News Matthew Broadbent signs with Henley

Remove this Banner Ad

I have to admit, after last year I had serious doubts about whether Matthew Broadbent would ever make it as an AFL player, but he's gone a fair way towards assuaging those doubts with an excellent month of football.

Kicked 2 goals a game three weeks in a row as a HFF/FP, and then last week played further up the field and managed 21 touches, 1 excellent snap goal and three assists, including two fantastic kicks to allow Schulz and P. Stewart to finish off his good work and take us from 10 points down to 2 points up and win us the game. Pfeiffer and Schulz have both deservedly been given credit for excellent final quarters, but IMO Matthew Broadbent's performance in the last few minutes was what got us over the line.

Broady is a good example of how sometimes a young player who doesn't look like he's gonna make it can finally have something click after 50 or so games and turn into a player. If he can keep up his current form, pencil him in on a HFF for the next decade.

P.S. I apologize in advance for probably cursing your career from this moment onwards, Matty :eek:

I'm salivating at the thought of those 30 players on our list Choc rated ahead of him. ;)

Has really been stepping up this year, great that he cracked the 20 possession barrier and really iced the cake late in the game with some decisive penetrating football.

I think Rory deserves some credit too. ;)

Where is the Darren Pfeiffer toast thread?

To be honest I didn't notice Broady's last quarter that much for some reason but it is clear from others' summaries of the last quarter that he played a crucial role. He certainly took a step in the right direction this week. He still needs a break out 30 possession game and then he could really be off.

good thread
anyone reading my rants over the past 3 years knows i rate him higher (for match impact) than boak and dom- although dom was and is a different player

he is the height weight we need our mids. 188 and 88kgs. ala ling

my only concern is his lack of pace. harvey blew him off early in the 4th needs to be seen. if he can develop his pace he is almost there

previous posts about having time to develop appear to be fair

Where is the Darren Pfeiffer toast thread?

To be honest I didn't notice Broady's last quarter that much for some reason but it is clear from others' summaries of the last quarter that he played a crucial role. He certainly took a step in the right direction this week. He still needs a break out 30 possession game and then he could really be off.

I dont think he'll ever be a 30 possession midfielder. He will be best suited to half foward with small bursts in the middle.

If he becomes a 20 possession 2 goal a game player I will be happy.

I just watched the final quarter and gee anytime the ball went near Broady something good came out of it. Seemed to be part of every forward thrust and he was simply too strong for the tackles being thrown at him. Underrated, underrated player this year.

Interestingly he has clearly always had the backing of the coaches box, played most games last year without doing a whole lot, 10-15 disposals max, however Primus stuck with him and he's becoming a really damaging player for us now. He is growing week by week- seems like we are developing him nicely ;)

Yah he's in good form. :thumbsu:

Yep, Doesnt waste the ball too often. Great game hope he can keep it up.

I dont think he'll ever be a 30 possession midfielder. He will be best suited to half foward with small bursts in the middle.

If he becomes a 20 possession 2 goal a game player I will be happy.

I disagree with this comment. if anyone on our list was to develop into a dane swan-type footballer i would back broady. He isn't blessed with the greatest skills but he has a big body, gets into good positions and can kick goals. Broadbent stepped up in the last quarter against the roos and set up our first two goals with a pass to Schulzy and then the set up for Stewart

Upon further reflection I think it is the new haircut, channeling Matthew "Big, Bad, Bustling" Bishop. The transformation from maligned semi-spud to first 18 fixture is almost complete :footy:

I disagree with this comment. if anyone on our list was to develop into a dane swan-type footballer i would back broady. He isn't blessed with the greatest skills but he has a big body, gets into good positions and can kick goals. Broadbent stepped up in the last quarter against the roos and set up our first two goals with a pass to Schulzy and then the set up for Stewart

wow really? swan?

swan is one of the quickest off the mark in the comp and can break the lines with his speed. Broadbent is completely different.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Upon further reflection I think it is the new haircut, channeling Matthew "Big, Bad, Bustling" Bishop. The transformation from maligned semi-spud to first 18 fixture is almost complete :footy:
I would argue that his haircut needs to go one step further to properly channel Rohan Smith.

