Matt Shaw

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
THE GOLD Coast Football Club’s list has taken further shape with the announcement of two more signings ahead of the new franchise’s entry to the AFL competition in 2011.

A week after signing Karmichael Hunt from rugby league, the club has turned its attention to 17-year-olds by adding two young Victorians to its 2010 squad.
TAC Cup players Matt Shaw (Dandenong Stingrays) and Western Jets midfielder Trent McKenzie have both joined the Gold Coast under the AFL’s rule permitting the club to sign 12 players born between January and April 1992.
The two latest recruits bring the number of Gold Coast-bound 17-year-olds to four, with the club able to swoop on another eight by the end of the season.
Tasmanian recruits Maverick Weller and Luke Russell joined the club late last month as part of the Gold Coast’s pre-draft rights on 17-year olds.
Shaw and McKenzie will join the current GCFC squad in the elite development program at Carrara’s Gold Coast Stadium in November.
Gold Coast coach Guy McKenna said Shaw possessed sure ball-handling skills and the agility and endurance to play forward, back or in the midfield.
“He has a penetrating kick, shows courage overhead and the much needed decision making skills to be a top AFL prospect,” he said.
McKenzie, a graduate of the AFL AIS program, has impressed across half back or on the ball for the Jets this season.
“He has a huge left foot kick, a high leap and raw pace and is a talented AFL prospect who will continue to grow over time,” McKenna said.
“He is the quickest player over 20m to come through the AIS program this year (2.84 seconds).
“They are both impressive young men who have an appetite for the hard work required to give them every opportunity to play AFL football in 2011.”

THE GOLD Coast Football Club’s list has taken further shape with the announcement of two more signings ahead of the new franchise’s entry to the AFL competition in 2011.

A week after signing Karmichael Hunt from rugby league, the club has turned its attention to 17-year-olds by adding two young Victorians to its 2010 squad.
TAC Cup players Matt Shaw (Dandenong Stingrays) and Western Jets midfielder Trent McKenzie have both joined the Gold Coast under the AFL’s rule permitting the club to sign 12 players born between January and April 1992.
5051dea6e687f1c28ec45faeee7d0e8b_resized.JPG

26_MattShaw.jpg

DETAILS
JUMPER # 26
DOB 05/02/1992
HEIGHT 187cm
WEIGHT 71kg
FORMER CLUB Dandenong, VIC

http://www.goldcoastfc.com.au/the-team/player-profiles/matt-shaw/

Melbourne-raised Matt Shaw arrived at the GC SUNS at the start of last season as one of twelve 17-year-old priority picks.

Before then he was a standout under 18’s player with the Dandenong Stingrays in the TAC Cup and performed well for Vic Country during the 2009 National Championships.

Despite his youthfulness, Shaw featured regularly in the GC SUNS VFL 2010 line up where his aggression and relentless multiple efforts were a real highlight.

A genuine utility player with sure, creative hands and the agility and endurance to play anywhere on the field, Shaw is also has a penetrating right foot, shows tremendous courage overhead and a cool head in tight contested situations.

Seems to have been our first ever real tagger last night. :D Kept Dal Santo much more honest than he was last year against us. Wasn't really a super hard tag, but definitely much more than normal. Is this the start of a new role for him? He certainly has the speed and endurance to run with most.

Re: Round 2. GC vs. St. Kilda.

Hey guys just asking about one player.

Shaw is he more an inside type of player or more of an outside/wing type player. Saw that he tagged Dalsanto on the weekend to some success, did he tag him in the guts or out on the wing or anywhere he went he followed?

Whats his running ability like? is he considered an elite runner distance/endurance wise at the club

Shawry is definitely an outside player but is a highly regarded runner at the club. As Bluey says "He looks like a boy but runs like a man". I can see him developing into a Kade Simpson type player.

Shawry is definitely an outside player but is a highly regarded runner at the club. As Bluey says "He looks like a boy but runs like a man". I can see him developing into a Kade Simpson type player.

Has some speed about him too. Simpson probably isn't a bad comparison actually. If he isn't developed into a tagging player, which I can also see. Certainly has the engine to do it.

He goes un-noticed by so many people, but I think he's still a core cog in our engine.

