Recommitted Matthew Kennedy [out of contract 2020]

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
Currently cant get a game at the Blues despite really strong form at VFL level.

Carlton have a very young, talented midfield with guys like Cripps, Dow, Walsh, O'brien, SPS etc but outisde of Cripps and a raw Dow they could use a clearance and contested possession boost.

Is he out of favour or is there something he needs to work on or isnt doing that the coaching staff wants?

More pertinently is he gettable if he continues not to get picked or is that unrealistic... A number of teams were keen 2 years ago

No leg speed but should still be getting a game at the worst club in the league. Development at Blues is bizzare, McKay couldn't get a regular game for years yet as soon as he does he dominates matches yet a guy like Dow gets heaps of matches and does stuff all whilst other mids are in the 2nds. Has a boy's club/coaches pets feel to the place.

Has had some injury issues over the past few years.

Appears to be behind Setterfield for now but don’t think his form at VFL level has been as strong as the OP suggests.

He’ll feature at senior level at some stage this year and I’d be very surprised if we saw him elsewhere in 2020.

No leg speed but should still be getting a game at the worst club in the league. Development at Blues is bizzare, McKay couldn't get a regular game for years yet as soon as he does he dominates matches yet a guy like Dow gets heaps of matches and does stuff all whilst other mids are in the 2nds. Has a boy's club/coaches pets feel to the place.

McKay had a heap of injuries to contend with over his first 2 years in the system.

I won’t let facts get in the way of a good story though. :rolleyes:

Hopefully in the 1s this week as we are crying out for a player like him. Projects to be a decent second tier mid if he can get over a few injuries.

Feel like the Blues held him back a bit after liking the Folau post. Just to keep him out of the spotlight, but I wouldn’t know.

Probably worth a late 4th rounder and a packet of chips. As mentioned above, always look a yard off the pace and doesn't have the inside nous you would expect.

Was disappointed when he left.
What the hell did Carlton do to him?

He has had injury issues, but they're not in play any more and Matthew hasn't really fronted up with any form to date.

Dropped from playing the the JLT match and hasn't recovered since.
Watching him in the VFL has shown up someone not in particularly great form and somewhat slow not so much by foot but by mind.

He's better than he has shown up, but I'm sort of left wondering......just how much better. We'll see.

Probably picked this week. Seems like most posters today got no idea of seeing him this year with exception of Harker whom believe has actually gone to VFL games himself. Barely played more than one or two weeks in a row from what I remember.
If he needs match fitness after interrupted pre-season then play him in as much VFL games as possible. After a bye in VFL he was not played in seniors or reserves last week so very confusing why he was forced to be an emergency. Has to play this week is only thing that makes sense to me given how poor our young undersized midfielders were last week. He is still young himself but least has much bigger body than the teenagers and 20 year olds in the centre square last week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously no idea why he isn't being played. Hasn't had great VFL form, then again neither did O'Brien, Stocker looked decent but wasn't tearing it up... He's exactly what we need in the team right now, and we're managing Setterfield's midfield minutes almost to our detriment.

I hope we get to see him in the team soon, as we're actually hurting his development IMO, and his absence is possibly affecting the team as a whole.

Gave up pick 28 for him in 2017, one of the picks they got from us for trading us pick 16. Doubt any team would offer a second rounder for him now. Probably best to keep him and hope it pans out.

Currently cant get a game at the Blues despite really strong form at VFL level.

Carlton have a very young, talented midfield with guys like Cripps, Dow, Walsh, O'brien, SPS etc but outisde of Cripps and a raw Dow they could use a clearance and contested possession boost.

Is he out of favour or is there something he needs to work on or isnt doing that the coaching staff wants?

More pertinently is he gettable if he continues not to get picked or is that unrealistic... A number of teams were keen 2 years ago
What strong form?

Would love to have him back at the Giants. Was ahead of Hopper at the time he left, but has gone backwards very quickly.

Don’t think he’s necessarily gone backwards but hasn’t become what we projected yet. Still always in the better players at VFL level. Injuries and Cripps’ dominance probably the two major factors as to why he hasn’t made the next step yet.

Has always been somewhat limited but I think he as a place at AFL level. Hope we stick with him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back