Player Watch #21: Matthew Jefferson

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't imagine Fritsch ever being much bigger as an 18y/o.
I think the first few years (maybe his whole career) he'll need to be a 3rd tall, roaming type that beats opponents with agility/mobility. Gonna be a long time before he crashes any packs
I guess that's why he spent three years at VFL level and in injury rehab though. Could be an interesting list management proposition going forward if he takes as long as he looks he will.

There's a few on here getting their panties in a bunch over Jeffo's biceps. He looks no different to any other 18yo thats 2m tall.

Cook failed because he had the heart of a pea, and Watts just straight up didnt want it enough. None of this is related to being jacked at 18.

There's a few on here getting their panties in a bunch over Jeffo's biceps. He looks no different to any other 18yo thats 2m tall.

Cook failed because he had the heart of a pea, and Watts just straight up didnt want it enough. None of this is related to being jacked at 18.
Dustin Fletcher anyone? He never put on standard AFL level body size to look at but was still strong enough.

Jeremy Cameron is hardly a behemoth.

If there’s enough talent and desire Jefferson will make it, but it’s unlikely he will be a forward who is rag-dolling defenders every week. How many forwards in modern footy even do that anyway?

Dustin Fletcher anyone? He never put on standard AFL level body size to look at but was still strong enough.

Jeremy Cameron is hardly a behemoth.

If there’s enough talent and desire Jefferson will make it, but it’s unlikely he will be a forward who is rag-dolling defenders every week. How many forwards in modern footy even do that anyway?
I think it's more about having a real weapon. Could be height, speed, agility, strength. Most
decent kpf have a major weapon. Based purely on what we've seen of his, I'm not sure what weapon he has. Time will tell.

I think it's more about having a real weapon. Could be height, speed, agility, strength. Most
decent kpf have a major weapon. Based purely on what we've seen of his, I'm not sure what weapon he has. Time will tell.
His overhead marking looks pretty decent, and was rated as elite by the draft scribes. Won plenty of aerial and pack contests in the clips provided and not seen any commentary from anyone who know what they're talking about say any different.

He'll never be a Tom Hawkins, but his core strength looks fine. No better or worse than a Jezza Cameron type,which is what we need to compliment JVR.

His overhead marking looks pretty decent, and was rated as elite by the draft scribes. Won plenty of aerial and pack contests in the clips provided and not seen any commentary from anyone who know what they're talking about say any different.

He'll never be a Tom Hawkins, but his core strength looks fine. No better or worse than a Jezza Cameron type,which is what we need to compliment JVR.
Yep. Obviously a decent mark is always handy and hoping he doesn't mind the contest. Looking at JVR and his body type, I'm guessing he'll be the gorilla type so we'd need Jefe to be more agile. Could be a good combo if both reach potential

Peeps should go back and read the draft profiles for the King bros and Harry McKay. All three are slightly taller, all three very similar weights as jeffo.

The McKay write up was particularly scathing projected as a best case scenario Drew Pietrie type, or a Tyrone Vickery. Nek Minnit... Coleman medal...

I would say his weapons are his contested marking as well as his agility and reading of the play.

I mean, Watts wanted it enough to play 174 games of AFL football and kick 161 goals. Kicked 20+ goals in a season four times for us, including 38 in 2016. Seems like he wanted it at least a bit.

Peeps should go back and read the draft profiles for the King bros and Harry McKay. All three are slightly taller, all three very similar weights as jeffo.

The McKay write up was particularly scathing projected as a best case scenario Drew Pietrie type, or a Tyrone Vickery. Nek Minnit... Coleman medal...
The McKay bros looked like big boys. And the King bros had height and those long arms for reach. I don't get those vibes from.this kid that suggests anything other than a vanilla type of forward. But he's 18 and because he's drafted 1st round as a kpf, he'll have plenty of seasons to show what talent he has. I didn't think much of Ginnivan early days but he's proved he belongs at the level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure referencing Jefferson's current size is any knock on him long-term.
It's just an obvious point though that he is unlikely to have an AFL key forward ready body for at least 18-24 months, so there's no point having any expectation that he'll play seniors or at least play any good in the seniors in 2023. If he does then he must be pretty exceptional.

Yeah nah correct..

This is Harry McKay in his first every training session with Carlton on December 2nd 2015.
412685.jpg

This is Matthew Jefferson this week.

Screenshot_20221207_102348_Chrome.jpg

The similarities are scarily identical....

I mean, this is Ben King in his 2nd week at the Suns back in December 2018.. 642113.jpg

It's not a big deal as long as his courage in the contest is there. but yeah, he's 195cm, not 2m. And it's not close enough or I'll call him 190cm lol. Jefferson isn't a tall key forward by today's standards.

Just from his highlights vid, the player Jefferson reminds me most of is Jack Riewoldt.

Not a massive KPF by any standards, not super fast but has sticky hands, attacks packs pretty well, pretty good at ground level, nice kick for goal.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

McKay looks significantly stronger through the arms. Jefferson lacks definition at this stage.
Christ McKay looks like a strong young bloke, Jefferson looks allergic to weights.
Yeah it's the lack of definition for Jefferson which makes me think he's barely touched a weights program in his under 18's career.

Even looking at Ben King, he had the definition, and you could tell that he'd done a huge amount of work pre draft to get his body into the right shape.

Yeah it's the lack of definition for Jefferson which makes me think he's barely touched a weights program in his under 18's career.

Even looking at Ben King, he had the definition, and you could tell that he'd done a huge amount of work pre draft to get his body into the right shape.

That's the difference I reckon, not differences in natural body shape. Jefe's probably never been in the gym.

Will take him a while, but hopefully fills out and gains confidence once he gets going.

You honestly think Jefferson is listed a kilo below what McKay was at similar age?

I always take draftees height and weight with a grain of salt.

There is a significant big difference in body shape between McKay and Jefferson at similar age.
I honestly don't fap over pictures of dudes bodies. There weights are listed, I'm just quoting the stats. The numbers aren't from the clubs, so assume they're from the combine and its the last time that you can be sure the narative isnt being managed.

My personal opinion is I don't have massive hopes for Jeffo or JVR, but as long as they can compete (when they're ready) we'll be fine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back