Ants

Premiership Player
Sep 27, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon
Pick 1 or 2 and Kreuzer is not a bad deal.

It's a good deal for both teams due to GWS' need to trim salary, get another quality veteran and get a top 2 pick next year.
You think if Carlton add Shiel, Setterfield, McGovern, Walsh, Fasolo and Docherty into the side they’ll still finish bottom 2? I wouldn’t take that bet if I was GWS.

pinot

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 14, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
You think if Carlton add Shiel, Setterfield, McGovern, Walsh, Fasolo and Docherty into the side they’ll still finish bottom 2? I wouldn’t take that bet if I was GWS.

we have suffered injury crisis over past few years and used it as excuse. The depth would be great with those additions

Ancient Tiger

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Sep 18, 2007
Richmond
AFL Club
Richmond
youre getting confused. that was THIS year.
he played almost every game last year, made the squad and tbh according to most was unlucky to miss out to Ryder.
But isn't this years health far more relevant than last years? Unless he's Benjamin Button, he's not getting any younger and soft tissue injuries as well as his heart complaint won't suddenly become less likely.

Love the Drake

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2013
Mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
But isn't this years health far more relevant than last years? Unless he's Benjamin Button, he's not getting any younger and soft tissue injuries as well as his heart complaint won't suddenly become less likely.
A bloke called Andrew Russell might disagree with that.
Burgoyne was broken when he got to hawthorn 9 years ago. He had a degenerative knee that was only going to get worse, 201 games later he’s still going ..

Lindsay_Gilbee

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Burgoyne was broken when he got to hawthorn 9 years ago. He had a degenerative knee that was only going to get worse, 201 games later he’s still going ..
Burgoyne could be the exception not the rule. Just cause he fixed one dude doesn’t mean he’s going to fix every single person he comes in contact with.

Ancient Tiger

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Sep 18, 2007
Richmond
AFL Club
Richmond
There is nothing magical about Andrew Russell. He is good at his job and that's it. Burgoyne was much younger than Kreuzer and thus had much better regenerative capabilities. He also may have been poorly diagnosed in Adelaide. We don't know enough to comment on Burgoyne.

Love the Drake

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2013
Mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
There is nothing magical about Andrew Russell. He is good at his job and that's it. Burgoyne was much younger than Kreuzer and thus had much better regenerative capabilities. He also may have been poorly diagnosed in Adelaide. We don't know enough to comment on Burgoyne.
If you are going to reply to posts and question them make sure you have done your research.
No-one has said Russell is magical, however he is recognised within the industry as the best.
Burgoyne was 28 when recruited to hawthorn. Kruezer is 29.
And finally, how can you say on the one hand that “Burgoyne could have been misdiagnosed, we don’t know enough to comment”, yet you are freely commenting about kruezer? Do you know enough to comment? You can’t have it both ways.

Love the Drake

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2013
Mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
Burgoyne could be the exception not the rule. Just cause he fixed one dude doesn’t mean he’s going to fix every single person he comes in contact with.
Burgoyne isn’t the only player Russell ‘fixed’. Jaeger Omeara is another one. Plus players like Shane Crawford credit him with keeping him on the park at the end of his career.
FYI - He’s been fitness conditioning coach and high performance manager at Essendon, Port Adelaide and hawthorn in premiership years.
He’s fixed more than one dude..

