Matthew Lloyd on Open Mike

Remove this Banner Ad

Why didn't Lloyd take the opportunity to remind Clarko of the fact that he'd probably committed one of the worst sniper-thugs-acts of all time when he King-hit Atkins from Carlton in the infamous Battle of London exhibition game? A perfect chance to put the little rat back in his place.

Good insightful interview though.

Yes indeed. The young footy fans of today would be shocked by the disgusting gutless acts dished out by that evil little hobbit during his ordinary career.

Let's continue rewriting history - Lloyd's best form in his last 2 years was when he played as a high forward - Think the move prolonged Lloyd's career - Lloyd never recovered from tearing his hamstring off the bone in 2006.
I long for a year where a forward of ours has 'not recovered' and still kicks 62 goals in a season as he did in 2007 and 2008.

Lloyd
Fletcher
Hird
Lucas

Of the guys no longer playing anyway, and I believe removing ones still playing from the discussion allows you to be a little more objective with yourself.

Hird
Madden
T Watson
Lloyd
Mercuri
Long
Fletcher
Baker
T Daniher
Bewick

that's an off-the-cuff top 10 with no rhyme or reason. just who I enjoyed watching the most.

Hird
Madden
T Watson
Lloyd
Mercuri
Long
Fletcher
Baker
T Daniher
Bewick

that's an off-the-cuff top 10 with no rhyme or reason. just who I enjoyed watching the most.

Pretty much mine too.

But the psychotic 5 of JJ, Harvey, MJ, Hardwick and Solly is there for me too just for memories of all that great entertaining violence.

Loved the interview.

Great, great, champion player. His 2003 and 2004 are very underrated. Some (usually very jealous opposition fans) tried to discount some of his achievements from 99-01 because of how good the side was, but our midfield especially was pretty bog average in 2003 and 2004 and he still dominated.

Pretty much mine too.

But the psychotic 5 of JJ, Harvey, MJ, Hardwick and Solly is there for me too just for memories of all that great entertaining violence.

not to mention Roger the dodger. he was the hit man for a while there. the enforcer.

I feel bad for leaving out Harvey. I had #1 on my jumper from 89-96.... the most courageous player I've ever seen.

Humble is the word alright.

Said he was lucky he had such talent surrounding him.

i doubt we would've had a season average winning margin of 7 goals in 2000 without him.

Hell, we might have been a totally different side. Caracalla at full forward!

Hird
Madden
T Watson
Lloyd
Mercuri
Long
Fletcher
Baker
T Daniher
Bewick

Like that list but might swap Bewick for Alan Ezard, just loved watching him, I remember the great mark he took over Justin Maddan at Waverly, many years later I was talking to Justin and we agreed that it was a great mark considering how high off the ground Ezard was when he took it.

not to mention Roger the dodger. he was the hit man for a while there. the enforcer.

I feel bad for leaving out Harvey. I had #1 on my jumper from 89-96.... the most courageous player I've ever seen.

Yeah it's too hard a top 10.

Roger, Foulds, Bomber, Nobby Clarke, Daisy, Vanders, GO'D...the list goes on and on.

But Timmy and Mercuri are the two that pull my heart strings the most.

Magicians.

So can we stop asking for him to come back to coach Daniher now

Well Hirdy isn't there anymore so can't see why he can't come back and continue the job.

Only 3 or 4 more flaws to fix and Joe will be banging em through from all angles.

Just like Lloydy.

I long for a year where a forward of ours has 'not recovered' and still kicks 62 goals in a season as he did in 2007 and 2008.

Lloyd was never the same player after his serious hamstring injury - Form and stats support my assertion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great interview, spoke with passion about his club.
As for Knights, well....... If you haven't got anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all.

His handling of club champions like JJ,Mark Johnson etc telling them that they will be playing in the VFL all year pissed me off was so happy when the club sacked Knights.

His handling of club champions like JJ,Mark Johnson etc telling them that they will be playing in the VFL all year pissed me off was so happy when the club sacked Knights.

Spot on, Didn't like it when he got appointed and the handling of those players shows he wasn't up to the job

notice in that Hawthon game one of the guys really standing up and throwing his weight around was Michael Hurley - only played a handful of games, in the cauldron ess v hawks, warfare, punchons... hes there throwing people around and getting in there, dont see many first year kids like that!.. then he kicks 4 goals to win the game

kid probably has a decent future

Lloyd was never the same player after his serious hamstring injury - Form and stats support my assertion.
Statistically, his 2007 and 2008 were very similar to his 2005 (so pre-injury), in fact ever so slightly better (more possessions and 62 x 2 against 59 goals in 2005).

He lost the explosive pace post-hamstring injury. But to borrow your phrase yaco, continue to re-write history and claim he was ineffective post-injury if you wish, but you'd be wrong.

No he never regained the form of 1999-2004, but then he hadn't a season like that in 2005 either. He was playing in an inferior team by 2005 and that has every bit as much to do with his figures going down as his injury. He could have played on 2010, he was still good enough- unlike Lucas, who unfortunately hit the end very quickly.

open mike is far and away my favorite football show, i hang off every word

We have had some good ones relating to our club

Sheedy
Salmon
Madden
VanDerHaar
now Lloyd to name a few.

maybe i could borrow this thread to post them all up?
Great idea Howard.

im pretty sure John Barnes did one too but i cant find it anywhere...

i reckon he is well over due on a few people, they must be holding out. Terry Daniher, Michael long, Mark Harvey - James hird would be a big one. Derek Kickett

Anyone else?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back