8. Sam Walsh
7. Touk Miller
6. Gawn
5. Petracca
4. Jack Steele
3. Wines
2. Bontempelli
1. Oliver

As a dees fan, I'm happy that Oliver gets the recognition he deserves as the best player in the game. A lot of neutrals put Petracca ahead of Oliver but that's simply because they don't watch the dees games as closely.

Other than that, I don't disagree with it too much.

But what I do disagree with is: Wines at 3 is too high. He probably isn't a top 10 player in my eyes. Jack Steele at 4 is also too high for my liking but I can live with it. Parish at 9 is far too high. He is one of the easiest players to tag in the afl and basically gets shut down as soon as an opposition coach decides to shut him down and for that reason he hasn't earned the right to be ahead of Merrett and Macrae who cop tags far more often and handle it consistently. I wouldn't have Parish in my top 20 at all as I'd prefer guys like Toby Greene and Charlie Cameron. Guys that have hurt factor. Even Rory Laird and Fritsch could've been considered.

Toby Greene needs to be in the side. He played 18 games. That's enough to get him in.

In reverse order:

20. Steven may
19. Naitanui
18. Stringer
17. Tom Stewart
16. Lever
15. Boak
14. Aliir Aliir
13. Hawkins
12. Harry Mckay
11. Zac Merrett
10. Macrae
9. Parish
8. Sam Walsh
7. Touk Miller
6. Gawn
5. Petracca
4. Jack Steele
3. Wines
2. Bontempelli
1. Oliver

As a dees fan, I'm happy that Oliver gets the recognition he deserves as the best player in the game. A lot of neutrals put Petracca ahead of Oliver but that's simply because they don't watch the dees games as closely.

But what I do disagree with is: Wines at 3 is too high. He probably isn't a top 10 player in my eyes. Jack Steele at 4 is also too high for my liking but I can live with it. Parish at 9 is far too high. He is one of the easiest players to tag in the afl and basically gets shut down as soon as an opposition coach decides to shut him down and for that reason he hasn't earned the right to be ahead of Merrett and Macrae who cop tags far more often and handle it consistently. I wouldn't have Parish in my top 20 at all as I'd prefer guys like Toby Greene and Charlie Cameron. Guys that have hurt factor. Even Rory Laird and Fritsch could've been considered.

Toby Greene needs to be in the side. He played 18 games. That's enough to get him in.
How is Tom Mitchell not here...

Aliir Aliir had a very good season, but ranking him above Callum Mills? :think:

Really?

In reverse order:

20. Steven may
19. Naitanui
18. Stringer
17. Tom Stewart
16. Lever
15. Boak
14. Aliir Aliir
13. Hawkins
12. Harry Mckay
11. Zac Merrett
10. Macrae
9. Parish
8. Sam Walsh
7. Touk Miller
6. Gawn
5. Petracca
4. Jack Steele
3. Wines
2. Bontempelli
1. Oliver

Looks about right at first glance. Gut feeling is that Petracca is the No1 in the AFL atm, but that could be recency bias.

It usually takes a couple of years for players to get 'noticed' to make these kinds of lists, so it's understandable they overlooked Andrew Brayshaw. They won't next year.

Mitchell was one of the best in the comp post bye, he was top 10 in the brownlow and is superior to Boak so there's 1 already!

Top 10 in the Brownlow is fine but it wouldn't surprise me if it is reasonably common for the 10th player in the Brownlow medal not to make the All Australian team as forwards, rucks, small forwards, small defenders, tall defenders typically don't poll as well in the Brownlow as midfielders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In reverse order:

Pretty sure most footy fans avid enough to post here watch other teams plenty closely and are able to form opinions on other sides, especially even more so when those sides are top of the table and prime time.

Ok I guess your opinion on Parish might support that some posters are just rubbish at watching other teams. Parish got tagged out of maybe 2, 3 matches this year and has so much more quarter by quarter, game by game impact than a Charlie Cameron type. Once Parish got going in the midfield after the first month he barely missed a beat. Besides, Laird is a Parish type, small accumulator mids, how is he any different :drunk:

Cameron has hurt factor but he kicked a lot of goals when the Lions were 5+ goals up this year, and I don't think influences games for long enough to rate up with one of the most consistent midfielders.

Looks about right at first glance. Gut feeling is that Petracca is the No1 in the AFL atm, but that could be recency bias.

It usually takes a couple of years for players to get 'noticed' to make these kinds of lists, so it's understandable they overlooked Andrew Brayshaw. They won't next year.

I'd be happy to chuck either Oliver or Petracca at 1.

Petracca had a great season, capped off with the Normie and would have been a worthy nomination.

Top 10 in the Brownlow is fine but it wouldn't surprise me if it is reasonably common for the 10th player in the Brownlow medal not to make the All Australian team as forwards, rucks, small forwards, small defenders, tall defenders typically don't poll as well in the Brownlow as midfielders.
He was a couple votes from top 5. He should've been top 5 as he was clearly 2/3 vote worthy in Round 1.

Mitchell was easily in the best 10 players this season - had a better second half to the year than any player in the competition and dragged the Hawks over the line by himself in a number of games.

Should be well ahead of May and Lever.
Facts.

Genuine question: would any neutrals here take Jake Lever over Tom Stewart?

I think Mitchell is a gun but I can see why he was left out of the team. Mitchell is a pure accumulator. Boak has more hurt factor on the outside.

'Accumulator' is such a nothing term. Always gets applied to a player who gets a stack of the ball as a subtle means of discrediting them. The same definition could be applied to Oliver.

Mitchell gets the Hawks going through constantly being involved in the play and setting his teammates into positions where they can impact. That is the value of having the ball 30+ times a game.

The fact is may and lever were the 1st and 2nd best key defenders in the league. And you're comparing Mitchell to them who is what the 10th best mid at best?

You now 1 and 2 is better than 10 right?
Mitchell in my opinion was the best player in the comp post bye, Steele was also very good and i'd say Wines was up there aswell. He was lean before hand but he is most def in the top 20.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back