Ancient Tiger

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Sep 18, 2007
Richmond
AFL Club
Richmond
If you are going to reply to posts and question them make sure you have done your research.
No-one has said Russell is magical, however he is recognised within the industry as the best.
Burgoyne was 28 when recruited to hawthorn. Kruezer is 29.
And finally, how can you say on the one hand that “Burgoyne could have been misdiagnosed, we don’t know enough to comment”, yet you are freely commenting about kruezer? Do you know enough to comment? You can’t have it both ways.
Firstly, please do your research properly. Kreuzer is spelled this way and NOT Kruezer. Secondly, when Burgoyne was recruited it was at the end of the 2009 season when he had just turned 27. So Hawthorn got him when he was 27, not 28. Kreuzer is currently 29 and will turn 30 in the first half of the season. That is a difference of almost 2 and a half years. Add to the fact that we have contemporary information on Kreuzer that we can update on the fly but with Burgoyne we have historical information which is much harder to verify and my comments seem much more reasonable. Also Kreuzer is a much bigger man and puts much greater stresses on his body and joints as well as playing in a crash and bash position. He is more susceptible to wear and tear because of this.
See, I can have it both ways.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Firstly, please do your research properly. Kreuzer is spelled this way and NOT Kruezer. Secondly, when Burgoyne was recruited it was at the end of the 2009 season when he had just turned 27. So Hawthorn got him when he was 27, not 28. Kreuzer is currently 29 and will turn 30 in the first half of the season. That is a difference of almost 2 and a half years. Add to the fact that we have contemporary information on Kreuzer that we can update on the fly but with Burgoyne we have historical information which is much harder to verify and my comments seem much more reasonable. Also Kreuzer is a much bigger man and puts much greater stresses on his body and joints as well as playing in a crash and bash position. He is more susceptible to wear and tear because of this.

So you are saying Russell is only effective for certain aged players, types and certain injuries

Play on

Ancient Tiger

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Sep 18, 2007
Richmond
AFL Club
Richmond
So you are saying Russell is only effective for certain aged players, types and certain injuries

Play on
Now that is a stupid comment.

I'm saying the guy is very good but no miracle maker. Look at his management of Grant Birchall for instance. If we looked at him in isolation you'd think he was a crap high performance guy. Cyril could hardly get on the park with this guy managing him too.

The stone cold fact is he is good but no better than most of the top teams high performance guys. Fact.

Love the Drake

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2013
Mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
Thanks for the quick reply AT; I love a good p1ssing contest. Everyone else..please don’t feel the need to read on, this is all boring point scoring.

Clutching at straws much?
You stated that Burgoyne was “much younger” than kruezer at the time of his knee injury. Two and a half years is a lot to a 5 year old.....but not much to a 27/29 year old.

Re your ‘research’ difficulties- the Burgoyne injury was in 2010. That’s hardly ‘historical’ as per your comment above. I’ll give you a tip.. the internet was around in 2010, you don’t have to go to the library to verify the Burgoyne info, just google it (as you are doing with kruezer).

Still don’t get how you say Burgoyne could have been misdiagnosed (the sceptics would suggest you did this to suit your own argument)? Where did you get this information from? Very interested in your response as I’ve never heard this.

Also, your suggestion that ruckman don’t last as long as other players is simply wrong.
Current AFL ruckman:
Sandilands is 36
Mumford and Jacobs 32
Goldstein is 31

Ruckman to have played 300 games:
Paul salmon was 37 when he retired
J madden was 35 when he retired
Bazza Round was 35 when he retired
Gary Dempsey was 35 when he retired
S Madden was 34 when he retired
John Nicholls was 34 when he retired
Sam Newman was 34 when he retired
Don Scott was 33 when he retired
Len Thompson was 32 when he retired

All these players rucked entire games as the only ruckman in the team. All big boys, with the majority playing after significant injury and playing a “crash & bash” style of game as per your comment. None had a high performance coach managing them.

Goodes, Stuey Loewe, Cloke, Roger Merrett & Petrie all played as ruckmen during their career. All played over 300 games.

Just a hint - leave a blank line between paragraphs, otherwise it’s very difficult to read. Particularly on an iPhone.

You see, you can’t have it both ways.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Now that is a stupid comment.

I'm saying the guy is very good but no miracle maker. Look at his management of Grant Birchall for instance. If we looked at him in isolation you'd think he was a crap high performance guy. Cyril could hardly get on the park with this guy managing him too.

The stone cold fact is he is good but no better than most of the top teams high performance guys. Fact.

So you are picking one guy in Birchall for his whole time at the Hawks?

As for Rioli, they altered his running style and hence improved the reoccurring hamstring injuries.

No high performance person is a miracle worker, but Russell has built a formidable reputation as one of the best in his field, in the AFL, over the last 2 decades. Would you concede that?

Whether that has a positive flow on effect for MK, is yet to be see, nor will MK make or break our rebuild

Ancient Tiger

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Sep 18, 2007
Richmond
AFL Club
Richmond
So you are picking one guy in Birchall for his whole time at the Hawks?

