Matthew Lloyd: Time for Pendles to hand over reins

Is it time for Pendles to relinquish the captaincy?

• Yep

Votes: 49 74.2%
  • Nup

Votes: 17 25.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Why is a change of captain negative?
That's was my thoughts then.

But I'm not invested in the question anymore.

Let the captain be, but it's no longer a negative

Tony Shaw was lucky he was born when he was - wouldn't even get close to an AFL list these days.
So his mental acuity/IQ would prevent him from playing today?

After all your point was intelligence, not a player's physical limitations in the modern game.

That's was my thoughts then.

But I'm not invested in the question anymore.

Let the captain be, but it's no longer a negative
Fair enough, though tbh not really sure what you mean by not invested anymore: moved on to higher planes? Anyway I wonder if we associate change of leadership with negativity because it often occurs in that environment. We changes leaders because the current one isn't up to scratch. So for captains poor leadership, poor footy or too many injuries.
We could time our change based on other factors. For example, the failure point for Pendles is likely 2/3 years away. Hopefully by then we will be a real contender. Changing a year from now will give the new captain a chance to build skills before we hit our straps.
Anyway bottom line for me is I don't get the reluctance to change captain, it is not like you lose their leadership entirely from the club. Building leadership is, at least partially, about providing opportunity.

In this captaincy discussion.

As I would expect people will talk about players onfield stuff.

Off field? Long summer training?

Long winter training?

All the little things in bringing people together?

I'd suggest all of that PLUS onfield would enter the captaincy equation.

I'd leave Pendlebury. My understanding is he is totally respected. Best player, yes ofcourse.

But the future leadership seems to be rising.

Adams, Sidebottom are the obvious already designated ones.

Jeremy Howe, been fantastic in everything I've heard. Be a brilliant captain I reckon.
I'm really warming to him as being one of our best swipes from another club.
Just grown as a leader around the place.

Then we have Treloar, Grundy, Moore, its starting to look healthy in this area.

And around the place the older types that lead, Goldsack, Dunn (big voice), Greenwood (the way he trains is manic) Reid. Varcoe and Wells.

Leadership can be my example as well as the actual captain and captains group of three to five players.

You're pretty ambivalent about the importance of the coach, and in fact you seem sure that it's the quality of the players which matters in the scheme of things. But your post here suggests that leadership of the playing group matters in some way, and it might be wondered why such leadership among players would matter at all if the leadership over the players matters so little.

Not having a go at you, SV, just curious about your view of things.

You're pretty ambivalent about the importance of the coach, and in fact you seem sure that it's the quality of the players which matters in the scheme of things. But your post here suggests that leadership of the playing group matters in some way, and it might be wondered why such leadership among players would matter at all if the leadership over the players matters so little.

Not having a go at you, SV, just curious about your view of things.
The leadership amongst the group, the driving each other, the togetherness all has an effect.
As does the coach.
Everyone plays a role.

My biggest point about the coach is the overall context that the players are 80% of everything, better players better results.
The coaching group does the other 20% getting the show on the road, giving direction, setting standards etc.

But you can have all of the external stuff set and conducted brilliantly and if you're playing group is C grade, you'll do just ok.
You can have the external stuff so so or just passable but the playing group is filled with elite talent.
That group will have success, assuming they aren't drugged up and engaged to, play to their levels.

Hodge, Mitchell, Roughead, Franklin in our club as young ones today, we guaranteed to Scoot up the ladder.

But we don't have that, so the struggle continues

The leadership amongst the group, the driving each other, the togetherness all has an effect.
As does the coach.
Everyone plays a role.

My biggest point about the coach is the overall context that the players are 80% of everything, better players better results.
The coaching group does the other 20% getting the show on the road, giving direction, setting standards etc.

But you can have all of the external stuff set and conducted brilliantly and if you're playing group is C grade, you'll do just ok.
You can have the external stuff so so or just passable but the playing group is filled with elite talent.
That group will have success, assuming they aren't drugged up and engaged to, play to their levels.

Hodge, Mitchell, Roughead, Franklin in our club as young ones today, we guaranteed to Scoot up the ladder.

But we don't have that, so the struggle continues

I'd agree with the 80/20 split, very generally speaking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like Adams and perhaps a change would freshen up the place and take some pressure off Pendles as he enters the latter stages of his career.

Our midfield functioned pretty well without Pendlebury and I wonder whether it's time to release him forward more often to reduce the amount of work he has to do in the hope it prolongs his career.

Out of interest has Taylor improved his public speaking so he doesn't utter an um every 5 seconds?

If he hasn't don't start concentrating on it or it'll drive you nuts. Trust me.

Looked very average tonight. As did our entire midfield stoppage unit, to be frank. The stats will flatter us but we had a lot of hack kicks out of the centre to absolutely no-one.

Back