Matthew Clarke

Remove this Banner Ad

The most Damning thing about a lot of his selections is they never materialised to even being close to AFL standard. Compare him to say Geelong. The league is littered with ex Cats players who couldn't make the team or were in and out of the team and were sought out by other clubs. Their players would be traded to another club majority of the time for an improved draft pick so so.ebody they took at pick 60 3 years later netted them a pick 30. Tim Kelly who's initial cost was pick 24 netted them picks 24 + 14, 37 +19 in return.

How many ex Tigers are playing well at AFL teams. It's pretty bad how many of our discarded ex players are straight out the league never to be heard from again. They rarely even turn out to be any good in the next level down VFL, WAFL, SANFL. Speaking to Die Hard North fans they are appalled at how bad CCJ is & they want him long gone. I doubt Dow would even be taken if we delist him EOY or maybe picked up as bargain basement coverage. If Gale has hired Toce lazily like the Meehan hire we're gonna be in the wilderness a long time. Hopefully not 37 years this time.

Recruiters dont have crystal balls, they can’t predict how a player is going to go.

There are so many factors that go into it, development, attitude etc.
Seriously? Do you want a mulligan?

The job of a recruiter IS TO PREDICT how a player is going to go. That is the job lol

I would agree that the evidence is in that Clarke had no hecking idea how to draft a first round pick.

I messaged Clarke twice about Oscar Allen - never got a response. Guy was hecken clueless

Instead he drafts hecken soft duds like Banks, Ralphshit, Young and Sonsie. Clueless. How's Soligo and Lohmann going who I wanted!!!!!!!!
Mate Lohmann was gone by the time we could pick up Banks and Sonsie. We rated him, just not as highly as Brown.

Higgins is far from a dud, we just traded him out but he can play.

CCJ it's hard to say as he's gone to a worse basket case than us.

Dow and RCD are awful picks.

How many years was Clarke our head recruiter? I thought it was Jackson for a lot of the time?
Jackson's last year leading the team was 2016 (Bolton), albeit the changeover happened a week or two before the draft

The job of a recruiter IS TO PREDICT how a player is going to go. That is the job lol

I would agree that the evidence is in that Clarke had no hecking idea how to draft a first round pick.

Yeah, but they can’t account for factors like how well they are developed, injuries etc

If he had no idea how to draft a first rounder, why would WC, a team still developing even bother poaching him?

No it's not. The job of a recruiter is to pick the players who have the best qualities to become a quality AFL player. They have zero control over predicting what will happen.

Yeah, but they can’t account for factors like how well they are developed, injuries etc

If he had no idea how to draft a first rounder, why would WC, a team still developing even bother poaching him?
Because they are planning on poaching our WA players ... Broad, Miller, Bolton and Baker ... would all fill their list deficiencies nicely

Because they are planning on poaching our WA players ... Broad, Miller, Bolton and Baker ... would all fill their list deficiencies nicely
Lol so you hire our recruiter, to poach players we already have, who do not have an ongoing relationship with said recruiter?

No Way Wtf GIF by Harlem

No it's not. The job of a recruiter is to pick the players who have the best qualities to become a quality AFL player. They have zero control over predicting what will happen.
Season 6 What GIF by Paramount+

Lol so you hire our recruiter, to poach players we already have, who do not have an ongoing relationship with said recruiter?
Excuse Me No GIF by Desus & Mero

No relationship? Clarke recruited how many of them ... how about all

Bolton was the first player he drafted after being overlooked by every other club, Baker and Broad had been overlooked at the draft years in a row before he picked them from obscurity ...

To be fair, from when he took over as recruiting chief for us, he only had one single go at a pick under 17. He took Gibcus with pick 9.

In 2017 we took:

Higgins @17 who essentially turned into Tom Brown @ 17 in 2021

So Clarke's rd 1 failures essentially come down to our desperate attempts to find inside mids with picks 20 & 21 in 2018 & 2019.

Collier-Dawkins was a wipeout and Dow looks a strong chance to fizzle out as an AFL inside mid. But the strategy to try to locate inside mids with those picks we can now see was the right one. Who was available after these guys were taken that could have filled that role for us now?

2018 - 25 Rowbottom(not a star inside mid,) 33 Jordon(not really an AFL inside mid) 43 Jack Ross(who we took anyway) rookie pick 11 Tom Atkins(competitive but no star)

We would definitely swap Collier-Dawkins for Rowbottom or even Atkins right now but you'd have had to shoot the lights out to pick that from a pre-draft vantage point.

2019 - 39 Warner(star) but that was it.

So Rowbottom and Warner with the 2 picks would have obviously been ideal. But 4 clubs had a crack between Collier-Dawkins and Rowbottom and clubs had 17 picks between Dow and Warner. So they clearly weren't easy players to pick as the best available midfielders available at our picks.

