Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide's rebuild?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You think the list is poor so sack the coach?.
Surely you only sack a coach if you think he is doing a poor job with the list he has been given. At the moment I don’t think anyone else is getting much more out of our squad. That changes as they get more experience and therefore the bar is lifted for Nicks - heat comes on him as of 2024

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Im tired of this bullshit idea that suggests only one thing can be bad at a time.

Im tired of this bullshit idea that suggests only one thing can be bad at a time.
I’m tired of this bullshit where people sling crap everywhere without any basis .how can you possibly know what’s atttributed to list , coach or the fact we actually have the youngest team in the afl . If we improve significantly in 2023 will you concede you got it wrong or will you simply slink into the shadows ?

I’m tired of this bullshit where people sling crap everywhere without any basis .how can you possibly know what’s atttributed to list , coach or the fact we actually have the youngest team in the afl . If we improve significantly in 2023 will you concede you got it wrong or will you simply slink into the shadows ?
Without any basis? I've seen 3 years worth of Nicks and 10 years worth of Hamish. That's more than enough.

Why wouldn't I concede if I got it wrong? I'd love it if I were wrong. That would mean we're winning.

Then we would have to disagree that there is strong evidence that Nicks is no good. For a team where our list is currently at we have had some fantastic wins over the last 2 years

The reality is are squad is inexperienced at an historic level - like expansion team level

And the only cure for that is time. In the mean time Nicks defense first attitude is a pretty good grounding for the squad while they mature

You think the list is poor so sack the coach?.
Surely you only sack a coach if you think he is doing a poor job with the list he has been given. At the moment I don’t think anyone else is getting much more out of our squad. That changes as they get more experience and therefore the bar is lifted for Nicks - heat comes on him as of 2024

You sack the coach if you don’t think he can get the group to contend for a flag. Nix is not that coach. He’s a loss minimiser, not a winner.

If you’re tired of footy discussion, there are other internet sites.

Without any basis? I've seen 3 years worth of Nicks and 10 years worth of Hamish. That's more than enough.

Why wouldn't I concede if I got it wrong? I'd love it if I were wrong. That would mean we're winning.
My biggest worry is you can see the effort level the players put in under nicks pretty much in 20/22 rounds - amazing

So well done nicksy for getting the effort BUT with that level of effort we should have won more games - that's the worrying bit - the skills, gameplan, and selection were all horrible all year. and adam kelly makes me cringe every time a word comes out of his mouth - might be a good bloke but there's certainly no intellectual support coming from there for nicks. vb really worries me as the midfield coach too

Of course they wont will find something else to bitch about its what happens here

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

So in Years 1,2, and 3 of a FULL REBUILD .....you expected to be winning at the same rate as the top teams ??

It's been clearly stated by a few commentators of late, in relation to HAW cutting its mature players ......young teams lose football games !!!

We are the youngest team in the AFL ....and yet have remained highly competitive, rarely getting blown off the park, and usually right in games until the 4th qtr ......in other good signs, we have come back (SYD) after being headed .....another great sign from a young team

Also stated that rebuild Coach's rarely survive due to unrealistic expectations of supporters during a rebuild ......IMHO Nicks will buck that trend .....the players play for him, and he's developed a Finals winning gamestyle

Our midfield improved and that made us a better team. Playing guys purely for experience points is rubbish and a road to nowhere.

90 plus percent of Players on an AFL list that actually play a game - experience is the most important thing. You get a handful of Daicos’s and Walsh’s - some complete duds, but the rest get better with experience and the magical 50-70 games. That is irrefutable when you examine any contending list

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My biggest worry is you can see the effort level the players put in under nicks pretty much in 20/22 rounds - amazing

So well done nicksy for getting the effort BUT with that level of effort we should have won more games - that's the worrying bit - the skills, gameplan, and selection were all horrible all year. and adam kelly makes me cringe every time a word comes out of his mouth - might be a good bloke but there's certainly no intellectual support coming from there for nicks. vb really worries me as the midfield coach too
Burgo and the current fitness people are good which papers over some of the cracks. It's so depressing we're pissing away one of the best fitness bosses in the industry on Nicks.

So in Years 1,2, and 3 of a FULL REBUILD .....you expected to be winning at the same rate as the top teams ??

It's been clearly stated by a few commentators of late, in relation to HAW cutting its mature players ......young teams lose football games !!!

