MATTHEW ELLIOT CLASS

Remove this Banner Ad

Gee, one good knock doesn't make a summer....I've got a feeling Elliot will be living off that 107 for a while....Elliot's got to go on with it now and keep making scores, but only time will tell....the jury's still out.....

Just some of the crap people said about Blewey's 260no, but now applicable to Elliot's 107.

------------------
My mother always said not to be a know-it-all and I have never let her down.

• Banned
Originally posted by eastaugh36:
you downplay blewetts good form and then talk up this turkey who has had many chances

What are you accusing me of Easty, surely not parochialism
wink.gif
Matty Elliot is a class above Blewy, and hasnt had as many chances as you suggest, first time out was because Mark Waugh ran into him, second time out due to poor form, third time only had 3 tests. He is a proven performer in England, he made over 1000 runs in Pura Cup last season, smashed county bowlers in Winter, and has made two 80's and three hundreds (two in grade cricket) since hes been back. And to top that hes Victorian!!!!!!!!!!

the victorian bit is a negative if anything !
Blewett is better to watch than elliott, who cant even run between wickets properly and has had his chances, anyway, he has a face only a mother could love !lol

Originally posted by eastaugh36:
the victorian bit is a negative if anything !

Easty,
Wasn't it the great Shane Warne who said that playing for SA was detrimental to a players selection in the Australian team.
10,000 runs on the Adelaide oval isn't worth 5,000 on the MCG in the eyes of the selectors. Think of the grounds - Adelaide = short square boundaries whereas Melbourne has the pitch running across the footy ground.

Smokey

Originally posted by Mags:
U just keep making an idiot out of ur self dont u easty!

The only one making an idiot of himself is BUBBA. Elliot a class above Blewett?? Turn it up mate. Elliot's Test average is 35, Blewett's is 34. Elliot's first class average is 50, Blewett's is 45. I didn't know classes were divided into 5 run segments.

BUBBA quote- "Elliot's scored 3 hundreds this year, 2 in grade cricket." Grade cricket?? This coming from the person who complained about the calibre of bowlers Blewey faced against Zimbabwe when he scored 131. Any class player can and should score hundreds in grade cricket, so that is hardly going to convince the selectors.

Easty is the only one making sense here. (No one is more shocked than me about this)

------------------

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah JUB JUB, I wouldn't mind Katich being given a go soon, but I'd like to see Hodge o have another good year in State cricket, just to consolidate his good work this season, before he gets picked for higher honors. The fact Hussey has an ACB contract indicates he's in future plans but Love I'd say has no chance.

------------------

*, easty is bringing his SA biased dribble in here now. Dont pretend u know anything about ANYTHING u little immature piece of s**t, u just look stupid, wea re all larfing at you and your pathetic attempts to start wars.

Stop wasting our time and go milk your mother

------------------
**Insert Wittiness**

I agree with ant about Hodge. After three or four seasons of what could be generously described as patchy form, you'd want more than half a Pura Cup season to be sure that he has got himself out of his form slump, and let him push for national selection. But in the meantime I support his inclusion in any second national XIs so he can be sussed out a bit more against higher opposition.
Elliott and Blewett have both been inconsistent at Test level (and I'm certainly not convinced Damien bloody Martyn is any better) and with their ages being close to 30, maybe it is time to try someone like Katich who has improved gradually each year (except last season where he was recovering from chicken pox and glandular fever).
Mike Hussey also seems groomed for higher honours at Test level, but his form this season has been pretty average, and despite his knock of 94 in the MMC game the other night, he generally doesn't score quickly enough to be a one-day regular.
But if anyone should make the Test side on sheer weight of runs alone, it should be Darren Lehmann who makes runs against any type of bowling, on all grounds, and didn't do much wrong in his five tests (unfairly dropped). Age will count against him but in the end, runs are runs.

------------------
Blue is the colour of healing - Music is the crystallised emotion - Flow with the Force

Originally posted by ant:
Originally posted by Mags:
U just keep making an idiot out of ur self dont u easty!

