Coaching Staff Matthew Egan seeks fresh start

Essendon Football Club is pleased to announce Matthew Egan has been appointed the Head of Player Development and VFL Coach.

Egan replaces Mark Neeld who has moved into the newly created role of Game Performance Manager and Hayden Skipworth who has been appointed as a Line Coach for the 2016 season.

The 32 year-old said he was excited about his new position.

“Coaching the AFL team for the final few rounds of 2015 gave me an appetite to want to coach my own team,” Egan said.

“To coach the VFL team and work alongside John Worsfold is something I’m really looking forward to, and I have to thank the Club for providing me with this fantastic opportunity to further my coaching career.

“Player development has always been a passion of mine, it’s an extremely rewarding job and I’m fortunate to be supported by a group of talented and passionate development coaches.”

General Manager of Football, Rob Kerr, said Egan was excited about taking the reins of the VFL.

“To have a couple of years coaching the VFL team under his belt is a really important step in Matt’s development, and his appointment to the new role flows nicely from his experience of senior coaching at an AFL level,” Kerr said.

“He’s going to learn a lot about himself, he’s going to learn a lot more about the trade, and he’s going to receive fantastic support from the senior coach which will in turn fast track his development."

Egan joined the Club as an Assistant Coach for the 2012 season. After two seasons as the forward line coach, Egan made the transition to backline coach in 2014.

Kerr said the Club’s youth will flourish under Egan’s tutelage.

“His track record, particularly as defensive coach, shows he does a good job of developing players,” Kerr said.

“We believe Matt is the perfect candidate to build on the strong foundations Mark Neeld has established.

“Particularly with a younger group, the players really thrive when coaches take a nurturing approach to their coaching, and this is certainly a quality Matt bases his coaching philosophy on.”

Egan will be supported by Development Coaches Mark Corrigan and Paul Corrigan.

A decision on the final Line Coaching position is expected to be announced in the coming weeks.

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2015-11-05/egan-takes-on-new-role

Apr 29, 2008
Epping
AFL Club
Essendon
Strange move. Feels like a demotion.

Was really good defensive coach. Now we are exposed there as well. Hopefully we can find a good replacement.

Nervous about Skippy being our line coach as well.

So we're moving all of our proven assistant coaches into different roles. For what purpose?

Edit: Aside from Skipworth. Not impressed by him.

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Strange move. Feels like a demotion.

Was really good defensive coach. Now we are exposed there as well. Hopefully we can find a good replacement.

Nervous about Skippy being our line coach as well.

521440-91c8c550-61f8-11e3-9d7a-2ec125a6aaf4.jpg

Do not get the angst against Skippy, has done a great job as development coach and as the VFL coach. They played a very good style of footy in the seconds for most games. Has done a good job. Maybe he is just not trendy enough.

efcboy

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2007
Essendon
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
Do not get the angst against Skippy, has done a great job as development coach and as the VFL coach. They played a very good style of footy in the seconds for most games. Has done a good job. Maybe he is just not trendy enough.

I think it's more about developing each individual coach - skipworth has the match day experience and shifted away from this role in 2015 focusing more on afl at least half of the time missing VFL matches. Egan hasn't coached a side outright bar for three games so gets more development coaching outright. It's a win win for both for mine.

Not concerned by his output as midfield coach since Goody left?

So we currently need a backline assistant and a midfield assistant?

So we're moving all of our proven assistant coaches into different roles. For what purpose?

Edit: Aside from Skipworth. Not impressed by him.
Proven assistants?

You didn't notice us getting the s**t kicked out of us last season?

Blazeit

Senior List
Aug 9, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Shame Ego didn't keep his assistant job, our whole coaching panel would have comprised solely of ex-senior coaches. Would have made for some healthy banter between us and the warm bigfooty community. People are very respectful and courteous here.

Back