Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Nicks has been coach for 84 games now. In 3 games he goes past Cornes, in 5 past Pyke and by the end of the year he'll have overtaken Ayres. At which point he'll be the 2nd longest serving coach of the Adelaide Crows.

If Adelaide win less than 13 games this year he'll also still have the worst winning percentage of any Adelaide Coach (except for the 0-1 record of Scott Burns)

In his defence he also inherited one of our worst lists and some very very below average list management decisions.

But then I still wonder what he would’ve been able to do if the list was any better. He’s definitely not in the same league as the top tier coaches and shows no signs of being able to turn that around. This is absolutely a make or break year and the club must wait to re-sign.

s**t for brains.

Conservative selections.

How about going down the middle and instructing the players to play on from a mark????
That style of play saw us absolutely dominate Collingwood in the third at the G last year. And got us to almost pinch it last night.

He’s a dud.

He'll go down the same way as all our other coaches: Wedded to a handful of average players who he's in love with, who constantly let him down and will cost him his job

Zero dare or bravery. He wouldn't have gotten the job if his philosophies on football didn't align with the decision makers. No idea why anyone would expect anything different.

Last night felt like in two hours it encapsulated Nicks as a coach.
Not sure why everyone wants to dump on Nicks for the poor first half. The entire team looked s**t with error-prone skills, even Dawson looked out of touch! “Malaise” was probably the perfect description of the team in that first half.

Then with the come back in that last one and a half quarters, Nicks doesn’t get any credit? This isn’t me endorsing on Nicks’ credentials, but I felt the players were more at fault than the coach with regards to this match.

Zero dare or bravery. He wouldn't have gotten the job if his philosophies on football didn't align with the decision makers. No idea why anyone would expect anything different.
Who actually makes the decision of hiring the coach, as in who has a major say?

Not sure why everyone wants to dump on Nicks for the poor first half. The entire team looked s**t with error-prone skills, even Dawson looked out of touch! “Malaise” was probably the perfect description of the team in that first half.

Then with the come back in that last one and a half quarters, Nicks doesn’t get any credit? This isn’t me endorsing on Nicks’ credentials, but I felt the players were more at fault than the coach with regards to this match.
Because it’s up to the coach to do something about it. Dawson having a terrible night then move him or bench him just don’t keep him there.
The forward line was congested for the first three quarters, he should have done something about it. The whole structure was terrible. The last quarter when the game was virtually done it looked like he said to the team to go for it, which they did. They finally were allowed to play their natural game and almost pulled off a miraculous win.
Ultimately the head coach is responsible for the whole game day which includes the preperation.

Because you can’t keep trying to knock down a wall with a tack hammer

Because it’s up to the coach to do something about it. Dawson having a terrible night then move him or bench him just don’t keep him there.
The forward line was congested for the first three quarters, he should have done something about it. The whole structure was terrible. The last quarter when the game was virtually done it looked like he said to the team to go for it, which they did. They finally were allowed to play their natural game and almost pulled off a miraculous win.
Ultimately the head coach is responsible for the whole game day which includes the preperation.
Do you realise all the best coaches in AFL and with any other sports, their team can start very poorly in games?
Particularly when players make handling errors and give away silly free kicks, this has nothing to do with the coach! What point would switching players A to B and B to C when the whole squad was playing abysmally?!

So if the coach’s job is to then get the team to respond after a poor start, then Nicks has done a reasonable objective. Anyway, that’s just my perspective.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please… just get rid of him… ASAP.

And Roo too.

We wont make finals again this year picking guys like murphy and sholl.. and letting cooked old players like smith get game after game to play poorly just because they have 1 great game thrown in every now and then..

No other coach in our club’s history has ever survived missing finals two seasons in a row..

Do you realise all the best coaches in AFL and with any other sports, their team can start very poorly in games?
Particularly when players make handling errors and give away silly free kicks, this has nothing to do with the coach! What point would switching players A to B and B to C when the whole squad was playing abysmally?!