The only one making an idiot of himself is BUBBA. Elliot a class above Blewett?? Turn it up mate. Elliot's Test average is 35, Blewett's is 34. Elliot's first class average is 50, Blewett's is 45. I didn't know classes were divided into 5 run segments.

BUBBA quote- "Elliot's scored 3 hundreds this year, 2 in grade cricket." Grade cricket?? This coming from the person who complained about the calibre of bowlers Blewey faced against Zimbabwe when he scored 131. Any class player can and should score hundreds in grade cricket, so that is hardly going to convince the selectors.

Easty is the only one making sense here. (No one is more shocked than me about this)

Now now anty boy, youve just provided stats that show Matty has a better average in both Test and domestic cricket, and then you call me an idiot because i say Matty is a class above Blewett! I personally dont need stats to prove my point, i can guage that by watching both players bat. Elliot if not for his knee injury would have become the best Test opener in the world, maybe he still will. Katich and Maher are better prospects than Blewett!

Originally posted by BUBBALOUIS:
Now now anty boy, youve just provided stats that show Matty has a better average in both Test and domestic cricket, and then you call me an idiot because i say Matty is a class above Blewett! I personally dont need stats to prove my point, i can guage that by watching both players bat. Elliot if not for his knee injury would have become the best Test opener in the world, maybe he still will. Katich and Maher are better prospects than Blewett!

Bubba, since when does having an average of one more run, provide any conclusive proof as to who ther better player is?

And can you substantiate your hypothesis about Elliott WOULD HAVE been the best blah blah blah. Maybe he would have been the best if he hadn't played only 17 Tests and could actually get a game in the first team.

I am an Elliott fan, so this isn't a biased comment on my part, just letting you know that drivel and hypothesis doesn't make a good argument.

------------------
Blue is the colour of healing - Music is the crystallised emotion - Flow with the Force

Darky, Elliots first class average as stated by ANT is 50 as against Blewetts 45 (of which alot of scores would of been at the Adelaide Oval) But anyway ill give it to you that these stats are not conclusive proof one way or the other, although i dont think i said that the averages were, my drivel and hypothesis as you put it, is merely my opinion of the two batsmen, opinion are neither right or wrong there just opinions, so no amount of 'evidence' by either side of the argument will prove my opinion wrong because it is an opinion not a UNDISPUTABLE FACT. But if you and Ant want to name call me because i have an opinion which differs to yours, no problems i can live with that. My opinion is that Matthew Elliot IS, HAS AND WILL BE a better opener than Greg Blewett.

Originally posted by GoEagles:
BUBBALOUIS - Goodwin still won the top honours for Friday night, scoring 167 off 138 balls... but Matties knock wasn't too bad.

Goodwins knock must have been sensational to watch. Wouldnt the Zimbabweans love to have him playing for them this afternoon. Can he still become eligible to play for Australia or has he missed the boat?

I agree that Elliott is better than Blewett, but I was pointing out that a miniscule difference in averages isn't conclusive. If you want first-class averages try Bevan's 55, Lehmann's 54 or Hayden's 53. Gilchrist's is only about 43 does that make him a dud?
Of course it doesn't. What IS more conclusive is that no matter how many runs Blewett makes domestically, he struggles against world-class spinners. And what IS conclusive is that Elliott probably hasn't had enough cricket yet to be pushing for a national recall. Don't even bother bringing up district hundreds because they count for nothing in the greater scheme of things. I hope Elliott makes the tour of England, and given a good run of scores between now and the end of the season, I think his name will be up there. However, one good innings in a MMC game is a bit premature.

For the record, my 16-man England squad would be :
S.Waugh (c), Gilchrist (vc), Hayden, Slater, Langer, M.Waugh, Ponting, B.Lee, Gillespie, Warne, McGrath, Katich, MacGill, Lehmann, Dale, Symonds or Bevan

------------------

ss11, you idiot, I am supporting blewett and you have the victorians supporting elliott, it works both ways, if youre anything like the organisation named after you then you need a life

Remove this Banner Ad

Back