Player Watch #21: Matthew Jefferson

Remove this Banner Ad

I honestly don't fap over pictures of dudes bodies. There weights are listed, I'm just quoting the stats. The numbers aren't from the clubs, so assume they're from the combine and its the last time that you can be sure the narative isnt being managed.

My personal opinion is I don't have massive hopes for Jeffo or JVR, but as long as they can compete (when they're ready) we'll be fine.

I don't see what homophobia has to do with whether or not a football player has clear muscle definition after being drafted.

I honestly don't fap over pictures of dudes bodies. There weights are listed, I'm just quoting the stats. The numbers aren't from the clubs, so assume they're from the combine and its the last time that you can be sure the narative isnt being managed.

My personal opinion is I don't have massive hopes for Jeffo or JVR, but as long as they can compete (when they're ready) we'll be fine.
Does anyone "fap over pictures of dudes bodies" when they're discussing whether they're going to be able to compete at AFL level. Pretty low-level insult there.

Incidentally, I have big hopes for JvR. The kid is enormous and used his frame well at VFL level. Seems like he can kick too. I'm hoping for 40 goals at AFL level this year.

If Jefferson is 78 kgs + id be amazed. Probably drunk a s**t tone of water before the combine and was wearing a ye olde metal chastity belt underneath to fool the recruiters.

Yeah nah correct..

This is Harry McKay in his first every training session with Carlton on December 2nd 2015.
View attachment 1568742

This is Matthew Jefferson this week.

View attachment 1568744

The similarities are scarily identical....
Yeah chalk and cheese. One looks like he's pumped weights for a good 2 years or more, the other hasn't been in a gym. Will take 2 preseasons proper to get Jefe up to 18yr old McKay. 2 years before we can even see if he is any good or not.

The fascination about Jefferson's weight is odd. Let's look at JVR. He's just about as solidly built as you can be for an 18 year old key forward and how many games did he play? That's right, 0 games. So the first year of Jefferson being out is essentially a free year of bulking up because even if he was 90kg, he wouldn't be playing anyway.

Jedd Busslinger is only marginally bigger than Jefferson if you squint and he was also a first rounder. Patience people.

Just from his highlights vid, the player Jefferson reminds me most of is Jack Riewoldt.

Not a massive KPF by any standards, not super fast but has sticky hands, attacks packs pretty well, pretty good at ground level, nice kick for goal.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Good call.

84kgs my ass lol. Kids as skinny as you could possibly be especially through the hips and legs.
Who cares...?

In a year's time we'll have 2 new first round draftees, and Jefferson will essentially be a new draftee too with an extra 7 or 8kg on him. So that's how i'm treating him. Essentially we'll we'll be bringing in 3 first rounders next year :)

Dustin Fletcher anyone? He never put on standard AFL level body size to look at but was still strong enough.

Jeremy Cameron is hardly a behemoth.

If there’s enough talent and desire Jefferson will make it, but it’s unlikely he will be a forward who is rag-dolling defenders every week. How many forwards in modern footy even do that anyway?
Can only think of Hawkins, he's just naturally been big, though I heard he had to start laying off the maccas in the early days of his career.

Gonna be honest wasn't sold on this guy when we picked him up but his performances at Casey are showing a bit to work with. That first pack mark is so clean.

Gonna be honest wasn't sold on this guy when we picked him up but his performances at Casey are showing a bit to work with. That first pack mark is so clean.

Jeez he's getting practice with dog s**t entries. How slow is the ball movement even at VFL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jeez he's getting practice with dog s**t entries. How slow is the ball movement even at VFL
Yeah that's what I was thinking. The last goal the commentator is saying he was calling for it for an hour and he still got it. Timed his run and jump perfectly.

Still a while away before him and JVR are in the seniors every week but if we can spend that time adding to our midfield we could be in good shape for a few years.

He actually doesn't look like a complete rake anymore, so hopefully he can get his strength to AFL level at some point.

Lovely kicking action too.

He actually doesn't look like a complete rake anymore, so hopefully he can get his strength to AFL level at some point.

Lovely kicking action too.

He's not looking far away from Jye Amiss' build, and he's dominating in Freo's forwardline at the moment. Both listed at 86kg, but I reckon MJ is below that. Hopefully he's getting some seniors time early next year.

James Jordon took so damn long to get rid of the ball in the opening play. Not only did he ignore the short option (I say ignore but basically he didn't have the vision to even see him)and then he took half an hour to roll around and bang it inside 50m whereby there was about 36 players going up. Use your brain.

James Jordon took so damn long to get rid of the ball in the opening play. Not only did he ignore the short option (I say ignore but basically he didn't have the vision to even see him)and then he took half an hour to roll around and bang it inside 50m whereby there was about 36 players going up. Use your brain.

I noticed that too. Infuriating.

You weren't alone probably because he has the nice school boy look about him with a small frame. We've had a few of those types that haven’t worked out.

I noticed that too. Infuriating.

Picking his spots. You've gotta kick to a contest of 24 players, not six. How else are we meant to practice our contest. Did I mention contest? We're working incredibly hard on our contest. Come down to our environment and see.

You weren't alone probably because he has the nice school boy look about him with a small frame. We've had a few of those types that haven’t worked out.
I was reminded a bit of Jack Watts in how he reads the flight of the ball but it appears Jefferson can actually handle body contact.

Genuinely excited to see what JVR and Jefferson can do in the future, reckon they can be a quality combo who compliment each other well. See JVR being the brute deep and Jeff being the guy who can play higher and be a hit up target. Kind of like a Charlie Dixon and Todd Marshall combo.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back