So if the coach’s job is to then get the team to respond after a poor start, then Nicks has done a reasonable objective. Anyway, that’s just my perspective.
Do you realise all good coaches in any sports don’t wait until the game is almost over to do something about it? That has everything to do with the coach!
The whole squad wasn’t playing dismally, their skills were fine. Only a few were bad. The game plan sucked and Nicks did nothing about it.
That’s my perspective.

Who actually makes the decision of hiring the coach, as in who has a major say?

I recall Roo being quoted as saying that, 'he knew we had the right man after hosting Nicks and talking all things footy at a BBQ at his house'. I'm not sure if we hired external consultants on this one, but you'd expect a sub-committee to be formed that would present to the full board. Roo as Football Director would definitely have been on it, not sure who else though.

I recall Roo being quoted as saying that, 'he knew we had the right man after hosting Nicks at a BBQ at his his house'. I'm not sure if we hired external consultants on this one, but you'd expect a sub-committee to be formed that would present to the full board. Roo as Football Director would definitely have been on it, not sure who else though.
I thought Roo would be the main mouth piece. He should have been told to go when we had the clean out. I don’t see us getting the coach we need while he sticks around. It would be interesting to know who else has a say in the decision.

Can we understand what all these 4 games have in common and have occurred in the last 11 minor round games?

Collingwood @ G last year
Melbourne @ G last year
Swans @ Adelaide last year
Gold Coast @ Gold Coast this year

In each and every case we have been down 30+ points at least halfway or more thru the game and yet we have comeback and nearly stole it. Is that because of the Burgess fitness effect? If we don’t have Burgess, would we get belted?

This has happened 4 out of the last 11 of our games! It is a trend.

When you see the same skull*ery going on at the club year after year and the complete predictability of the same outcome and utter helplessness of the supporter base to influence any sort of meaningful change ( excluding the happy clapper sheep) I can't help but liken it to either of the big two political parties in this nation. The majority of party members in them are there to take the piss for a large pay check with no real sense of responsibility or reality. The majority grossly out of touch, arrogant and unqualified for their positions. And the majority on the look out to cull anyone involved that is bucking the trend and wanting to make a difference for the common man.

We be ****ed.

Can we understand what all these 4 games have in common and have occurred in the last 11 minor round games?

Collingwood @ G last year
Melbourne @ G last year
Swans @ Adelaide last year
Gold Coast @ Gold Coast this year

In each and every case we have been down 30+ points at least halfway or more thru the game and yet we have comeback and nearly stole it. Is that because of the Burgess fitness effect? If we don’t have Burgess, would we get belted?

This has happened 4 out of the last 11 of our games! It is a trend.
We certainly seem to be hesitant until the game is all but lost

Then throw caution to the wind with nothing to lose and play better

A hallmark of a terrible team. Can't handle even low level expectations

It is very interesting because against the top 6 last year we were 6-4 (all won at home), against the next 6 we were 0-6 and the bottom 6 we were 5-2.

This.

It’s Nicks philosophy and actually is highlighted by the last time we lost to Gold Coast away 2 year ago.

He made a comment that when we realised we were in with a chance to win we attacked and the final margin blew out. So in a nutshell we were cautious up until then trying to minimise the loss, which is exactly what we did after being touched up by GWS and Carlton, that’s when Dawson was also thrown back. We were all about minimising the loss rather than winning.

We were told by some waynekers that it was teaching us defence. Some wiser folks mentioned you’re not teaching defence by throwing numbers around the contest and you are only protecting the defence.

Last year to his credit we attacked and were the number one scoring team, but guess what? We leaked in defence and missed the finals despite being the no 1 scoring team.

Who would have ever seen that coming?

We wouldn’t want to lose to Geelong and then need to beat Freo away to save our season

Good point, we win against the Cats and we move on but lose and it gets awkward.

We don't have the talent to get on a roll and win half a dozen games in a row so we can't afford to fall too far behind the top 8.

Back