Enjoying his work. Kicks goals off a HFF and like his runs through the centre square. Looks more comfortable at AFL level and has arguably gained a yard of pace. Have become a fan now that he appears to have sorted his goalkicking yips from earlier in the year.

Will never be a superstar but that's OK, he's a good honest team player IMO and would rather have that than a primadonna. Great thread :thumbsu:

I just watched the final quarter and gee anytime the ball went near Broady something good came out of it. Seemed to be part of every forward thrust and he was simply too strong for the tackles being thrown at him. Underrated, underrated player this year.

Interestingly he has clearly always had the backing of the coaches box, played most games last year without doing a whole lot, 10-15 disposals max, however Primus stuck with him and he's becoming a really damaging player for us now. He is growing week by week- seems like we are developing him nicely ;)

I mentioned this in the review thread. As terrific as Pfeiffer was in the last quarter for his attack on the footy and his dare, Broadbent's run (he got to numerous contests, including repeated efforts in the same play), clean gathering and decisive, penetrating and quick kicking was the most critical ingredient in that last 15 minutes to ensure that the ball got to the forwards.

His fitness is up, he is playing with more maturity and responsibility.

Let's not forget he is a 4th year player. I expect Hartlett to match Sloane's fourth year possession output, because I expect him to be an elite talent. If Broadbent can finish this year off with 20 possessions per game and lots of goals, assists and quality ball use, it will be an excellent platform for him to launch into his 5th and 6th seasons of AFL to become a very good midfielder.

As of now our four second tier mids (Ebert, McCarthy, Broadbent and Jacobs) are coming along quite nicely, McCarthy's right-sidedness aside.

Now we need some form from our two potential top tier mids.

I don't think he'll ever be Dane Swan, but if he can develop a Swan like fitness base and workrate, he could be a gun midfielder for us.

Loving his work this year, haven't understood the calls for him to be dropped at all.

Wow, just wow. Isnt this the same guy that so many have been screaming for to be dropped, described as a plodder with no future, had no skills, couldn't kick?
Amazing how perceptions can change when people open their eyes.

Well done broady, always thought you had the tools. Still needs to work hard, stay confident and take the game on.

Well done Matty P, credit where credit is due. You are showing confidence in a kid and now after 41 games the kid is starting to reward your faith. Jacobs similar story, now to get O'Shizzy, 2-dads and Moore back into the team.

And agree with Powerade, should have been developed as a rebounding defender from day 1.

Ihowever Primus stuck with him and he's becoming a really damaging player for us now

hey, he's my favourite potential player for us, but lets nto get ahead of ourselves

primus stuck with him because he stuck with everyone . this while we were losing by 100+ points

see the fallout from melbourne, ie last night on the couch

that was us. and worse.

lets not forget our 2-6 and north just being more sh*tedness than us on sunday

yes he was damaging, but he needs to be consistent now

that said, yes, it was great

he straightened up nicely with long penetrating kick

he'd be a wasted talent off hff

I have never understood where the perception of Broadbent having poor skills came from... To me he's always been AMAZING when he gets near the ball - he just struggled to do that.

Now he's overcoming that. One of my favourite players and I hope his play continues to develop. I can't really see any ceiling for him - he's not super speedy, but he's not as slow as some are suggesting. He's kinda like a Butcher - big giraffe lope but covers ground.

I hope he becomes our James Kelly - with added goalkicking.

He got us all excited last year and then reverted back to his <10 possession form. He is playing a different role which suits him more this year though so I have a little bit more faith.

Always thought Broadbent had decent disposal, he just channelled Harry Houdini in many of his games. He's still performing his vanishing act, but hopefully the North Melbourne game is a step in the right direction and we see him stay in the contest for longer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back