We are the youngest team in the AFL ....and yet have remained highly competitive, rarely getting blown off the park, and usually right in games until the 4th qtr ......in other good signs, we have come back (SYD) after being headed .....another great sign from a young team

Also stated that rebuild Coach's rarely survive due to unrealistic expectations of supporters during a rebuild ......IMHO Nicks will buck that trend .....the players play for him, and he's developed a Finals winning gamestyle
Did he say the same winning rate as the top teams? You’ve got a bad habit of making stuff up to try and defeat a point that is not being made.

Sure we are going through a rebuild but at the same time Nicks is responsible for things like selection, team placement and game plan.

He is the coach that played Hately on the wing for months, replaced an injured McAdam with Crouch, then played Crouch on the wing, carried McHenry all year despite polling poorly in the BF and had played a yo-yo Russian roulette with playing key position defenders, remember when we were monstered against West Coast with Doedee playing second tall? How about keeping Worrell in the seconds for much longer than needed? Or dropping recalling dropping then recalling Murphy when he didn’t warrant it? Then playing a game plan that tried to limit the size of the loss but pushing everyone up than actually scoring?

There are enough question marks on Nick to query whether he can coach and is hiding behind a rebuilding team. One thing I’ll give him credit for is the team tries.

If you pick the wrong players you just endlessly rebuild

Eg games spent on Frampton instead of Worrell means that Worrell isn't as far down the path as he should be

If after this season we finally decide Murphy doesn't cut it as an AFL small forward? Start over in that position with a newbie

"Look how inexperienced we are. What do you expect?"

You can only start building when you have the right pieces to build something. We're still in the wait and see how they develop stage. I'm not sure we're clear on who to go forward with.

Gollant was preferred ahead of Fogarty for part of this season for instance, as was Himmelberg.

Plan? We don't need one.

Who played well last week? Who trained well this week? Select accordingly. That's the plan

Where is this coming from? Messaging from the club has been they are happy with the progress

There's been a couple of comments from Roo and I can remember Rowie hinting that the club had told Nicks that the Hawthorn game was unacceptable.

Given the comments that have been made by the supporters on AA etc the tide has definitely turned and Nicks is now under pressure.

Eg games spent on Frampton instead of Worrell means that Worrell isn't as far down the path as he should be

If after this season we finally decide Murphy doesn't cut it as an AFL small forward? Start over in that position with a newbie

You can only start building when you have the right pieces to build something. We're still in the wait and see how they develop stage. I'm not sure we're clear on who to go forward with.

Gollant was preferred ahead of Fogarty for part of this season for instance, as was Himmelberg.

Plan? We don't need one.

Who played well last week? Who trained well this week? Select accordingly. That's the plan

Unfortunately I think that's very much the case.

Last year I can remember Nicks being on 5AA and Bickley asked him about constantly chopping and changing the team and wanted to know going forward who Nicks sees as being in the best 22. Nicks said something along the lines that he didn't know and they're still trying to work that out which suggests that there's no long term plan at all and all their selections are just week to week decisions based on who's training well etc

Plan? We don't need one.

Agreed, we wasted games on Rowe. Basically been a regular for two years now gone.

I think Nicks will go either during this year or the end of year. To be honest I think all the negativity around Port and Hinkley in the media saved him alot of scrutiny towards the end of the season.

The other thing to watch is unless we start winning more often he will gradually lose the players and it will get real ugly real quick.

A lot of our wins have been due to effort which is a credit to Nicksy but really hard to maintain down the bottom of the ladder.

It's simple gameplan stuff Nicks has no structures to implement. I'll go back my massive bug bear and that's kick ins from points, we always do the exact same thing, never try anything different. We never setup to go coast to coast for an easy out the back goal from a kick in. Multiple teams do this to us multiple times.

List management, Recruitment and Coaching are all poor. One thing leads to another though. If you have poor list management and recruiting it doesn't attract a good coach. I think we need to fix all aspects at the same time if we can. Unfortunately Ogilvie and Reid are still in their jobs when all other clubs would have sacked them. It's time for Roo to move on as well as he's done nothing positive for the club post his football career. I was hoping Olsen would clean house but he's been a major disappointment.

There's been a couple of comments from Roo and I can remember Rowie hinting that the club had told Nicks that the Hawthorn game was unacceptable.

Given the comments that have been made by the supporters on AA etc the tide has definitely turned and Nicks is now under pressure.
The back patting he was referring to is just a necessary part of the club's PR. All clubs want to present themselves as being positive and united. I doubt it reflects what is being said internally.

Wow a lot of hot takes on this thread, and from our 'astute' moderators, no less!
Rowe getting 36 games over two years and then being delisted isn't a "take." It's what occurred. So we start over. Until we find enough keepers we'll spin our wheels. We've got some but enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back