Player Watch #21: Matthew Jefferson

Remove this Banner Ad

Just want it on the record that I didn't make this about Ben Brown. The Dr. did. But Ben Brown also had knee surgery I the 2021 pre-season. so it wasn't just 2022. I didn't have big issues with us bringing him in because we got him cheaply from a draft pick point of view and I did appreciate his accurate goal kicking but 2022 was so hard to watch in terms of his mobility and general lack of skill.

Yes im aware, hopefully this year we do the same as we did in 2021, have him come back thru the magoo's , JVR and TMac hold down the fort in the meantime and Brown builds up some fitness and form for the second half of the season.

Yes im aware, hopefully this year we do the same as we did in 2021, have him come back thru the magoo's , JVR and TMac hold down the fort in the meantime and Brown builds up some fitness and form for the second half of the season.
Honest question though, what would Ben Brown need to show in the vfl to earn a spot?

In the 6 games Ben Brown has played in the last 2 seasons, his averages are: 9.8 disposals, 4 marks, 1 tackle and 2.3 goals. He should never have earned a call up, even back in 2021.

Van Rooyens first year: 11.5 disposals, 4 marks, 2.5 tackles, 2 goals

Honest question though, what would Ben Brown need to show in the vfl to earn a spot?

In the 6 games Ben Brown has played in the last 2 seasons, his averages are: 9.8 disposals, 4 marks, 1 tackle and 2.3 goals. He should never have earned a call up, even back in 2021.

Those stats aren't relevant. He played at least 1 or 2 half games early on as they eased him back in. Pretty sure the same happened before he came in for the Port game too.

It's not about him taking someone's place it's about him being fit and ready if we need him and called upon

Such a stupid comparison. Most of browns are just run outs returning from injury

Those stats aren't relevant. He played at least 1 or 2 half games early on as the eased him. Pretty sure the same happened before he came in for the Port game.too.

It's not about him taking someone's place it's about him being fit and ready if we need him and called upon
ok fair enough. I mean I fully expect Brown to play almost every game next season so he'll have ample opportunity.

Given Brown's knee they really shouldn't try and make him play every game. I'd aim for 15-20, form/fitness permitting. A few extra week's rest will help him. TMc too will likely need some juggling with his body.
He was clearly cooked this year but we didn't bother changing things up. JVR adds a new option, or a swing of Petty/Tomo/JSmith forward.

Given Brown's knee they really shouldn't try and make him play every game. I'd aim for 15-20, form/fitness permitting. A few extra week's rest will help him. TMc too will likely need some juggling with his body.
He was clearly cooked this year but we didn't bother changing things up. JVR adds a new option, or a swing of Petty/Tomo/JSmith forward.

TMac looks like he is still struggling by the way he has been running atm

Van Rooyen to play closer to goal with Gawn higher up the ground when he isn't in the Ruck

Possibly Smith also as the roaming HF

TMac looks like he is still struggling by the way he has been running atm

Van Rooyen to play closer to goal with Gawn higher up the ground when he isn't in the Ruck

Possibly Smith also as the roaming HF
A fit Joel Smith gives us a bit of a wildcard. Bit of a whipping boy for good reason, but I reckon he could be a dangerous matchup in the F50 when he's fully fit with some games under his belt. I just don't think his body will ever be up to the rigours of AFL footy unfortunately. I get nervous with him down back, but in the F50 flying for marks and using his athletic ability he could be a tough matchup considering Fritta is similar in style.

A fit Joel Smith gives us a bit of a wildcard. Bit of a whipping boy for good reason, but I reckon he could be a dangerous matchup in the F50 when he's fully fit with some games under his belt. I just don't think his body will ever be up to the rigours of AFL footy unfortunately. I get nervous with him down back, but in the F50 flying for marks and using his athletic ability he could be a tough matchup considering Fritta is similar in style.

