Matthew Nicholls is the worst umpire in the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Disagree on the Lewis one. Lewis was down low and almost stationary when he was run into front on. The rule was meant to be about players coming in and actively diving into another player's legs while the other player is trying to pick it up, not about players running hard at a near stationary player who is trying to pick it up and intentionally tripping over them to get a free.

I think they've been calling that wrongly lots this year and it's encouraging players to come in late and lead dangerously with the knees rather than properly contest.

i thought so initially- yet lewis drives his head down towards gunstons legs- didnt need to and although i think the rule sucks- it was OK. Had lewis simply held ground then play on.

If you didn't have blinkers on then it must have been a blindfold because in no way, shape or form were we kept in it by the umpires.
3rd q 7-1 frees
seriously- umpires are going to implode next week in perth- do they get eagles or dees across the line????

3rd q 7-1 frees
seriously- umpires are going to implode next week in perth- do they get eagles or dees across the line????

24-22 Hawks way on the night... so the rest of the game was 23-15 to the Hawks? If you want to go by purely numbers then we were getting smashed by the umps rest of the game...

Should watch the replay of the HTB free against Jetta in the first quarter than resulted directly in a Hawks goal - absolute shocker.

3rd q 7-1 frees

Oh so the free kick count is supposed to be even? I forgot about that.

Also how about the last quarter where the umpires kickstarted Hawthorn's comeback, you would have seen that given you didn't have blinkers on right?

Oh so the free kick count is supposed to be even? I forgot about that.

Also how about the last quarter where the umpires kickstarted Hawthorn's comeback, you would have seen that given you didn't have blinkers on right?

you can read can't you??

from my original post:
Last quarter was bizarre- Hawks got a few 'evener uppers'- although i reckon the Lewis slide definitely there- viney not so much.

Bad umpiring all round- you got an arm chair ride in the 3rd which helped keep you in it when hawks dominated general play.

Enjoy the win and let's see how you feel next week when the shoe is on the other foot

Yeah the Lewis one was definitely a free under the rule. Gunston stayed on his feet, went sideways to ride the contact and had his hands down for the ball. Exactly what they want. Lewis was already on the ground, tucked his head under and lunged forward. Certainly wasn't a slide but also just led with his head into the contest/legs. The earlier one was far more 50/50 but it is still something they've been paying consistently now for years. I don't like the rule being implemented like that, but that's what it is unfortunately. The commentators losing their s**t was more an example of poor and unprofessional commentary rather than poor umpiring. As I said that's the way the (s**t) rule has been adjudicated for a long time now. It sucks but it is what it is as they say. Carey and Co just lost it because the team they were clearly barracking for was starting to be challenged by the team that's had enough success. It had nothing to do with a poor umpiring call and everything to do with the Cinderella story they wanted to unfold.

Noticed again Nichols parked himself inside the Hawks f50m again for the last 5-7mins of the match.

the fact he keeps on doing this should say a lot the AFL that he's a crook of the highest order, couple that with some very questionable calls during the match and something feels very fishy about him.

Noticed again Nichols parked himself inside the Hawks f50m again for the last 5-7mins of the match.

the fact he keeps on doing this should say a lot the AFL that he's a crook of the highest order, couple that with some very questionable calls during the match and something feels very fishy about him.

This is what he did the day i watched him in action. The team he decides will win, gets him umpiring from their goal square.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nicholls, Schmidt and Meredith umpired the 2016 Prelim at Spotless
Chamberlain, Pannell, Mitchell umpired the 2014 game at Marvel where freo won but got only 4 frees for the whole game
Stewart, Meredith, McInerney umpired the 2013 game where the umps made the difference between North and Port in Tassie

I was expecting Stevic, Margetts and Fisher to feature more prominently in these classics.

andrew stephens is a pretty shite umpire if you ask me

every game ive seen him umpire he makes a lot of crazy decisions

A.-Stephens.png

Paid the 'dangerous tackle' free kick tonight, umpire 27 (Andre Gianfagna) originally called holding the ball but Nicholls had to overrule as non-controlling umpire. Loves a 'look at me' tiggy touchwood decision.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back