the way of prototypical athletes but will correct again.
As I've said in another thread...If you can football then you can football.

Give me a 175 cm Footballer any day over a 190cm Athlete.
I agree but i think its happening to a few sports these days. I like the inbetween player like Duggan. Has the footy smarts and skills but has a bit of pace as well.

In a few years time when the average mid is over 185cm's the demand fro small inside mids will sky rocket as they will be able to go in and under extract the footy and feed to the outside players.

I think Lovell will be there with our second pick and we should deffo pounce.

I agree but i think its happening to a few sports these days. I like the inbetween player like Duggan. Has the footy smarts and skills but has a bit of pace as well.

In a few years time when the average mid is over 185cm's the demand fro small inside mids will sky rocket as they will be able to go in and under extract the footy and feed to the outside players.
I get what you're saying here avishka5 re; taller midfielders with skill and pace, plus footy smarts. To me that is the perfect recruit...play tall, play small, skills, plus footy smarts & pace....that's pretty much any team's wetdream. I agree with ArdentEagle that the beauty of our game is that all sizes can be successful. Undersized midfielders, ala Sam Mitchell, Ben Cousins will always have a place in our great game with footy smarts. No sub anymore, less interchange rotations, .. interested to hear thoughts on it. Does it lean more towards the endurance athlete, or the pure footballer, or somewhere inbetween?

I get what you're saying here avishka5 re; taller midfielders with skill and pace, plus footy smarts. To me that is the perfect recruit...play tall, play small, skills, plus footy smarts & pace....that's pretty much any team's wetdream. I agree with ArdentEagle that the beauty of our game is that all sizes can be successful. Undersized midfielders, ala Sam Mitchell, Ben Cousins will always have a place in our great game with footy smarts. No sub anymore, less interchange rotations, .. interested to hear thoughts on it. Does it lean more towards the endurance athlete, or the pure footballer, or somewhere inbetween?

Yeah true but i guess they dont have to be 188cm plus midfielders. Duggans a perfect example he is a pure footbaler but he has the athletic attributes and stands between 185cm -182cms, which is currently the average height of a modern day mid. Im not against mids under 180cms but i feel their dying as the younger generations are getting bigger and stronger.

Endurance is a core part of this game and no player can last long in the competition without great endurance. From your big ruckmen, Kpd's to the smallest player in side, is expected to have a tank on him. Gaff, Priddis, Shuey are all pure footballers but they have a massive tank on them to match that ability. In fact i say that it gives players an Advantage, Priddis on brownlow night said that his life surfing back groundmeant that he had a great tank and he went on to say that its his great endurance that has helped him get to where he is now. Both Shuey and Gaff worked on their endurance at the end of last year and both went on to have good years. Both used to get bogged down from taggers and i think working on their endurance last summer helped in the breaking some hard tags.

Last edited:
Yeah true but i guess they dont have to be 188cm plus midfielders. Duggans a perfect example he is a pure footbaler but he has the athletic attributes and stands between 185cm -182cms, which is currently the average height of a modern day mod. Im not against mids under 180cms but i feel their dying as the younger genarations are getting bigger and stronger.

Are you this height thorne89 ?

Interesting article in The West today:

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/afl/a/30349604/matt-rosa-was-tired-for-sitting-on-the-bench/

Being made the substitute for this year’s preliminary final and grand final was the “clincher” that convinced Matt Rosa to leave West Coast.

Rosa said the frustration of having the green vest for the two biggest games of his career helped him make up his mind to ask for a trade from the club he called home for 11 years.

But the 29-year-old pinpointed his axing mid-season following the win over Richmond at the MCG as the moment he started considering a future away from the Eagles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting article in The West today:

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/afl/a/30349604/matt-rosa-was-tired-for-sitting-on-the-bench/

Being made the substitute for this year’s preliminary final and grand final was the “clincher” that convinced Matt Rosa to leave West Coast.

Rosa said the frustration of having the green vest for the two biggest games of his career helped him make up his mind to ask for a trade from the club he called home for 11 years.

But the 29-year-old pinpointed his axing mid-season following the win over Richmond at the MCG as the moment he started considering a future away from the Eagles.
I heard Rosa got pretty cheesed off when Woosha was playing him in the WAFL in 2013 too. Unfortunately he just didn't have enough really good games to be cemented in the best 21 when we were at full strength, Gaff and Masten regarded as the first choice wings.

We've turned his list spot into Tom Cole, be interesting to see how that turns out.

I heard Rosa got pretty cheesed off when Woosha was playing him in the WAFL in 2013 too. Unfortunately he just didn't have enough really good games to be cemented in the best 21 when we were at full strength, Gaff and Masten regarded as the first choice wings.

We've turned his list spot into Tom Cole, be interesting to see how that turns out.
i guess deep inside he would have been pretty pissed being played on the half back line. A lot players leave after being played in the wrong position. 2014 could be argued as Rosa's best season where he averaged 25 disposals, 3 tackles and 3 inside 50's. Then simmo turned him into a defender and his output wasn't as great.

Wow, didn't realise until now that they'd signed him for three years. That's huge! Big roll of the dice on a 29 year old who hasn't been able to play out a full season too often for most of his career. Guess that in the worst case scenario they see a role for him at the club as a mentor, given he's a top bloke. Seriously think he'll do well: still, speaks volumes to the current culture at GC that they'd take him on long term.

He's just never really had enough of an impact on a game to be an automatic selection.

Needed to kick more goals to avoid being played down back. 39 goals in 11 years...

Last edited:
i guess deep inside he would have been pretty pissed being played on the half back line. A lot players leave after being played in the wrong position. 2014 could be argued as Rosa's best season where he averaged 25 disposals, 3 tackles and 3 inside 50's. Then simmo turned him into a defender and his output wasn't as great.
When your playing in a good team deal with what the coach is offering you hey. Players have a right to think they are more than they are worth but rosa had been a fringe player for a while. At least hes guaranteed not to be sub next season.

So basically, 29 year old proven 'mid range' player gets squeezed out of top team by younger talent with higher ceiling.

Shame he didn't like the role he was filling for the team - but he's not the type of player that gets much of a say in that department.

Rosa is a winger.
He was playing there the first half of last year and was one of our best.
His helicopters dont work going inside 50 and he isn't a great mark overhead so not suited to half back.
Play him on the wing and he will go when he has to and always make a contest.
His experience on a wing will help GC in transition.
Might even sneak forward for a few goals next year.

I don't know anything about how Rosa trained, but I would guess that because he is such an endurance runner, he probably trains pretty hard. That would of been attractive for the Suns too (I was also surprised he got a 3 year deal there).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back