Yeah has had a badluck his whole career

Imagine him at 100% in the Forward 50, unstoppable in the air

Yeah has had a badluck his whole career

Imagine him at 100% in the Forward 50, unstoppable in the air
Not sure he's unstoppable, but his athleticism makes him an awkward matchup. Could torch someone tall, can outmark a smaller defender. He's quick too. Just needs to put together some consistent games and stay fit. Could be a wildcard for the F50 next season for sure. Our F50 will be very intriguing next preseason. Will Goody have the balls to try something different or go with an all too familiar setup? JVR will surely get games and it looks like we'll have a resting ruck down there. So we need some athleticism and scoring ability. Joel Smith could break into that setup at some stage.

Not sure he's unstoppable, but his athleticism makes him an awkward matchup. Could torch someone tall, can outmark a smaller defender. He's quick too. Just needs to put together some consistent games and stay fit. Could be a wildcard for the F50 next season for sure. Our F50 will be very intriguing next preseason. Will Goody have the balls to try something different or go with an all too familiar setup? JVR will surely get games and it looks like we'll have a resting ruck down there. So we need some athleticism and scoring ability. Joel Smith could break into that setup at some stage.

100%

He has that X factor with his leaping, size and speed

HF - Harmes, Gawn, Pickett
F - Smith, Van Rooyen, Fritsch

100%

He has that X factor with his leaping, size and speed

HF - Harmes, Gawn, Pickett
F - Smith, Van Rooyen, Fritsch
I actually don't mind the look of that forwardline! Doubt Goody will go with it, but it's at least interesting. I know Trac is a gun mid and will spend most of his time there, but I actually think he'd be our most dangerous forward. Hopefully more midfield time for Sparrow/Koz will mean we have Trac in the F50 a bit more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually don't mind the look of that forwardline! Doubt Goody will go with it, but it's at least interesting. I know Trac is a gun mid and will spend most of his time there, but I actually think he'd be our most dangerous forward. Hopefully more midfield time for Sparrow/Koz will mean we have Trac in the F50 a bit more.
I like it. I'd probably switch JVR with Gawn. I'd be all for Joel Smith playing forward.

Fritsch is a 10x better forward than Trac. It's almost insulting.

Never forget that playing Trac forward categorically results in more scores conceded then actually kicked due to his misses #Dansterfacts

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Dansters tears say more than evidence ever could
9be.gif

Is there.... any Jefferson talk in this Jefferson thread?
Between Jefferson and Adams, I'm surprised they didn't try to recruit the rest of the Founding Fathers.

Also, do we wanna start calling him "MJ" so we can start making Spiderman jokes?

Never forget that playing Trac forward categorically results in more scores conceded then actually kicked due to his misses #Dansterfacts

haha, yeah I'll put my hand up and say I got that one wrong. But you'd have to concede that through the research and results listed it was pretty hard to argue that he wasn't the worst goal kicker in the afl last season if you factor in shots on goal. And that stands up over his whole career.

haha, yeah I'll put my hand up and say I got that one wrong. But you'd have to concede that through the research and results listed it was pretty hard to argue that he wasn't the worst goal kicker in the afl last season if you factor in shots on goal. And that stands up over his whole career.

Just calling out your ridiculous hyperbole again mate.

Spot the difference:

'I worry about Trac playing forward cos he's a pretty awful kick for goal and has to improve'.

Vs.

'Trac is without doubt the worst kick for goal in the league and we concede more points from his misses than we actually score from'.

Just calling out your ridiculous hyperbole again mate.

Spot the difference:

'I worry about Trac playing forward cos he's a pretty awful kick for goal and has to improve'.

Vs.

'Trac is without doubt the worst kick for goal in the league and we concede more points from his misses than we actually score from'.

Well I think the stats show that he indeed was the worst kick for goal in the league in 2022. If I use hyperbole, I'm guilty as charged but let's not use minimising language like 'pretty awful'. He was awful. Pathetic. The worst. But yeah I should've stopped there before talking about points conceded :)

Well I think the stats show that he indeed was the worst kick for goal in the league in 2022. If I use hyperbole, I'm guilty as charged but let's not use minimising language like 'pretty awful'. He was awful. Pathetic. The worst. But yeah I should've stopped there before talking about points conceded :)

You should've stopped a long time ago mate

429a8752c19f6f8f79b92c8fdda831e9.jpg

This conversation doesn't interest me, Have a picture of a character called Jefferson. With a reaction that seems fine for reading the last page

Remove this Banner Ad

Back