Matthew Nicholls is the worst umpire in the AFL.

LeverPuller

BigFooty Tanker
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Newcastle United Seattle Seahawks
Thread starter Moderator #1
Seriously. He flat out gets the game wrong. Pays the very shifty ones, doesn't pay the obvious. Will pull out a technical free kick but when someone is dead to rights for marking infringement, throwing or HTB he'll put the whistle away. Just unreal how he still manages to actually get a gig.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
NEC Nijmegen, Sunderland
It's the obscure look-at-me type decisions that frustrate. Good umpires pay the first they see and by doing so avoid plucking them from their proverbial.

Testekill

Don't look at me like that
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Bulldogs, Williamstown
Nah, Chamberlain is the very worst. Obsessed with making himself look important when by definition an Umpire shouldn't be noticed if they're doing a good job

BG32

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Los Angeles Clippers
Agreed but overall it's just a blight on this great game that umpiring overall is bad. We need consistency and paying good tackles that would go a long way in getting some sort of standard back

blue harvest

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Nah, Chamberlain is the very worst. Obsessed with making himself look important when by definition an Umpire shouldn't be noticed if they're doing a good job
The main reason he is noticed is because he looks different and so the commentators and tv producers focus on him a lot, even giving him a nick name. At a game I don't really notice his umpiring being any different to the other umps, I mainly notice him because he is short.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HawkMongrel

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
MVFC, Aston Villa
The main reason he is noticed is because he looks different and so the commentators and tv producers focus on him a lot, even giving him a nick name. At a game I don't really notice his umpiring being any different to the other umps, I mainly notice him because he is short.
You must be blind.

Scroater

Club Legend
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Western Bulldogs
Seriously. He flat out gets the game wrong. Pays the very shifty ones, doesn't pay the obvious. Will pull out a technical free kick but when someone is dead to rights for marking infringement, throwing or HTB he'll put the whistle away. Just unreal how he still manages to actually get a gig.
You've described 90% of the umpires going around at the moment.

Most are too busy finding the technically correct decision that doesn't affect the game, and then completely miss the blatant decision that turns the game on its head.

The problem with Razor is that he has started to justify his decision in an arrogant manner that belittles the transgressor and then finishes it off with "thank you". Don't justify. Don't talk. Make your decision and get on with the game. You're not held accountable, so any decision is final. STFU and get on with the game so we can watch football and not you.

AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Adelaide, Footscray.
Who was old bald prick? Don't know if he's still umpiring or not but he will always be the worst in my book. Today's AFL umpires are pretty much the same. Worried about technicalities of the rules rather than the reasons the rules were invented in the first place.

Last edited:

blue harvest

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Who was old bald prick? Don't know if he's still umpiring or not but he will always be the worst in my book. Today's AFL umpires are pretty much the same. Worried about technicalities of the rules rather than the reasons the rules were invented in the first place.
McLaren, retired a while back. Fits with my theory that the umps that people think are the worst are the ones who physically stand out/look different.

AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Adelaide, Footscray.
McLaren, retired a while back. Fits with my theory that the umps that people think are the worst are the ones who physically stand out/look different.
well, you should come up with a better theory because that one is stupid. People only notice umpires when they continually make the wrong decisions.

Demonic Ascent

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
NY Jets, Boston Celtics, WADA
Meredith was horrible yesterday too. The umpiring in general is a farce at the moment, compounded by the changing rules. Go back and watch a round 1 game compared to yesterday's Melb/Port game and the difference in what is or isn't holding the ball. It's a complete joke. I don't even know what holding the ball is any more. They had it right about 10 years ago, why did they need to keep ******* with it?

Simon_Nesbit

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Whoever umpired the Hawks/Freo game today = negative 10,000 votes. (Margetts, Dalgleish and Ryan - so impressed I made the effort to look them up!)

I don't think there was a decision all day that had fans of either team tearing their hair out.

After two weeks of Razor's efforts on prime-time it made for quite a peaceful viewing experience.

LeverPuller

BigFooty Tanker
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Newcastle United Seattle Seahawks
Thread starter Moderator #24
Whoever umpired the Hawks/Freo game today = negative 10,000 votes. (Margetts, Dalgleish and Ryan - so impressed I made the effort to look them up!)

I don't think there was a decision all day that had fans of either team tearing their hair out.

After two weeks of Razor's efforts on prime-time it made for quite a peaceful viewing experience.
Margetts is pretty good generally IMO

Top Bottom