• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

RedWhite&Blue

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2005
Vic
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
A couple of years ago this would have been no contest.
Matty Boyd was missing targets and the Bulldogs were going nowhere.
Boomer was still cutting it up at the highest level and the Roos were the next big thing.
Fast forward to 2015 and Boyd is a new man - Now playing from half-back he is arguably the most important cog in a Bulldogs outfit that is 8th on the ladder with a rocket.
Boomer seems to have stagnated somewhat and the Roos haven't lived up to early season hype.
Who do you think should play on next year?

Both should and probably will. Boyd's career revival is amazing though, I've never seen a player clean up their footskills at such a late age, he is actually a really reliable user from half back. Boomer will almost certainly play on, could be a permanent small forward for a year if need be, his preparation, recovery and conditioning is supposedly elite.

Yea, serious thread.
I just think that questions should be asked of both players.
They are both considering their future.
Being a Bulldogs man Bevo has shown us the value of getting young talent in the team and giving them games. Instead of taking a backward step we have flourished. The Bulldogs team are so young that the experience Boyd brings and his performances down back mean he is a vital cog. Or is he?
Does Boomer provide that at the Roos?
If North just scrape into the finals is it really any value to the North team to have him there or is it holding the development of the team back.
Boomer is no Brad Johnson and I think all Dogs supporters would agree that he went a year to long. Hard decisions...

Both should, on current form. Harvey is still playing very well but his stats took a beating for the first 7-8 rounds because Brad Scott thought it'd be a genius idea to play one of the best attacking players in the comp in the backline. :drunk:

He still is forced down there on occasion, but with Dal Santo back he should find himself playing up the ground more where he should be.

Yea, serious thread.
I just think that questions should be asked of both players.
They are both considering their future.
Being a Bulldogs man Bevo has shown us the value of getting young talent in the team and giving them games. Instead of taking a backward step we have flourished. The Bulldogs team are so young that the experience Boyd brings and his performances down back mean he is a vital cog. Or is he?
Does Boomer provide that at the Roos?
If North just scrape into the finals is it really any value to the North team to have him there or is it holding the development of the team back.
Boomer is no Brad Johnson and I think all Dogs supporters would agree that he went a year to long. Hard decisions...
When you say he is no Brad Johnson what exactly do you mean? Boomer has had just as decorated a career as Johnson did. He is still playing better than Johnson did at the end and is still in the best performed players in his team. Would still get a game in every single side in the league.

I think all Dogs supporters would agree that he went a year to long.
No.
Johnson was 4th in our B&F in his penultimate year. It was a golf cart that ruined his year, not father-time.

'Not a troll but...'.

From what I've seen, both should and will. Not sure why they're being compared to be honest.

Fair enough.
Probably shouldn't had framed the discussion around a 'Poll' as such then.
When you say 'should and will' I have a feeling they will both go around again. It's all they've known and there aren't 2 many jobs that pay that much money so the decision usually has to be made for them. I suppose what I'm saying is Boomer offering you something that one of your other young players can't offer you? The quicker you get games into your young guns the quicker you can shoot for the top 4 and challenge.

No.
Johnson was 4th in our B&F in his penultimate year. It was a golf cart that ruined his year, not father-time.

That's correct but that year I found myself constantly trying to defend him when any conversation turned to footy.
He set the bar so high in the previous 3 years that any drop off in performance was going to be scrutinised heavily.
Looking back on it I didn't want to believe that he was in decline but he was. There were issues with his form before the golf cart.
The mudslinging from Aker didn't help either.

I'll assume Boyd will retire then along with Murphy.

Wouldn't want to hold someone back

You're right, it would be a very hard decision for the Roos to make. Telling a champion like Harvey his time is up is always a delicate subject, there can be supporter backlash because they are not ready to let go.
Just remember that the club is always bigger than the individual.

Dogs might have a similar conversation on their hands with Boyd - wait and see.

Good luck this weekend against the Suns

You're right, it would be a very hard decision for the Roos to make. Telling a champion like Harvey his time is up is always a delicate subject, there can be supporter backlash because they are not ready to let go.
Just remember that the club is always bigger than the individual.

Dogs might have a similar conversation on their hands with Boyd - wait and see.

Good luck this weekend against the Suns

Boyd and Murphy you mean.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shouldn't be a choice of one or the other. Despite their age they are both having a good year and at this stage my guess is that both will go around again in 2016.

The ball is well and truly in their court. Absolute champions of their respective clubs, and they have earned the right to make the decision for themselves.

Strange thread. Both should play until they aren't best 22.

So you don't believe in the potential of young players? They need to be given opportunities so they can develop even if they don't have the runs on the board. If you stick with a 'best 22' mantra then it would almost be impossible to blood untried youngsters.

So you don't believe in the potential of young players? They need to be given opportunities so they can develop even if they don't have the runs on the board. If you stick with a 'best 22' mantra then it would almost be impossible to blood untried youngsters.

Generally I'd prefer if players that were doing well in the VFL replaced older guys while they are in decline. The Daniel Cross/Jackson Macrae situation etc.

Both ... Boyd is having his best year in quite a while. The question is flawed, why is it a competition between the two??
It's a veiled troll thread which reinforces the sad trolling rivalry between both our clubs posters.

Boomer got tagged on the weekend. It's ridiculous that after 400 games he gets tagged.
It's even more ridiculous that he still had 20 and kicked 2.

I don't get this thread. Are we comparing the two? If so why wouldn't the question be "who is having the better season?"

In terms of their retirements, don't think Boomer has dropped off at all so why retire him?

If Doggies supporters think Boyd should retire not sure what it has to do with Boomer? Boyd is only 32, Boomer is 37, Boomer is quicker then him, is a better kick and would be tagged more often. Big Footy is an odd place at times

Last edited:
Back