Matthew Egan what if

Remove this Banner Ad

Phipppppa

Club Legend
Jan 8, 2022
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
A thought has come over me and I couldn’t quite find an answer, was hoping to ask the people of BigFooty for a conclusion.

What if Matthew Egan didn’t get injured in the 2007 season, who wouldn’t have a 2007 premiership medal around there neck? Assuming the fact an AA from that year plays in that grand final.

Cheers

Great question. I would have thought Josh Hunt, but then again I'm not too sure.

Great question. I would have thought Josh Hunt, but then again I'm not too sure.

Thought of Josh, also thought of King or N.Ablett, maybe even stokes.

If Harley wasn’t captain I don’t think he would’ve played in that side. Great leader, average footballer.

Thought of Josh, also thought of King or N.Ablett, maybe even stokes.

If Harley wasn’t captain I don’t think he would’ve played in that side. Great leader, average footballer.
Shannon Byrnes?
Vastly Different players obviously, but honeslty can’t think of anyone else as he was probably the weakest link in that 2007 side.

Off topic, if Egan hadn’t suffered a career ending injury, Harry Taylor would not have worn two premiership medals wearing blue and white hoops.

Back to the OP, I reckon Shannon Byrnes would have missed out.

Off topic, if Egan hadn’t suffered a career ending injury, Harry Taylor would not have worn two premiership medals wearing blue and white hoops.

Back to the OP, I reckon Shannon Byrnes would have missed out.

Fair to say Harry would have never been drafted by us if not for Egan's injury?

Talk about sliding doors moment - poor Egan robbed of his career at such a young age, while Harry goes on to become a 2x premiership player and one of the best defenders of the modern era.

Talk about sliding doors moment - poor Egan robbed of his career at such a young age, while Harry goes on to become a 2x premiership player and one of the best defenders of the modern era.
yeah I reckon I've heard someone from the club say the same, maybe even Wells. Harry was drafted as a temporary replacement for Egan

yeah I reckon I've heard someone from the club say the same, maybe even Wells. Harry was drafted as a temporary replacement for Egan
At the time, Harry was a considered a reach to be picked so early because of his age. He was definitely picked as straight replacement for Egan, the interesting thing was before he was drafted he had very little experience playing as a key defender. He was playing WAFL for East Freo mostly as a tall wingman.

Harry's rise to AFL stardom is a pretty amazing story really, and then 10 years later we did a similar thing with Tom Stewart.

No wonder all the other clubs hate us.

Would have been interesting who we would have picked if we didn't need a replacement defender.

Rance went the pick after Taylor but we no longer need a defender.
Callan Ward and Scott Selwood were the only others with a decent career before we took Dawson Simpson with pick 34

Dunno about that. If I remember it right Harls was a phenomenal practicioner of the intercept mark. Could read the incoming play REALLY well.

Just on Matty Egan - his last game was against Brisbane. It was the game where Corey Enright got dakked and played on in his jocks (or speedos playing as substitute for his jocks) for a bit.

Also Chris Scott's last game for Brisbane before retiring.

Last edited:
Would have been interesting who we would have picked if we didn't need a replacement defender.

Rance went the pick after Taylor but we no longer need a defender.
Callan Ward and Scott Selwood were the only others with a decent career before we took Dawson Simpson with pick 34

Without too much consideration you'd think that Scooter was high in considerations then for obvious reasons

From memory we had a good tall defender in the VFL in 2007 who we were probably looking to select had we not gone Harry Taylor, but he ended up going in the third round from memory to North Melbourne?.. I cannot remember who it was, but I remember thinking at the time he was a "mini Scarlo" and was disappointed that we missed out on him..

Edit: It was Scott Thompson.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In my list of what ifs im not even sure egan is in the top 5 now of most regrets.

menzel, cockatoo, p.lynch, n.ablett and stoneham probably all come out higher. Then egan.

we have had a lot of potential stars careers that have been severly cut down by injury.
I know every club has their own 'if only' Lists of Woe but bloody hell that is some fair talent there gone by the wayside. Cruelled by injury and circumstance.

Reading Paul Lynch's wiki entry just now I noticed something I never previously knew;

...Lynch was an injury-prone player due to an unusual build where the base of his back was straight instead of inverted. As a result, he suffered from back, lower leg and in particular hamstring problems...

I'm pretty sure there is an interview out there from Wells saying the opposite. We lost both Ablett and Egan that year, he was seen as a utility.

I'm pretty sure there is an interview out there from Wells saying the opposite. We lost both Ablett and Egan that year, he was seen as a utility.
I don't think thats correct, at the time Harry was drafted they fully expected Egan to be back at some point in 2008 and Ablett hadn't announced his retirement.

In my list of what ifs im not even sure egan is in the top 5 now of most regrets.

menzel, cockatoo, p.lynch, n.ablett and stoneham probably all come out higher. Then egan.

we have had a lot of potential stars careers that have been severly cut down by injury.

Bigger question marks around most of the others. Egan was already a legitimate star

NAblett is my biggest, half due to the potential and the other half due to what could have been with Hawkins and NBablett dominating a forwardline together for 10 years.
He's almost a bigger what if than Colberts dropped mark, 89 question marks, 96 early-mid season form, Hawkins suspension and some others.

Think you are missing the point of the thread.

A thought has come over me and I couldn’t quite find an answer, was hoping to ask the people of BigFooty for a conclusion.

What if Matthew Egan didn’t get injured in the 2007 season, who wouldn’t have a 2007 premiership medal around there neck? Assuming the fact an AA from that year plays in that grand final.

Cheers

They found a way not to select WOJO in 2008 ...so he might have been unlucky. Not apples for apples though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back