Recommitted Matthew Lobbe

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond should enquire about him imo

People are nuts to think lobbe won't be sought after this off season

Teams dream about opportunities like this

A capable first 22 player has some one brought in his position , then has some injuries which affect his form and may be available on the trade table? Right when his value is at it's lowest? That's moneyball trading right there. The catch is the flip side is teams won't be offering the high pick like last year.

But there is an extensive history of rucks being traded for picks around the 20-35 mark. Long long history. Rucks who could play, rucks who couldn't play, rucks who might be able to play. All sorts. We know for a fact teams this year will be interested in rucks , and it is hardly inconceivable that lobbe could fetch a pick under 40.

I agree with the sentiment that rucks are worth something but I just don't think Lobbe suits any club. Clubs that would want to pay up decently for a ruck in his age and at his salary are few and far between, plus there is a general idea that clubs are leaning towards rucks who are less dominant in the hitouts and more towards mobile rucks.

I can't see even the clubs who 'need' rucks looking at him as someone they want to give up a pick you're willing to take (I doubt Port want him out at any cost, he's not Trav Cloke). I don't think a mere pick in the top 40 (which I agree clubs would give) would force Ports hand.

If a club is desperate for a ruckman they'd have a look.
Pick 25-40ish range. Ruckman seem to sometimes get more than what they appear at face value.
Only played 8 games this year. Doesn't get alot of the ball around the ground and doesn't hit the scoreboard much either.
Good for a backup.

Oh my, Lobbe turned down playing for the Dogs to stay at Port. Huge mistake.
This will haunt him for the rest of his life if the Dogs win the flag.

Oh please.
Go have a look at Giles form for GWS in the first couple of years. Better than anything Lobbe has done.
Secondly look at his game against Adelaide in a final, again, better than Lobbe has played this year.
The only difference between the two is that Lobbe is contracted on way bigger money that some team is going to have to carry for a reserves ruckman.
And your talking about his form this year is laughable. He couldnt get a run in a side that didnt have a ruckman. You prefered to use an undersized backman than play him. And you think someone is going to give you anything of value for him?
There is a reason your club doesnt want him.
Was injured for the majority of the season. More unsubstantiated dribble from the customers down the road...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh my, Lobbe turned down playing for the Dogs to stay at Port. Huge mistake.
This will haunt him for the rest of his life if the Dogs win the flag.
Am I right in saying the Dogs used the pick earmarked for Lobbe on Dunkley last year?
If so that has been a win/win for them

Am I right in saying the Dogs used the pick earmarked for Lobbe on Dunkley last year?
If so that has been a win/win for them

No I think it was pick 11 which they ended up swapping for pick 20 & 21 with Carlton.
So they ended up with Dunkley and Collins, Carlton ended up with Curnow.

Port would have had pick 11
Bulldogs Lobbe
Carlton would have had 20 & 21 still

After academy picks
11 ended up 12
20 & 21 ended up 25 & 26

Last edited:
There are 3 clubs who could benefit by having Lobbe Richmond, Gold Coast and less so Western Bulldogs.

He will go to Richmond for 2017 2nd Round pick which has every chance to be Pick 19.

On what logic are you basing your call that Giles was a better player? How many seasons has he lead a ruck unit? What was his season like at essendon before his move to west coast? Stupid call based on emotion rather than logic

I'm going to address everything you have wrong here

A) yes he is contracted. Why would that be a negative ? The years left is the perfect amount for any team trading him in. Anyone trading a ruck in is going to be offering them 3-4 years anyway.

B) good coin? On 400k. At the time we didn't like the length of the contract , the coin wasn't bad , but now 400 k wouldn't be s**t all for a ruckman. Starting listing rucks on less than 400k who have and can lead a teams ruck unit? Teams trading in witts this off season will likely be offering him 400-450k over 4 years.

Lobbes contract is a positive to any team trading him in, not a negative.

C) out of form he still averaged close to 30 HO a game in a season interrupted by injury. Rucks prime years are usually the years from 27-29 maybe 30 then you go downhill from there. He is just about the start of when most rucks prime years are. His contract runs out at the perfect time too just before he turns 31.
Then keep him if he's such a superstar.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back