Recommitted Matthew Kennedy [out of contract 2020]

Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders
Don’t think he’s necessarily gone backwards but hasn’t become what we projected yet. Still always in the better players at VFL level. Injuries and Cripps’ dominance probably the two major factors as to why he hasn’t made the next step yet.

Has always been somewhat limited but I think he as a place at AFL level. Hope we stick with him.

He's gone from a very good contributor and one of our best young players in a year in which we made a preliminary final, to playing VFL football for the reigning wooden-spooner. I really like Matt Kennedy on and off the field but I am genuinely surprised to hear you don't think he has regressed.

zepender

Debutant
May 22, 2019
Ladder Purgatory
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool
Haven't been to the VFL (across the pond), so can only say I've seen from streams of games etc. He's looked a step slow. Finds plenty of it but doesn't seem to do damage. The 1s have been screaming out for a bigger body so imagine he's probably in line for a call-up.

LFTWNG11

Club Legend
Jun 27, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
S.S. Lazio
He's gone from a very good contributor and one of our best young players in a year in which we made a preliminary final, to playing VFL football for the reigning wooden-spooner. I really like Matt Kennedy on and off the field but I am genuinely surprised to hear you don't think he has regressed.
It's fair to say he has definitely gone backwards from his GWS days - I would say alarmingly so.

No1Suspect

Premiership Player
Aug 11, 2010
In the shadows
AFL Club
Carlton
It's fair to say he has definitely gone backwards from his GWS days - I would say alarmingly so.

Id say the ankle in round 1, being rushed back only to reinjure said ankle and the shoulder probably didnt help his development last year.
Pretty sure there was a thumb operation in there as well, happy to be corrected if thats not the case.

BigFrizz36

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 20, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Id say the ankle in round 1, being rushed back only to reinjure said ankle and the shoulder probably didnt help his development last year.
Pretty sure there was a thumb operation in there as well, happy to be corrected if thats not the case.
Come on mate don't let facts get in the way of people pushing their own personal agendas.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Injuries the last 2 years have ruined his chances of getting any continuity. I think next year Kennedy could burst onto the scene and have a breakout season for Carlton.

Hope so. Not seen enough of him so far to even really know. The little I have seen suggests he can be an inside bull. But whether he make it and can distribute it well I still do not know until I seen him play a number of games in a row. That has been the issue last year and this of so far he barely got continuity to even know. I will be excited if he can be another bull as we seem to have enough of the other young types in mids and just lack one more inside player there.

BlueJet

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
North Ballarat
His performances with GWS were certainly better than anything he's delivered with the Blues, IMO he's been misused which coupled with his run with injuries would go some way to explaining it - never mind playing in a weaker side.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong

What was his running like when up against the others at training or preseason ... you need to be a good runner and good at spread ..?

Vic pokiesmon

All Australian
Jul 16, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Disagree with this.He was ordinary at gws and his deficiencies we're clearly evident.Never looked at the same level of Hopper etc.Had his opportunities but simply wasn't good enough.I remember sitting with another players Dad who knew him well and he totally agreed with me.Nice guy and hope im wrong but I don't think he will make it

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Disagree with this.He was ordinary at gws and his deficiencies we're clearly evident.Never looked at the same level of Hopper etc.Had his opportunities but simply wasn't good enough.I remember sitting with another players Dad who knew him well and he totally agreed with me.Nice guy and hope im wrong but I don't think he will make it

My memory was seeing some pretty good signs from Kennedy in his second year with GWS...played 16 games.

BigFrizz36

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 20, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Problem could be that he plays the same style game as cripps but obviously not as well. Went back to the vfl on sunday and had 30 touches with 12 clearances i think. Can obviously play but needs to find a role that consists of him doing things that cripps doesn't.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
He needs to make the rest of winter count, big time to revive his young career. If he languishes in the reserves rest of season and does not show he is way above then could be on scrapheap. Here is hoping he extracts the digit. To be fair he had injuries last year and pre-season this season but now he should be able to show what he has got in his football kit bag. Plenty of matches left to make this season count.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Problem could be that he plays the same style game as cripps but obviously not as well. Went back to the vfl on sunday and had 30 touches with 12 clearances i think. Can obviously play but needs to find a role that consists of him doing things that cripps doesn't.

I wouldn't be taking much out of that performance to be honest against Coburg which are 2nd last and have very little depth. Coburg have only won 1 game and that was against frankston who are yet to win a game and have a % of 45%.

NB should have won that game by 12 goals and were terrible in front of goals
14.15.99 d 13.4.82

Back