As for Rioli, they altered his running style and hence improved the reoccurring hamstring injuries.

No high performance person is a miracle worker, but Russell has built a formidable reputation as one of the best in his field, in the AFL, over the last 2 decades. Would you concede that?

Whether that has a positive flow on effect for MK, is yet to be see, nor will MK make or break our rebuild
Why don't you actually read what I post. I said he is up there with the best of the high performance mangers. However he is no better than any of them. Equal doesn't mean better but it also doesn't mean worse. They are all up with the latest in injury management. Some players like Burgoyne respond but others like Birchall do not. No slur on him.

What you can say is he is probably a huge upgrade on what you had down there. I have my contacts at Carlton and I can tell you how shocked at the poor level of fitness your guys had when he got down there so you will definitely see an improvement.

Ancient Tiger

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Sep 18, 2007
Richmond
AFL Club
Richmond
Thanks for the quick reply AT; I love a good p1ssing contest. Everyone else..please don’t feel the need to read on, this is all boring point scoring.

Clutching at straws much?
You stated that Burgoyne was “much younger” than kruezer at the time of his knee injury. Two and a half years is a lot to a 5 year old.....but not much to a 27/29 year old.

Re your ‘research’ difficulties- the Burgoyne injury was in 2010. That’s hardly ‘historical’ as per your comment above. I’ll give you a tip.. the internet was around in 2010, you don’t have to go to the library to verify the Burgoyne info, just google it (as you are doing with kruezer).

Still don’t get how you say Burgoyne could have been misdiagnosed (the sceptics would suggest you did this to suit your own argument)? Where did you get this information from? Very interested in your response as I’ve never heard this.

Also, your suggestion that ruckman don’t last as long as other players is simply wrong.
Current AFL ruckman:
Sandilands is 36
Mumford and Jacobs 32
Goldstein is 31

Ruckman to have played 300 games:
Paul salmon was 37 when he retired
J madden was 35 when he retired
Bazza Round was 35 when he retired
Gary Dempsey was 35 when he retired
S Madden was 34 when he retired
John Nicholls was 34 when he retired
Sam Newman was 34 when he retired
Don Scott was 33 when he retired
Len Thompson was 32 when he retired

All these players rucked entire games as the only ruckman in the team. All big boys, with the majority playing after significant injury and playing a “crash & bash” style of game as per your comment. None had a high performance coach managing them.

Goodes, Stuey Loewe, Cloke, Roger Merrett & Petrie all played as ruckmen during their career. All played over 300 games.

Just a hint - leave a blank line between paragraphs, otherwise it’s very difficult to read. Particularly on an iPhone.

You see, you can’t have it both ways.
Rucks play a very different role today if you hadn't noticed....

Learn to actually spell the names of your own players correctly as it is hard to take someone seriously who misspells his own team's player's names....

It's KREUZER not KRUEZER. Really.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Why don't you actually read what I post. I said he is up there with the best of the high performance mangers. However he is no better than any of them. Equal doesn't mean better but it also doesn't mean worse. They are all up with the latest in injury management. Some players like Burgoyne respond but others like Birchall do not. No slur on him.

What you can say is he is probably a huge upgrade on what you had down there. I have my contacts at Carlton and I can tell you how shocked at the poor level of fitness your guys had when he got down there so you will definitely see an improvement.

If you want to describe him as equal to others, go ahead, his record speaks for itself

As for our past, no one is arguing

Love the Drake

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2013
Mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
Rucks play a very different role today if you hadn't noticed....

Learn to actually spell the names of your own players correctly as it is hard to take someone seriously who misspells his own team's player's names....

It's KREUZER not KRUEZER. Really.
Now I know I’ve pulled your pants down in public, but no need to emphasise that I can’t spell Kruezers name 😜. I’ve done it for 10 years...bad habits!

I understand how frustrating it must be for you to have this as your only win. But I’ll add to your frustration and correct you again.

The AFL introduced the centre circle line to LIMIT knee injuries to ruckmen. You see before this, there was far more crash and bash and impact causing knee injuries. So today’s ruckman is a lot lighter, runs more and there is less impact/crash&bash. Sort of goes against what you are suggesting.

A bit of advice from an old timer...when you keep getting exposed for non factual and incorrect posts it’s better to save some credibility and concede rather than blindly fighting on and losing ALL credibility.

