Matt Rowell future Brownlow Medallist? Or merely overrated? (Poll added)

Rowell's prospects

• He's got the raw talent, can win a future charlie

• Too early

• Will be a good average player

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot depends on who in the team can take votes off him.
Judd was in a dud side but there wasn't anybody to take votes from him.
Pendles, Grundy, Sidebottom, ect for instance has many other poll voting players sharing votes each week.
Dusty was in a fortunate position that not only did he have a ripping season, Richmond was such an even unit (with many contributors doing their bit) he stood out and was duly rewarded.
A Brownlow doesn't necessarily mean you are the best player for that year, sometimes you can be lucky enough to have little competition for collecting votes in you team.
That being said, Rowell look pretty damn good and I know 17 other clubs that would love to have him.

Rowell has been phenomenal, my post was not comparing but simply pointing out the chocolate to boiled lollies rubbish that gets spruiked about first and second year players..

Last edited:
A lot depends on who in the team can take votes off him.
Judd was in a dud side but there wasn't anybody to take votes from him.
Pendles, Grundy, Sidebottom, ect for instance has many other poll voting players sharing votes each week.
Dusty was in a fortunate position that not only did he have a ripping season, Richmond was such an even unit (with many contributors doing their bit) he stood out and was duly rewarded.
A Brownlow doesn't necessarily mean you are the best player for that year, sometimes you can be lucky enough to have little competition for collecting votes in you team.
That being said, Rowell look pretty damn good and I know 17 other clubs that would love to have him.

The Brownlow is voted on by the umpires... never forget this.. it’s should never be used as a reference point to how good someone is.. The 3 best players of the Modern era Matthews, Carey and Ablett snr never got close to winning a Brownlow.

Rowell has been phenomenal, my post was not comparing but simply pointing out the chocolate to boiled lollies rubbish that gets sprained about first and second year players..

Well it's not unwarranted.

Your argument would be valid if Walsh was playing as good as he was in early 2019 and people were tearing him down in comparison to Rowell. Which he isn't.

He hasn't cracked 20 disposals yet this year and is going at 54% DE.

He seems to be going through the very definition of second year blues.

It's unfair to hang s**t on him as a 20 year old, but the reality is he's dropped back to the rest of the 2019 draft pack with his 2020 form.

Well it's not unwarranted.

Your argument would be valid if Walsh was playing as good as he was in early 2019 and people were tearing him down in comparison to Rowell. Which he isn't.

He hasn't cracked 20 disposals yet this year and is going at 54% DE.

He seems to be going through the very definition of second year blues.

It's unfair to hang sh*t on him as a 20 year old, but the reality is he's dropped back to the rest of the 2019 draft pack with his 2020 form.
Or being asked to play a completely different role for the team..

The Brownlow is voted on by the umpires... never forget this.. it’s should never be used as a reference point to how good someone is.. The 3 best players of the Modern era Matthews, Carey and Ablett snr never got close to winning a Brownlow.

Not exactly true.

Carey polled over 15 votes in 5 years and his highest finish was 3rd (1993).

He went into something like 7 brownlows as the bookies pre count favorite.

They must have made a fortune off of him.

Ablett's best year with the umps was 1985, his second year at the Cats and his first year transitioning into a full time forward. He polled 15 votes and finished 6th.

The 1977 Brownlow might be the biggest injustice in history (Noel Teasedale won it for Sth Melbourne). Richmond supporters and Caro always belch about KB being hard done by.

But Lethal averaged 27 touches a game and 3.8 goals a game (91 total) and finished second in the Coleman to Peter Hudson (99).

Which has to be the most statistically dominant year anyone has ever put together.

Last edited:
Or being asked to play a completely different role for the team..

I don't think averaging 5 turnovers a game @ 54% DE from 16 possessions a game is a coaching directive just quietly.....