Overall though

Pick 9 Gibcus
pick 17 Higgins
pick 17 Brown
pick 20 RCD
pick 21 T Dow

look like being collectively at least par returns for those picks.

Philippou is a quality player though. Just devoid from any confidence.
We’ll have to see. I personally didn’t want him on draft night, but of course, I could be wrong about him. Not like I’m some draft expert

Chris Toce comes from the saints or not give him a chance not this bs talk his from saints . Highly rated even when at pies. Is Jackson still working with us part time based ?.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No Way Wtf GIF by Harlem

Season 6 What GIF by Paramount+

Excuse Me No GIF by Desus & Mero

No relationship? Clarke recruited how many of them ... how about all

Bolton was the first player he drafted after being overlooked by every other club, Baker and Broad had been overlooked at the draft years in a row before he picked them from obscurity ...
Mate they're not going to move back to WA because of a recruiter...

Chris Toce comes from the saints or not give him a chance not this bs talk his from saints . Highly rated even when at pies. Is Jackson still working with us part time based ?.
Yeah FJ is still working part time

Another reason to give Toce a crack - you never know how much of their judgment is overridden by others in the club. For all we know he was forced to take players much lower in his priority/rating list because of top-down club 'needs' at the Saints.

It would've been difficult working with Ross Lyon and now Silvgani is part of the Saints

2018:
Riley Collier-Dawkins (delisted)
Jack Ross (plays semi-consistently, soon best 22 IMO)
Fraser Turner (delisted)
Luke English (delisted)
Jake Aarts (delisted)
Maverick Weller (SSP - delisted)
Sydney Stack (SSP - delisted)

2019:
Thomson Dow
Noah Cumberland

Will Martin (delisted)
Hugo Ralphsmith
Bigoa Nyuon (wasn’t coming on for us - traded to North Melbourne)
Marlion Pickett

2020:
Samson Ryan
Maurice Rioli Jr (father-son)
Mate Colina (Cat B rookie)
Rhyan Mansell

Derek Eggmolesse-Smith (delisted)

2021:
Josh Gibcus
Tom Brown
Tyler Sonsie
Samuel Banks
Judson Clarke

Matthew Parker (delisted)

2022:
Kaleb Smith
Steely Green
Seth Campbell
Tylar Young
Jacob Bauer

2023:
Kane McAuliffe
Liam Fawcett
James Trezise
Mykelti Lefau

Look at how awful our drafting was in 2018-2020. I’m so glad Matt Clarke left.

The thing is, our drafting on the night was already questionable. It’s not even one of those “hindsight is 20/20” moments. We spent half the time melting at our selections, and above is the longer term result.

This guy thought he knew better than all the other recruiters/draft experts by using picks on players that other recruiters/draft experts thought were a reach. What made it worse is that Hardwick refused to consistently play some of these players. He kept them in the VFL and ran off to Gold Coast the moment it became apparent that our depth was stuffed.

At the end of the day though, why would Hardwick play these players if he didn’t think they were good?

Anyways, I’m glad we can move on to a new era. Although, I don’t know if this St Kilda recruiter guy Toce is any good. St Kilda is probably the only side that wasted more picks than we did in those years. Mattaes Phillipou kinda looks like a bust already.
Aints have a shit overated coach

Soldo turned out ok. It is worth the risk with big guys. Cox, Brogan…
Nah, I'm just a simple man. I'd rather put time into actual footballers who are already playing the game. To me it's just a waste of time and money.

The most Damning thing about a lot of his selections is they never materialised to even being close to AFL standard. Compare him to say Geelong. The league is littered with ex Cats players who couldn't make the team or were in and out of the team and were sought out by other clubs. Their players would be traded to another club majority of the time for an improved draft pick so so.ebody they took at pick 60 3 years later netted them a pick 30. Tim Kelly who's initial cost was pick 24 netted them picks 24 + 14, 37 +19 in return.

How many ex Tigers are playing well at AFL teams. It's pretty bad how many of our discarded ex players are straight out the league never to be heard from again. They rarely even turn out to be any good in the next level down VFL, WAFL, SANFL. Speaking to Die Hard North fans they are appalled at how bad CCJ is & they want him long gone. I doubt Dow would even be taken if we delist him EOY or maybe picked up as bargain basement coverage. If Gale has hired Toce lazily like the Meehan hire we're gonna be in the wilderness a long time. Hopefully not 37 years this time.
The most damning thing is...while Clarke was working for RFC...the Club won 3GF's...

Recruiters dont have crystal balls, they can’t predict how a player is going to go.

There are so many factors that go into it, development, attitude etc.
That is exactly what’s is expected of them and why they’re employed in that role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back