Matthew Lloyd/ Kane Cornes believe Jack Reiwoldt’s tears will be used against him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Stax on the mill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Some discussion on Footy Classified last night about Jack Reiwoldt baring his soul and admitting to crying at having to leave his family behind when Richmond enters it’s playing hub. Matthew Lloyd and Kane Cornes think that opponents will use it as a weapon against Reiwoldt. Just wondering whether people think this is a legitimate tactic, or whether in these unprecedented times that sort of personal stuff is crossing the line and therefore off limits.

Some discussion on Footy Classified last night about Jack Reiwoldt baring his soul and admitting to crying at having to leave his family behind when Richmond enters it’s playing hub. Matthew Lloyd and Kane Cornes think that opponents will use it as a weapon against Reiwoldt. Just wondering whether people think this is a legitimate tactic, or whether in these unprecedented times that sort of personal stuff is crossing the line and therefore off limits.

Suck it the * up, what about Fifo workers, soliders and other military staff if you don't like it stay home

I think all of these footballers and Media personalities such as Gerard Whately need a serious reality check. They are in a bubble.

Not here to whack him for being vulnerable, but their comments and views on the plight of a footballer is in very poor taste given the situation many Australians find themselves in.

They need to be very careful IMO.

Hardship is subjective and relative to the experiences in your past.

There are people who could be turfed into a tent on the beach with a box of tinned food and a sleeping bag for a month who will complain less than a person who has to sleep in the spare room of their own home while their bedroom is being painted.

I won't be condemning Jack for valuing his family enough to be so torn up over leaving them. I would if he was laughing and joking about all the mischief he will get up to while he is away and not under the oppressive thumb of his partner and the burden of being a parent.

Don't we want dads and husbands to not be happy about spending time away from their families?

Suck it the fu** up, what about Fifo workers, soliders and other military staff if you don't like it stay home

He did though, he still went up there. To me that is sucking it up regardless of whether he shed a tear or not.

Its been a tough year for everyone, who are we to gatekeep when people can and cant feel/express emotions?

He did though, he still went up there. To me that is sucking it up regardless of whether he shed a tear or not.

Its been a tough year for everyone, who are we to gatekeep when people can and cant feel/express emotions?
I just compare that to a mate was told you go off shore miss the birth of your kid or stay here and you will have wait 2 more months before going off shore again. He just needs to sack up stay behind like Houli/Edwards or go and not be a baby about things

I just compare that to a mate was told you go off shore miss the birth of your kid or stay here and you will have wait 2 more months before going off shore again. He just needs to sack up stay behind like Houli/Edwards or go and not be a baby about things
How is he being a baby?

He said he shed a tear? Wtf cares? I am sure soldiers do the same thing.

The fact this was even made into a story is a disgrace.

In fairness though, he said he cried like a baby? He Probably could have worded it better to sound less “dramatic”. Probably still would have received criticism though.

Suck it the fu** up, what about Fifo workers, soliders and other military staff if you don't like it stay home
Fifo workers and ADF staff sign up knowing that's the case. There is the difference.

I'd be surprised if most if not all players that are fathers to young children/have pregnant wives didn't question going into a hub and leaving them. Especially those from Vic who's family are now in lockdown or with family interstate that can't get help.

There's no doubt the more experienced senior players who have already experienced a premiership or two would have a more difficult time 'sucking it up' given they've reached the peak before.

Bit too honest for his own good sometimes Jack.

And so they should be used against him.

You can't tell the whole country that you cried like a baby for something as lame as going away for a few weeks and not expect any repercussions.

Hopefully the Sydney backline bully him into kicking goals again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has history with his bushfire comments earlier in the year, showing how self involved he really has become.

Still getting paid a decent size wage compared to nearly every australian, for doing a job that he can continue to do and he obviously loves.

Dont like the move to the hub? give back your money for that period of time and stay home, im sure your emotional state will change quick enough

Spot on.

It's 6 weeks into a GC resort, with their medico's, chefs, trainers etc - not a 1 year deployment to Afghanistan.

My best mate spends 6 months of the year in Europe and Asia on business with 3 kids under 5.

Some of these AFL players live the most sheltered lives, honestly.

I don't get this argument. FIFO workers, soldiers etc, all signed up knowing they'd be away for long periods of time. AFL Footballers did not. I don't care either way what the players do, but this argument just seems stupid to me.

Was there a genuine reason why his wife and daughter didn't go with him?

Yeah, seems like some clubs are taking wives and kids with them yet Richmond are leaving them behind along with a bunch of players they don't believe will be required. Port did a similar thing and it obviously worked well so it'll be interesting to see how it goes for the Tigers. Wouldn't want many injuries.

I don't get this argument. FIFO workers, soldiers etc, all signed up knowing they'd be away for long periods of time. AFL Footballers did not. I don't care either way what the players do, but this argument just seems stupid to me.

Not sure this is right either Quivorir

The AFL players sign up knowing they will be on the road for a certain amount of the season.

If he plays 6 games in a row on the GC and plays the remainder of the season at the MCG is it any diffent to what he was signing up for?

Riewoldt as a Richmond player cannot seriously complain about the amount of travel he does.

Spot on.

It's 6 weeks into a GC resort, with their medico's, chefs, trainers etc - not a 1 year deployment to Afghanistan.

My best mate spends 6 months of the year in Europe and Asia on business with 3 kids under 5.

Some of these AFL players live the most sheltered lives, honestly.

Ah the others have it worse argument.

Its so flawed, theres also people who have kt worse than your average soldier being deployed to afghanastan, and there who have it worse than them etc etc.

Its like saying someone shouldnt be happy because theres others in the world with better lives than them.

Thought his complaints about pay cuts earlier in the year were out of touch. If there ain't no money, why do you expect to continue to be paid in full?

Can understand players being concerned about leaving family for at least five weeks in the current circumstances. Opportunities for social interaction are very limited and some partners won't deal with it as well as others. It's a significant sacrifice and not something they signed up for. Will be interesting to see whether such dissent permeates through clubs.

Anything said in public is fair game and if opponents attempt to use it against him then fair enough. Jack's not in the best of form and may have put more pressure on himself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back