Matthew Guy. Can a mediocre leader with a 3rd rate team win government?

Look, I can't help it if you don't think it's that important that Victorians know their history, how the natural world works, or can appreciate all forms of artistic expressions. However, despite all these things, electricty, water and gas are still available in the fair state of Victoria.
I will make sure to show your post to people that are doing it tough. I am sure it will comfort them.

acting like we only have a museum because Jeff sold the state's future off

Sassy Red Wine GIF by Married At First Sight

It was always a redeeming feature of Liberals past that there was a strong appreciation of the arts and literature that came from a classical education but this modern mob are just savages.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Well, yes them... and Tasmania. And the Northern Territory. And Western Australia. And Singapore. And Malaysia. I'm sure there are plenty more, I just don't have time to do the research. At least I put a few minutes into the question, though... unlike some people them seem to pull answers out of their arse.

Queensland has a couple of power stations in the name of Stanwell Corporation:

Stanwell Corporation is a Queensland government-owned corporation. It is the state's largest electricity generator and Australia’s third-largest greenhouse gas emitter. Wikipedia

In case its not clear: Understand the electricity supply system

May 12, 2006
Lal Lal
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Elsternwick AFC
I will make sure to show your post to people that are doing it tough. I am sure it will comfort them.

Look, in all seriousness, I just struggle to comprehend that museums and art galleries are not important or something the government has a role in facilitating and providing.

There's been a lot of Labor State Government since 1999, and a lot of revenue, if they wanted to change things back to the way they were. Perhaps it'll happen after Labor save Waverley Park for football.

kalex6251

Club Legend
Nov 12, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
im sure moe / morwell residents (and surrounds) are less than overjoyed at the privatisation of the sec .... maybe those rejoicing over kennetts time in office should head down to the latrobe valley and tell locals what they think to their face

May 12, 2006
Lal Lal
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Elsternwick AFC
im sure moe / morwell residents (and surrounds) are less than overjoyed at the privatisation of the sec .... maybe those rejoicing over kennetts time in office should head down to the latrobe valley and tell locals what they think to their face

I think climate change would have gotten them either way. State owned or not, those plants are closing down one by one.

Look, in all seriousness, I just struggle to comprehend that museums and art galleries are not important or something the government has a role in facilitating and providing.

There's been a lot of Labor State Government since 1999, and a lot of revenue, if they wanted to change things back to the way they were. Perhaps it'll happen after Labor save Waverley Park for football.
You were the one that singled out the Museum.

I am not a believer in selling utilities such as gas, water or electricity.

I can't recall where I read it but I think Federal Labor linked the local price we pay for Gas to OS demand. So short sighted to not get better returns on our natural resources. Now we are paying higher prices. Sometimes it is more than party politics.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

Good many here in the Latrobe Valley continue to deal with asbestosis from the SECV days.

Kennetts time is long gone (remember the rust bucket State ) - plenty of time to deal with consequences.
See Victoria’s privatisation problem | Red Flag

'Victoria has a privatisation problem. To be fair, selling public assets for profit has been a world trend over the last 40 years. But Victoria led the way in Australia.

In the Andrews Labor government’s 2017 budget, a large increase in privatisations was planned, with between 40 and 50 percent of funding for infrastructure projects over the next few years coming from Public Private Partnerships (PPPs).'

'It’s surprising that Victoria has any public assets left to sell after Liberal premier Jeff Kennett’s notorious binge in the 1990s. The Kennett Coalition government privatised public transport, electricity, gas, water distribution and more. Essential human services were sold to the highest bidder and are now run in the interests of shareholders, rather than the public.

Today many sectors such as aged and child care, hospitals, child protection, disability services, prisons and vocational training are partially or in the process of being privatised.'

Daniel Andrews has found even more public assets to sell.
Refer to Victoria’s privatisation problem | Red Flag for an update on the current Governments ongoing privatisation record.