One of our prime 17 year old picks like Matera. Love him. :D Seems to be really loving the tropics and surfing too. Always helps when on the Coast!

Just want to bring up Shaw. Behind Bennell and Ablett he was probably 3rd BOG today. Reminded me of the start of last year - watching the Dees get beaten by Essendon in the NAB Cup and this boofy-haired blonde kid kept turning up with the pill. The kid was Dyson Heppell. Shaw was very similar today, his second efforts were tremendous. You've got something there with him.

Just want to bring up Shaw. Behind Bennell and Ablett he was probably 3rd BOG today. Reminded me of the start of last year - watching the Dees get beaten by Essendon in the NAB Cup and this boofy-haired blonde kid kept turning up with the pill. The kid was Dyson Heppell. Shaw was very similar today, his second efforts were tremendous. You've got something there with him.

Yeah I agree, didn't think much of him probably the first 20 games or so of his career, but the last month or so has really stepped up with his attack on the game. Seems to be a mindset thing or perhaps the leash has been let off mentally?

Really like his game.

Remember late last year, Matt ran from one back pocket to the opposite wing/half forward to provide a lead, which was honoured. One of the Fox commentators picked up on this and praised him for it. This before the Arizona trip shows he's got the ability for it. Glad he's taken a step forward again this year. Love his run and carry, even more than Flash or McKenzie!

I doubt anyone would have picked that he could be our first player to get to 50 games.

He's become such an underrated and vital cog to our midfield, Shawry!

Patience pays off with a Shaw thing.
AS MUCH as any Gold Coast player this season, Matt Shaw has typified the improvement coming from Metricon Stadium.

Shaw is the skinny, blonde-haired, half-back/winger who looks just as comfortable at Kurrawa Beach as he does on an AFL field.

Like many of his teammates, the 21-year-old was pushed around and muscled out of contests during his first two seasons.

Gold Coast Suns burn with intensity as Matt Shaw says team has shifted in intensity.
He said the shift began at the end of last season. The entire squad had goals to achieve by the time they returned to training in November and, unlike past years, reached them.

"Everyone had goals to meet and mine was to put on some weight and a few of the other boys had to lose a few skinfolds," he recalls.

"Everyone came back and met their goals where years before boys might have come back a few skinfolds over and taken three weeks to get them down. When everyone comes back in tip-top condition, it just helps so much."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't, and have never been impressed with Shaw.

He might do fine on the training paddock and in the testing phase of pre season. Probably has speed, endurance, can kick and catch. All pre requisites for todays modern footballer.

What is missing, is consistency of good decision making. Shaw gets there. He seems to have the work rate, and has a go. He gets involved, does his job.

The problem I have with Shaw is his finishing. He will drop an easy mark, fumble under little pressure, or when a clean pick up is demanded. His kicks will be wobbly or inaccurate.

He also often handballs when he should kick, and the reverse.

There is no use being there all the time, then handing over the ball, or fluffing a scoring opportunity through bad decision making. He runs well and can take a bounce. But will often run too far and get tackled or puts himself under pressure to kick and handball, when he should have promoted the ball earlier.

I cant say ive seen him get in and aggressive like Harbrow. Never much blood coming from getting in the rough stuff. Cant remember any big tackles or shepherds. Im not saying he hasn't, but it isn't a part of his game that has struck me.

When our best is on the field, I really don't see a place for him. Trade bait ASAP.

Perhaps the management think his decision making is improving? We will see. He certainly has competition if he doesn't fix a few issues..

Perhaps the management think his decision making is improving? We will see. He certainly has competition if he doesn't fix a few issues..
He has definite flaws in his game, but the game vs. Geelong wasn't the best to see what improvements he's made.

I noticed throughout the game he was moved from being a defender, to a forward, then he was an outside mid, then moved back into defence. Most of the game, from what I could see, he was in the back line (and Kolo was in the forward line for a quarter or two, too). I'm assuming it's rocket trying to improve his field awareness and defensive game, but he was moved around regularly.

I'd love to see Shawry stick to one position and own it, which is what I think he'll do, but in the mean time Rocket will move him around to improve areas of concern.

I think he's borderline 22 ATM, but closer to the outer. We need his speed, but we need someone with speed AND ball skills moreso.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back