Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide's rebuild?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many times??!!??

How many times does it have to be said??!??

Roo doesn’t have a role!!!!
Well , lots of people thinks he does.
He pretty much got Sanderson his marching orders. If it’s changed then fair but he tends to bob up in every scenario.

Is it about time we start discussing Nick's next contract extension. The club likes doing these things well in advance.:)
Are we still paying out Burton, Pyke and Campo's contracts?

The players all loving Nicks is another thing that should be filed under speculation.

No doubt, however you can't dismiss the reversal of culture.

Last two offseasons have resulted in nobody of note wanting out and poaching Dawson/Rankine. A fair bit different than 2017-2020.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We also declared publicly that the camp was fine and there were no lingering affects.

$$$ is an easy excuse for an exodus.

It's easy because it's one of the primary reasons and we know it's true. We couldn't afford to cut Gibbs, so he took up a list spot whilst being paid for his last year and playing at South. We lost players end of 2017 before the camp had even happened. Then Keath, CEY, Sauce and Greenwood to longer contracts, Betts to no seconds games, JJ toxicity, Dougie delisted and I can't think of anyone else. Mitch I forgot, but we know what was behind his move, he wanted out end of 2017 when he found out we had the $ for Gibbs.

When you're in contending mode you expect a tight salary cap, it's no criticism. Pies overdid it recently, but nobody would care if they'd put another trophy in the cabinet. Better to have had a crack. Ignoring $ as a primary driver to retention is naive to the maximum. Roos have been keeping almost all of their required players lately too. And that was with the worst coach ever. Lost JHF, but even that case was pretty special.

It's easy because it's one of the primary reasons and we know it's true. We couldn't afford to cut Gibbs, so he took up a list spot whilst being paid for his last year and playing at South. We lost players end of 2017 before the camp had even happened. Then Keath, CEY, Sauce and Greenwood to longer contracts, Betts to no seconds games, JJ toxicity, Dougie delisted and I can't think of anyone else. Mitch I forgot, but we know what was behind his move, he wanted out end of 2017 when he found out we had the $ for Gibbs.

So hang on. End of 2016 - we lose nobody of note. But we have enough Salary Cap flexibility to fit in Bryce Gibbs at the trade deadline (despite it not going through).

But at the end of 2017 we lose Lever and Cameron but have no salary cap flexibility, because of Gibbs?

Its an easy excuse. Meanwhile - Richmond win the flag in 2017, Make top 4 in 2018 and sign Tom Lynch to a multi year deal....

When you're in contending mode you expect a tight salary cap, it's no criticism. Pies overdid it recently, but nobody would care if they'd put another trophy in the cabinet. Better to have had a crack. Ignoring $ as a primary driver to retention is naive to the maximum. Roos have been keeping almost all of their required players lately too. And that was with the worst coach ever. Lost JHF, but even that case was pretty special.

The Collingwood screw up was completely different to ours. Theirs was a genuine Salary Cap mess up. Ya know how I know that?

Because Stephenson, Treloar, Phillips and Bosenavulagi all didn't want to leave! Stephenson and Treloar were both blindsided and devastated by their trades. All of our players from 2017 to the end of 2020 have been outspoken about the club and couldn't wait to leave - Lever, Cameron, McGovern, Keath, CEY, Sauce, Betts, Greenwood, JJ, Hartigan.

I mean Lever didn't attend the B&F and leaked images of him throwing out his crows gear - thats how much he hated the club. Eddie Betts wrote a book, which main chapter deals with why he left the bloody club. JJ came out agreeing with it. Days after Charlie Camerons end of season review he went on Channel 7 news - his exact words "I don't think I can play my best footy at Adelaide. I'm just not happy here. There's nothing you can do to make me stay or change my mind".

Now there are certainly instances where are a player leaves for extra $$$ or go home factor. Take Dawson for example. But also what's key is to look at how they leave their club, whether its isolated or part of a shitload of other players fleeing, and how they speak about their old club.

One thing the club excels at, is paying out contracts. Nobody does it better.
Collingwood prefer to pay players to play for other clubs instead...

Last edited:
Collingwood prefer to pay players to pay for other clubs instead...

And despite it all - still got within a kick of another Grand Final this year.

Collingwood - 2018 Lost GF, 2019 Prelim loss by less than a kick - Salary Cap Scandal - then 8th, 17th, 4th.
Adelaide - 2016 Semi Final, 2017 Lost GF - Salary Cap Scandal - 11th, 11th, 18th.

