Matthew Guy. Can a mediocre leader with a 3rd rate team win government?

Remove this Banner Ad

kind of a bummer Jeff sold it all off hey
Absolutely. In hindsight he should have just run up more debt. Kennett got the state's books back in the black, only for successive Labor governments to undo all that work. The inherited debt back in 1992, while completely unprecedented, paled into insignificance on all scales compared to Victoria's current debt.

Victoria: $165 Billion by 2025
NSW: $104B by 2024
QLD: $51 B
WA: $28B

Net debt is forecast to account for more than a quarter of the state's economy by the 2025-26 financial year

Not only is VIC in debt but it is running deficit budgets - $19.5B in deficit in 2021/2022. It's a vicious circle and yet Andrews keeps spending money like he's dishing out lollies

"Moody’s, which downgraded Victoria’s credit score in late 2020, told The Age this week it was concerned that the state’s big debts and deficits leave the government with few fiscal resources to react to other health or economic shocks.... Victoria was the only Australian state or territory to have a “negative outlook” from Moody’s because it believes other jurisdictions had credible plans to get on top of the big debts – worth hundreds of billions of dollars – they have run up on international bond markets in the two years of the pandemic."

Budget comes out today, so we'll know more about the debt/deficit then.

Absolutely. In hindsight he should have just run up more debt. Kennett got the state's books back in the black, only for successive Labor governments to undo all that work. The inherited debt back in 1992, while completely unprecedented, paled into insignificance on all scales compared to Victoria's current debt.
Or you know, he could have not sold off everything of value
Its telling that you still think thats the solution

I assume this means you don't own any assets at all because you sold your house to pay off your car which you then sold to pay off your credit card

I assume this means you don't own any assets at all because you sold your house to pay off your car which you then sold to pay off your credit card
Not sure what you're banging on about? What do you mean its telling I still think that's the solution?

Show me a government in Australia, Labor or Liberal, that hasn't sold public assets. Selling public assets for profit has been a world trend over the last 40 years.

Andrews is going to privatise part of Vic Roads, and already;

In 2016, the government sold a 50-year lease for the Port of Melbourne for $9.7 billion.

In 2018 the Andrews government privatised the Land Titles Registry on a 40 year lease for sum of $2.86b

In 2019 Andrews announced one of the biggest privatisations of publicly owned land in recent history, putting 151 sites, totalling 2600 hectares of land, on the market.

Last edited:
Or you know, he could have not sold off everything of value

The Gas and Fuel, Board of Works and State Electricity would sure be handy right now.

Thanks Jeff and nothing to show for it.

Not sure what you're banging on about? What do you mean its telling I still think that's the solution?

Show me a government in Australia, Labor or Liberal, that hasn't sold public assets. Selling public assets for profit has been a world trend over the last 40 years.

Andrews is going to privatise part of Vic Roads, and already;

In 2016, the government sold a 50-year lease for the Port of Melbourne for $9.7 billion.

In 2018 the Andrews government privatised the Land Titles Registry on a 40 year lease for sum of $2.86b

In 2019 Andrews announced one of the biggest privatisations of publicly owned land in recent history, putting 151 sites, totalling 2600 hectares of land, on the market.
and its not the right solution its bullshit

For balance, the OP's question ought to be:

Can a mediocre leader with a 3rd rate team defeat a corrupt, unaccountable, arrogant and fiscally irresponsible Labor government?

I think you should do some research on Matthew Guy, and in particular his tenure as Minister for Planning.

Corrupt, unaccountable, arrogant and fiscally irresponsible are probably some of the nicer words you could use to describe him.

For balance, the OP's question ought to be:

Can a mediocre leader with a 3rd rate team defeat a corrupt, unaccountable, arrogant and fiscally irresponsible Labor government?
How’s Victoria’s economy comparing to those fiscally responsible state governments?

It will be back in surplus faster than the Feds budget

So you must think the Fed budget is a total disaster that will destroy us all
You believe the state budget will be in surplus in 4 years? LOL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Gas and Fuel, Board of Works and State Electricity would sure be handy right now.

Why would they be handy? And what do you mean there's nothing to show for it? Haven't you got power or water?

The only places left on earth where the 'State' runs power utilities are....China, North Korea and Cuba. Not even Russia!

I think you should do some research on Matthew Guy, and in particular his tenure as Minister for Planning.

