Traded Matthew Leuenberger (2006-2015)

Remove this Banner Ad

Having had Achilles tendonitis for the best part of 18 months a while back, it can certainly be painful but not necessarily restrictive in the context of playing sport. It tends to be more of an issue when cold and an annoyance when getting up in the morning, resuming activity after sitting down or when initially warming up. I suppose every case could have its differences though.

Apart from that, is it too early to put Leuenberger up as my tip for the 2012 B&F?

Round 3 Preview

Matthew Leuenberger had a terrific 2011 to move himself to the second bracket of elite ruckmen around the AFL. In Aaron Sandilands, he comes up against the benchmark on Saturday night, and his impact could not only enhance his own reputation, but go a long way towards giving the Lions a fighting chance.

leuenberger124.jpg

Giant double acts in ruck rule out critics
The West Australian
April 13, 2012, 7:33 am

Leuenberger said the recruiting of Hudson to the Lions this season had been a bonus for him because talks with the veteran had given him a perspective of how other clubs viewed his strengths and weaknesses. He said it was obvious the ruck position had become more important, particularly because of the strangling defensive tactics employed by most teams.
"You go through most teams' structures during the week and a lot of play tends to go through the ruckmen," Leuenberger said.
"With the forward press, you've got to have that bale-out option to generally go long to your big man to try and nullify it at times. That's been good for bringing back the role of the ruckman.
"If you've got a ruckman who can take those marks or provide the contest and follow it up, then most clubs would generally be on to a good thing."
"It's not like it makes me prepare any differently, but it's great that the role is back in and teams are starting to go more in favour of having two ruckmen and make one of them like a key forward pinching in."
Leuenberger said he would lean on the stoppage knowledge of former Fremantle coach Mark Harvey, now an assistant to Michael Voss at Brisbane, in his preparations for another Sandilands challenge.

leuenberger51.jpg

Fyfe, Leuenberger injured
By Dave Reed
5:39 PM Sat 14 Apr, 2012

FREMANTLE and the Brisbane Lions have both activated their subs after suffering injuries to key players before half-time of their match at Patersons Stadium. The Lions lost Matthew Leuenberger to what looked like an achilles problem midway through the second term.

leuenberger.jpg

Link ....

Leuenberger has suffered tendonitis of his achilles in the past months and it was that area where Lions medical staff treated when he was subbed out of the game. Should he be ruled out of the derby, the Lions will be without their two most important midfield players with Simon Black also out with a broken hand.

leuenberger128.jpg

This is not a good look for the medical department.

Michael Voss

Voss said he was hopeful that ruckman Matthew Leuenberger, subbed off injured in the second term, would not be out of action for too long.

"It's just his calf, it's more partial so it's about getting scans done. It's not major but we've got to get scans and confirm what it is," Voss said.

leuenberger128.jpg

My first game - Matthew Leuenberger
The West Australian
April 13, 2012, 7:11 am

I think we were 10/1 odds to win and we won over at Subi.They were the Cox-Kerr-Judd midfield days and I just remember running out of the tunnel and just the atmosphere of the crowd. That was the one thing that really blew me away initially because I'd never really played in from the of more than 2000 at WAFL level.

So just to run out in front of a full crowd at Subi, which is where I'd watched all my footy as a kid, was quite surreal. Then to look across and see all those players I'd seen so much of being a WA boy, was pretty huge. It was also quite weird to go from playing against kids your own age to the stars of the competition in front of 40-odd thousand.

leuenberger22.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A six week injury to Bergs, confirmed on the club's website :thumbsdown:

So it seems that on average, for every time we play Freo we lose a key player for three games running!

s**t...

Recruiting Hudson pays off very early.

Hope he and Billy can stay fit until Leuey's return.Medical staff need to take the time to get Leuey right. Don't want him turning into a Charman. That would be a disaster situation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back