Scary thing is - our Grand Final Team 25yrs, 11 months, 108 games - Collingwoods 2019 PF team - 26yrs, 2 months/ 116 games. Collingwood 2018 GF team 25 yrs, 10 months / 110 games.

Maybe we could have rebounded if we truly lost players to "salary cap issues".

And despite it all - still got within a kick of another Grand Final this year.

Collingwood - 2018 Lost GF, 2019 Prelim loss by less than a kick - Salary Cap Scandal - then 8th, 17th, 4th.
Adelaide - 2016 Semi Final, 2017 Lost GF - Salary Cap Scandal - 11th, 11th, 18th.

Scary thing is - our Grand Final Team 25yrs, 11 months, 108 games - Collingwoods 2019 PF team - 26yrs, 2 months/ 116 games. Collingwood 2018 GF team 25 yrs, 10 months / 110 games.

Maybe we could have rebounded if we truly lost players to "salary cap issues".
Maybe paying players to play at other clubs isn't the absolute disaster some people make it out to be.

It happens ALL the time in MLB.

We don't want it to happen, but it's not shut the club down type of hysteria

Maybe paying players to play at other clubs isn't the absolute disaster some people make it out to be.

It happens ALL the time in MLB.

We don't want it to happen, but it's not shut the club down type of hysteria
But it’s better if it didn’t happen right? Isn’t it just another indicator you got your list management wrong?

How many players have Geelong, Melbourne and Richmond paid to play elsewhere?

Now that the draw is out, I think the first 11 games could either make or break Nicks.

GWS (A)
Rich (H)
Port (A)
Freo (H)
Carl (H)
Haw (A Tas)
Collingwood (H)
Geel (A)
St Kilda (H)
Bulldogs (A)
Brisbane (H)

It's a relatively tough start and we could be anywhere from 1-10 to about 6-5 going into Round 12.

I tend to think that if we're sitting close to 1-10 that Nicks won't be finishing the season.

Now that the draw is out, I think the first 11 games could either make or break Nicks.

GWS (A)
Rich (H)
Port (A)
Freo (H)
Carl (H)
Haw (A Tas)
Collingwood (H)
Geel (A)
St Kilda (H)
Bulldogs (A)
Brisbane (H)

It's a relatively tough start and we could be anywhere from 1-10 to about 6-5 going into Round 12.

I tend to think that if we're sitting close to 1-10 that Nicks won't be finishing the season.
The first 6-7 seems all gettable to me. Rounds 8-11 is the tougher part of the draw from the list above.

5 wins would roughly be on par for expectation, and anymore would be a significant sign of team progress.

So hang on. End of 2016 - we lose nobody of note. But we have enough Salary Cap flexibility to fit in Bryce Gibbs at the trade deadline (despite it not going through).

But at the end of 2017 we lose Lever and Cameron but have no salary cap flexibility, because of Gibbs?

Its an easy excuse. Meanwhile - Richmond win the flag in 2017, Make top 4 in 2018 and sign Tom Lynch to a multi year deal....

The Collingwood screw up was completely different to ours. Theirs was a genuine Salary Cap mess up. Ya know how I know that?

Because Stephenson, Treloar, Phillips and Bosenavulagi all didn't want to leave! Stephenson and Treloar were both blindsided and devastated by their trades. All of our players from 2017 to the end of 2020 have been outspoken about the club and couldn't wait to leave - Lever, Cameron, McGovern, Keath, CEY, Sauce, Betts, Greenwood, JJ, Hartigan.

I mean Lever didn't attend the B&F and leaked images of him throwing out his crows gear - thats how much he hated the club. Eddie Betts wrote a book, which main chapter deals with why he left the bloody club. JJ came out agreeing with it. Days after Charlie Camerons end of season review he went on Channel 7 news - his exact words "I don't think I can play my best footy at Adelaide. I'm just not happy here. There's nothing you can do to make me stay or change my mind".

Now there are certainly instances where are a player leaves for extra $$$ or go home factor. Take Dawson for example. But also what's key is to look at how they leave their club, whether its isolated or part of a shitload of other players fleeing, and how they speak about their old club.

You reckon the only cap changes related to Gibbs, lever and CC? It's well known that Tex backended his contract to keep the contending group together. And both CC and Lever were offered $ we couldn't match, of course we're tight for space. Roo has said it, it's on record Tex took a 'pay cut' aka backload. You seriously reckon we weren't maxxed out trying to keep the dream alive? What is it that you need to believe so strongly that you need to build your temple upon this quicksand? Don't tell me that it's $ aren't a driving factor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back