Matthew Lloyd vs Lance Franklin

Better player over their career?

• Lance Franklin

Votes: 76 76.8%
  • Matthew Lloyd

Votes: 23 23.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Lloyd is being undersold fairly heavily.
He booted two centuries and came very close on two other occasions (93 & 96). He was also the last of the truly great full forwards as he was peaking during a time of the game when it started to become very defensive orientated.

His strength when marking the ball is the reason why he was able to notch up such an impressive goal average. At 192cm tall, he was quite often matched against defenders taller than himself.
Many of the full forwards in today's game are taller than their direct opponents. Franklin 198cm, Kennedy 196cm, Cloke 196cm, Hawkins 198cm, Jenkins 198cm, Lynch 199cm.

It's a true testament to his marking abilities. Something the likes of Ablett Snr, Dunstall, Modra mastered to the nth degree.
This, this and this.
People used to give him crap about diving, but he'd actually propel himself at the ball, so that when he marked it with his hands out in front, it was nearly impossible to spoil. It adds a tonne of difficulty to the mark, but he did it so well.

Buddy is a better footballer with more x-factor.
Having Lloyd in the team felt like a 3 goal head start to the Dons every game as he was so consistent.

If Franklin had stayed closer to goal for longer he'd have smashed Lloyd's tally by now, although with that said he arguably would be viewed as a lesser overall player.

Franklin wasn't clunking the footy like he was in 2008 so he had to evolve his game and play further up field.

I believe wrist injuries dogged him from 09 onward but I could be mistaken.

Back