I honestly don't know how anyone could possibly say he's overrated, other that jaded opposition fans who don't want to give respect to any player not playing for them or jealous old bastards annoyed that an 18 yr old doing something remarkable.

Rowell is better than Walsh last year. Walsh wasn't kicking left foot goals on the run from outside 50. I don't even think Walsh has used his left foot since joining the league. Walsh' possessions were higher, but he played longer games. Rowell, in his second game ever, went 1v1 against Shuey and won. Walsh wasn't doing, and hasn't done, anything like that. Based on what I've seen I'd also say Rowells impact per possession is higher than Sams. I love Sammy, he was unbelievable last year - maybe even the best first year player ever, but as of now Rowell has gone a step further.

Rowell stands up in and shrugs off tackles like a guy in his 7th year. Teammates always get around him at qtr time/half time/post game, they want to be around him like he's the alpha. In the congestion he's already barking out orders and team mates listen. If you didn't know who he was or that he was 18 you'd be forgiven for assuming he's captain of that team.

Maybe the next 5 weeks he does stuff all and everyone realises this was all was hyperbole, but right now, based off the 2 games we've seen, there's no way you can make an educated argument that he is overrated.

Last edited:
I honestly don't know how anyone could possibly say he's overrated, other that jaded opposition fans who don't want to give respect to any player not playing for them or jealous old bastards annoyed that an 18 yr old doing something remarkable.

Rowell is better than Walsh last year. Walsh wasn't kicking left foot goals on the run from outside 50. I don't even think Walsh has used his left foot since joining the league. Walsh' possessions were higher, but he played longer games. Rowell, in his second game ever, went 1v1 against Shuey and won. Walsh wasn't doing, and hasn't done, anything like that. Based on what I've seen I'd also say Rowells impact per possession is higher than Sams. I love Sammy, he was unbelievable last year - maybe even the best first year player ever, but as of now Rowell has gone a step further.

Rowell stands up in and shrugs off tackles like a guy in his 7th year. Teammates always get around him at qtr time/half time/post game, they want to be around him like he's the alpha. In the congestion he's already barking out orders and team mates listen. If you didn't know who he was or that he was 18 you'd be forgiven for assuming he's captain of that team.

Maybe the next 5 weeks he does stuff all and everyone realises this was all was hyperbole, but right now, based off the 2 games we've seen, there's no way you can make an educated argument that he is overrated.

Shrug tackle - check
Kick from around 50 - check
Against quality (West Coast) - check

Yeah Walsh has done something like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Slipped a tackle, not shrugged. No check.
Not opposite foot. No check.

Still good, though, not gonna take that away from him. Wish he'd do it more
Both exceptional players for their age.
They're both pick 1's for a reason.
Got this funny feeling that Geelong will go very hard for Walsh when their stars retire and salary cap opens up.

AFL Player Ratings have released their data after Round 3.

Rowell is rated the #2 player in the comp in 2020.

1. Neale
2. Rowell
3. Fyfe

Also kicked from inside 50. No check.

There is a difference between them. Shrugged implies breaking the tackle with strength, slipped implies.. well.. slipping out.

Errr number one he did shrug (if that's not shrugging a tackle then * knows what is, bloke tried to tackle him he broke free) but as you are going to be anally retentive down to every point despite your own words of "Walsh hasnt done anything like it" and I did say from around 50 (your anal retention capabilities didnt pick that one up) Ill leave it at that.

I don't understand the Mitchell comparisons. He's a glorified Matt Crouch. King of the 3m handball and stat padder extraordinaire.

But yes, I think Rowell will be a future Brownlow medalist. Not many kids come in and have the impact he has. Puts Walsh to shame tbh.

Would be interesting to know what the closest a first year player has gotten, outside an existing star from another state in the vfl days. Anyone know the youngest top 5 finisher in history?
Not sure about top 5 finishes, but Dick Reynolds won 1934 Brownlow at 19 in his 2nd season. That would be hard to beat.

Back