News Matthew Broadbent signs with Henley

Remove this Banner Ad

According to this morning's Monopoly Times Matthew Broadbent is burning the track up which is good to read. The only problem I have is, where does he fit? If Ebert plays down back and Byrne-Jones, Houston, Bonner and Leinert also rotate through defence and we have picked up the likes of Burton and Mayes I cannot see a spot for Matthew either in defence or the mid field. I guess it all makes for competition for spots which is all good.

The only way he gets a look in is if we have a really bad run with injuries. I have the feeling that he's in the Matt White, Gus Monfries twilight zone now. Not many miss that much football at that age and make it back. Fingers crossed for him but we're well stocked in that role.

I don't see that any of the half backs have played enough consistent footy to be head and shoulders above a fit and firing Broadbent.

Houston in the back half of the year has. Hartlett has. Byrne-Jones was okay at the start of the year when Hartlett was around.

The guy who shouldn’t be anywhere near the conversation is Bonner. He starts in the Magpies for me.

Houston in the back half of the year has. Hartlett has. Byrne-Jones was okay at the start of the year when Hartlett was around.

The guy who shouldn’t be anywhere near the conversation is Bonner. He starts in the Magpies for me.

still think bonner on a wing would be his best spot, unfortunately that doesnt seem to be on the coaches minds at all.

Which is ridiculous when comparing our winger depth vs our HBF depth.

still think bonner on a wing would be his best spot, unfortunately that doesnt seem to be on the coaches minds at all.

Which is ridiculous when comparing our winger depth vs our HBF depth.

I think Burton has pushed Bonner out of the side when everyone is up and about, but when Westhoff retires he’ll probably end up on the opposite side from Burton. Needs to stop being timid as * though.

You want wingers who aren’t afraid to push forward and kick goals.

Bonner will play plenty of games next year.

Broady at half his best is a better player than Bonner. I don't get the Bonner love really, he is just emergency depth in my eyes and has shown zero to me.

Sry Bonner fans but it's up to him to finally show something real at AFL level

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With our lack of run, Bonner will most likely start in the side. He's now our biggest metres gained player.

His first half of 2018 was quite good.

Agreed axeman, but I'm of the opinion he could hit the contest a bit harder.
That aside I see his best position is on the wing, where he should get a bit more space and be able to use those metres gained to be more attacking than when he is in defence.

With our lack of run, Bonner will most likely start in the side. He's now our biggest metres gained player.

His first half of 2018 was quite good.

In case you missed it, the only reason why Bonner is now our biggest metres gained player is because neither Hartlett nor Broadbent played more than 5 games last year.

And his first half of 2018 was poor. It was only good in relation to the rest of the defence, who were worse. It's why I couldn't understand why people were trying to convince themselves that our defence was actually playing well, or it's how we wanted to play - and why Bassett has been moved to coaching forwards this year.

If he's in the best 22, it needs to be because he's playing better than Broadbent, not because of stats that are irrelevant when you isolate them from the others - you have to look at them holistically and in context.

I like him and I want him to be the player he can be, but no one ever grew strong by taking the path of least resistance. He needs to work for it.

Never understood the underrating of Cobes. If he can get his body right, he’s clearly best 22 IMO.

He’s a metronome. He’s just consistently slightly above average. I think he’s sat at the average meters gained across the league for most of his career.

Bonner has the potential to be a better player because he could be elite. That’s why I think putting him on a wing would be a waste because he doesn’t get back fast enough.

But right now? A fit and firing Broadbent is in my team.

In case you missed it, the only reason why Bonner is now our biggest metres gained player is because neither Hartlett nor Broadbent played more than 5 games last year.

And his first half of 2018 was poor. It was only good in relation to the rest of the defence, who were worse. It's why I couldn't understand why people were trying to convince themselves that our defence was actually playing well, or it's how we wanted to play - and why Bassett has been moved to coaching forwards this year.

If he's in the best 22, it needs to be because he's playing better than Broadbent, not because of stats that are irrelevant when you isolate them from the others - you have to look at them holistically and in context.

I like him and I want him to be the player he can be, but no one ever grew strong by taking the path of least resistance. He needs to work for it.

ok

Remove this Banner Ad

Back