It was always a redeeming feature of Liberals past that there was a strong appreciation of the arts and literature that came from a classical education but this modern mob are just savages.
Gotta give props to Harold Holt, he was shitposting before the internet made it cool.

Swim with a mistress, drown and then get a pool named after you. Beautiful work.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
You were the one that singled out the Museum.

I am not a believer in selling utilities such as gas, water or electricity.

I can't recall where I read it but I think Federal Labor linked the local price we pay for Gas to OS demand. So short sighted to not get better returns on our natural resources. Now we are paying higher prices. Sometimes it is more than party politics.

In fact the State Labor Government in WA showed the way, by reserving gas for local consumption. The FAIL of the east coast is not following W.A's initiative.
Its not a secret, but bad politics when preferring to blame the Feds:

Tyberious Funk

Premiership Player
May 13, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Queensland has a couple of power stations in the name of Stanwell Corporation:

Stanwell Corporation is a Queensland government-owned corporation. It is the state's largest electricity generator and Australia’s third-largest greenhouse gas emitter. Wikipedia

In case its not clear: Understand the electricity supply system

I was mostly focusing on government-owned energy businesses with retailing capacity. But if you want to include generators (like Stanwell) and distributors (like Ergon and Energex in Queensland)... yes, there are others too. Even in NSW, there are three major distributors -- Ausgrid and Endeavor where the NSW government retains a 49% stake, and Essential Energy which is still 100% government owned.

By contrast, in Victoria there are 5 electricity distributors. Three of them are owned (or majority owned) by CKI a Hong-Kong based company. While Jemena is majority owned by the Chinese government, with a significant stake owned by Singapore Power, who in turn owns the entirety of the 5th distributor, AusNet.

For anyone not familiar with the energy market, there is no competition in the distribution market. Prices are set by the regulator, based on the cost expected to run the network, plus a profit on top. These companies earn a guaranteed profit... dictated by our own regulators. And the profit they earn at our expense, goes back overseas.

Oh, BTW... SPI AusNet were alleged to be responsible for some of the damage caused by the Black Saturday Bushfires. And when they were sued... they were allowed to increase their prices to cover the costs. Congratulations Victoria. You got screwed not once, but TWICE.

Last edited:

And a big arse shed.
Go ask anyone who worked in the railways at that time.

Last edited:

kalex6251

Club Legend
Nov 12, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Good many here in the Latrobe Valley continue to deal with asbestosis from the SECV days.

Kennetts time is long gone (remember the rust bucket State ) - plenty of time to deal with consequences.
grew up in the valley and saw/lived the consequences of privatisation myself - it was brutal .... so spare me your bull$hit fence sitting nonsense

again, those celebrating kennetts legacy should have the cohunas to travel down to the valley and tell locals who lived through the experience exactly what they think

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
grew up in the valley and saw/lived the consequences of privatisation myself - it was brutal .... so spare me your bull$hit fence sitting nonsense

again, those celebrating kennetts legacy should have the cohunas to travel down to the valley and tell locals who lived through the experience exactly what they think

Point is privatisation is alive & well, not just 30 years ago. Its mainstream policy in Victoria.

Discussing history does not mean anyone is for or against an issue.

You bragged about Kennett selling public assets to pay down debt. Those assets he sold would have made life much easier for every Victorian not just the few, cost of water, gas, electricity and transport if they hadn't been sold. It was the biggest privatisation at the time anywhere in the world.

Of course we now know how much Private companies care about consumers.

What did he also do with the funds? Paid down debt then toll roads, the Bolte Bridge Federation Square, the Docklands precinct, the Melbourne Museum, the Albert Park sports and aquatic centre and the Melbourne Exhibition Centre.

All of which of course benefited every Victoria, not!

You do know that three governments in Australia still retain full ownership of all elements of their electricity networks: Western Australia; Tasmania; and the Northern Territory.

Liberals cannot manage the economy only when for their 'friends'.
So many points to pick apart in your rambles.

Firstly, I wasn't bragging. I was just stating what he did to get the debt down.