And I’ll ask for the third time, because you have conveniently forgotten to answer...When you say Burgoyne could have been misdiagnosed. Where did you get this information from? Very interested in your response as I’ve never heard this. The sceptics would suggest you made this up to suit your own argument)?

Love the Drake

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2013
Mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton

Yep. Your contact is ‘captain google’. This information is common knowledge and on record in BF.

Last edited:

Ancient Tiger

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Sep 18, 2007
Richmond
AFL Club
Richmond
Now I know I’ve pulled your pants down in public, but no need to emphasise that I can’t spell Kruezers name 😜. I’ve done it for 10 years...bad habits!

I understand how frustrating it must be for you to have this as your only win. But I’ll add to your frustration and correct you again.

The AFL introduced the centre circle line to LIMIT knee injuries to ruckmen. You see before this, there was far more crash and bash and impact causing knee injuries. So today’s ruckman is a lot lighter, runs more and there is less impact/crash&bash. Sort of goes against what you are suggesting.

A bit of advice from an old timer...when you keep getting exposed for non factual and incorrect posts it’s better to save some credibility and concede rather than blindly fighting on and losing ALL credibility.

And I’ll ask for the third time, because you have conveniently forgotten to answer...When you say Burgoyne could have been misdiagnosed. Where did you get this information from? Very interested in your response as I’ve never heard this. The sceptics would suggest you made this up to suit your own argument)?
Firstly I've pulled your pants down as you cannot spell the guys name let alone argue anything else.

Secondly, ruckmen do much more than just ruck these days as compared to yesteryear. The amount of running for example is just so much more. This puts more stress on their bodies which carry the extra bulk to make them stronger in the crash and bash type ruck duels. So the kilometers they clock up are so much more. This in turn creates new injuries especially on toes, feet, knees and hips - the areas that take the stress load.

Thirdly, when I said Burgoyne could have been misdiagnosed, I wasn't necessarily talking about the actual diagnosis but the severity of the problem. That is highly probable. The diagnosis was that of knee joint degeneration. The calculation of the severity is completely arbitrary in medicine. It is usually calculated from both radiological/MRI scans and symptoms. MRI machines circa 2010 resolved far less than they do now for instance. His symptoms may also have been exaggerated from substandard treatment at Port Adelaide. The fact he has continued to play till today supports my views completely.

I hope it's not too breezy between your legs with your pants around your ankles.

Love the Drake

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2013
Mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
Firstly I've pulled your pants down as you cannot spell the guys name let alone argue anything else.

Secondly, ruckmen do much more than just ruck these days as compared to yesteryear. The amount of running for example is just so much more. This puts more stress on their bodies which carry the extra bulk to make them stronger in the crash and bash type ruck duels. So the kilometers they clock up are so much more. This in turn creates new injuries especially on toes, feet, knees and hips - the areas that take the stress load.

Thirdly, when I said Burgoyne could have been misdiagnosed, I wasn't necessarily talking about the actual diagnosis but the severity of the problem. That is highly probable. The diagnosis was that of knee joint degeneration. The calculation of the severity is completely arbitrary in medicine. It is usually calculated from both radiological/MRI scans and symptoms. MRI machines circa 2010 resolved far less than they do now for instance. His symptoms may also have been exaggerated from substandard treatment at Port Adelaide. The fact he has continued to play till today supports my views completely.

I hope it's not too breezy between your legs with your pants around your ankles.
As my dear departed old uncle used to say “no prize for second”. The pants pulled down line was mine thanks, find your own.

Flower up your ‘misdiagnosis’ line as much as you like....You are guessing and making assumptions. Your supporting arguments are lame.

Another correction - ruckmen are lighter today than they’ve ever been. Gawn lost 10 kg just to keep up. They are leaner, lighter, prepare professionally and train way more. Most are on individual programs (as our guru Russell has Kruezer😜 on). Their diet is lean meats, fruit and rehydration drinks rather than the pies, smokes and beer of yesteryears ruckmen.

Credit where credit is due though...your correction of my kruezer 😜 spelling is a nice win for you and you’ve taken my advice and separated your paragraphs which is much easier to read....no need to thank me.

Back