Corrupt, unaccountable, arrogant and fiscally irresponsible are probably some of the nicer words you could use to describe him.

Getting into Maddens boots was a tough gig ...

Bloody Jeff eh:

Posted Mon 19 Sep 2016 at 11:25amMonday 19 Sep 2016 at 11:25am, updated Mon 19 Sep 2016 at 7:59pm

Port of Melbourne lease sold to Lonsdale consortium for $9.7 billion by Andrews Government​

What do we have to show ?

Fortunately our Port was not part of the belt & road initiative (India’s answer to China’s ports in Sri Lanka )

Why would they be handy? And what do you mean there's nothing to show for it? Haven't you got power or water?

The only places left on earth where the 'State' runs power utilities are....China, North Korea and Cuba. Not even Russia!
You bragged about Kennett selling public assets to pay down debt. Those assets he sold would have made life much easier for every Victorian not just the few, cost of water, gas, electricity and transport if they hadn't been sold. It was the biggest privatisation at the time anywhere in the world.

Of course we now know how much Private companies care about consumers.

What did he also do with the funds? Paid down debt then toll roads, the Bolte Bridge Federation Square, the Docklands precinct, the Melbourne Museum, the Albert Park sports and aquatic centre and the Melbourne Exhibition Centre.

All of which of course benefited every Victoria, not!

You do know that three governments in Australia still retain full ownership of all elements of their electricity networks: Western Australia; Tasmania; and the Northern Territory.

Liberals cannot manage the economy only when for their 'friends'.

Well, yes them... and Tasmania. And the Northern Territory. And Western Australia. And Singapore. And Malaysia. I'm sure there are plenty more, I just don't have time to do the research. At least I put a few minutes into the question, though... unlike some people them seem to pull answers out of their arse.

What did he also do with the funds? Paid down debt then toll roads, the Bolte Bridge Federation Square, the Docklands precinct, the Melbourne Museum, the Albert Park sports and aquatic centre and the Melbourne Exhibition Centre.

All of which of course benefited every Victoria, not!

Let the record show Maggie5's disapproval of the Melbourne Museum. Not surprising - Labor opposed the construction when announced.

Let the record show Maggie5's disapproval of the Melbourne Museum. Not surprising - Labor opposed the construction when announced.
Don't really care about it in relation to what we could have had, you are right.

Nothing to do with Labor opposed it, can't even recall that but laughable that you want to hang your hat on the Museum.

Don't really care about it in relation to what we could have had, you are right.

Nothing to do with Labor opposed it, can't even recall that but laughable that you want to hang your hat on the Museum.

Also, Fed Square has NGV and ACMI on the campus. I think there was plenty in Kennett's extensive construction and infrastructure program for a very wide range of Victorians.

Also, assets were sold to raise money to acquire and build other assets. Not exactly the same as running up massive budget deficits to pay for a massive expansion of middle-to-upper management in the Victorian Public Service.

Also, Fed Square has NGV and ACMI on the campus. I think there was plenty in Kennett's extensive construction and infrastructure program for a very wide range of Victorians.

Also, assets were sold to raise money to acquire and build other assets. Not exactly the same as running up massive budget deficits to pay for a massive expansion of middle-to-upper management in the Victorian Public Service.

All those places would keep Victorians warm, able to cook their meals and drink lots of water.

Yep, the MUseum is about spending
Posted Mon 19 Sep 2016 at 11:25amMonday 19 Sep 2016 at 11:25am, updated Mon 19 Sep 2016 at 7:59pm

Port of Melbourne lease sold to Lonsdale consortium for $9.7 billion by Andrews Government​

What do we have to show ?

Bracksy took the hard decisions on Eastlink:
Victorian Premier Steve Bracks has marked a milestone in the construction of the controversial Eastlink Tollway.

Mr Bracks went underground to watch construction crews break through the first tunnel of the roadway.

While the Premier was happy to mark the occasion, he would not be drawn on the impact his broken promise not to toll the road will have on next month's election.
"We had to take a decision to put tolls on Eastlink because of the $1 billion we had to find for public transport," he said.

All those places would keep Victorians warm, able to cook their meals and drink lots of water.

Look, I can't help it if you don't think it's that important that Victorians know their history, how the natural world works, or can appreciate all forms of artistic expressions. However, despite all these things, electricty, water and gas are still available in the fair state of Victoria.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back