Where's the link that says it was the biggest privatisation anywhere in the world? I'd have thought privatisations in the UK were more substantial, but I'm guessing. But please share the link that proves your point.

Can you imagine if the Andrews Govt ran Power, Water or Gas. They'd have ended up like our Health system, or our Public Service. Grossly over staffed and under funded infrastructure wise.

Finally you say Kennett "Paid down debt then toll roads, the Bolte Bridge Federation Square, the Docklands precinct, the Melbourne Museum, the Albert Park sports and aquatic centre and the Melbourne Exhibition Centre." And then you claim none of this benefited all Victorians. Nothing any government does will benefit all. Level crossing removals don't help regional Victorians. The Westgate Tunnel benefits no one; it should have opened this year

So many points to pick apart in your rambles.

Firstly, I wasn't bragging. I was just stating what he did to get the debt down.

Where's the link that says it was the biggest privatisation anywhere in the world? I'd have thought privatisations in the UK were more substantial, but I'm guessing. But please share the link that proves your point.

Can you imagine if the Andrews Govt ran Power, Water or Gas. They'd have ended up like our Health system, or our Public Service. Grossly over staffed and under funded infrastructure wise.

Finally you say Kennett "Paid down debt then toll roads, the Bolte Bridge Federation Square, the Docklands precinct, the Melbourne Museum, the Albert Park sports and aquatic centre and the Melbourne Exhibition Centre." And then you claim none of this benefited all Victorians. Nothing any government does will benefit all. Level crossing removals don't help regional Victorians. The Westgate Tunnel benefits no one; it should have opened this year
Waste of time responding to your other rambles but here is the link.

Under Kennett, Victoria embarked on the biggest privatisation program of any region in the world, selling public assets for more than $30 billion, and redirecting services valued at a further $10 billion into private hands.

See Victoria’s privatisation problem | Red Flag

'Victoria has a privatisation problem. To be fair, selling public assets for profit has been a world trend over the last 40 years. But Victoria led the way in Australia.

In the Andrews Labor government’s 2017 budget, a large increase in privatisations was planned, with between 40 and 50 percent of funding for infrastructure projects over the next few years coming from Public Private Partnerships (PPPs).'

'It’s surprising that Victoria has any public assets left to sell after Liberal premier Jeff Kennett’s notorious binge in the 1990s. The Kennett Coalition government privatised public transport, electricity, gas, water distribution and more. Essential human services were sold to the highest bidder and are now run in the interests of shareholders, rather than the public.

Today many sectors such as aged and child care, hospitals, child protection, disability services, prisons and vocational training are partially or in the process of being privatised.'

Daniel Andrews has found even more public assets to sell.
Refer to Victoria’s privatisation problem | Red Flag for an update on the current Governments ongoing privatisation record.
You live in the Latrobe valley?
So you get sky news for free. It's all making sense Ghost Patrol

Waste of time responding to your other rambles but here is the link.

Under Kennett, Victoria embarked on the biggest privatisation program of any region in the world, selling public assets for more than $30 billion, and redirecting services valued at a further $10 billion into private hands.

In case you needed to understand the what and why….

In case you needed to understand the what and why….
I answered your question. Not sure why I need to understand anything about the why and already knew the what.

Apologies on not tagging.

Firstly, calling out hypocrisy hopefully makes it less likely to occur. We need people to mean what they say and to do what they said they'd do and be consistent, so we can believe what they say in the future. If we can rely on people's word, then things should improve. The Premier has promoted himself as a champion of women against a allegedly misogynistic opposition, but he's treated female colleagues incredibly poorly and also shown contempt for female journalists in ways he has never done to male journalists asking pretty much exactly the same questions. If he believes what he says about equality, he needs to live it all the time and not just when it suits him. And if he picks and chooses, I will call him out on it.
Alternative view - everyone who makes public statements inevitably runs into something which contradicts previous statements. So everyone is a hypocrite and the only difference is degree.

I accept that I am a hypocrite
And at times racist and judgemental

Back