Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide's rebuild?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cmon. Calm down.

Soligo hasn't gone past Keays.

Soligo had a decent rookie season and hopefully builds on that. But the kid has played 16 AFL games. All I want from Soligo in 2023 is to avoid the 2nd year blues that Harry went through.

Also - subtle reminder that Keays was 5th in our B&F in 2020, 3rd in 2021/2022.
Keays isn't fit enough to tie soligos boots.

I understand, are you defending those decisions?

As for negativity, I could it realism instead of living in Janus World
No....what I'm trying to understand is what your expectations were for win / loss in 2022 ....to have you so negative towards Nicks

1. Did you expect to get in the Finals
2. Did you expect 10 wins +

Because, it can only be one of those 2 scenarios that has you upset about the season

I understand, are you defending those decisions?

As for negativity, I could it realism instead of living in Janus World
I'll answer this question, in the context of how you answer the above post of mine

Unless you were about more win / loss .....and / or playing finals .....the 2022 season was still about testing the list / testing position options ....that means throwing players around

George, it isn't as simple as you make it out to be ....., it's about team balance, not just positional, but age & experience ....it's about getting the timing right, when to drop a player, and when to elevate a player

BUT ....at the end of the day, that means the home stretch of the season .....were there any players in the AFL side, that shouldn't have been ......or any SANFL players that should have been in the AFL side ???

IMHO .....after the dust settled, the Club got things "mostly" right

The young player didn’t make an error. Not in the way your implying anyway. A senior player called for the ball instead of telling him to hold and kick long and line. The young player executed poorly, but the senior player made the actual game plan error.
Lol I’m pretty sure that was Murray, not exactly a senior player

Let the kid back it up in 2023 before even comparing him to anyone.

He has 1 career game with more than 21 possessions.

Lets not forget that Harry had a much better rookie season than Jake, I hope he backs it up, but its tough.
Soligo was better than Schoenberg in their respective rookie years. I think you're mistaking Harry's second year for his first year, before having a case of the third-year blues

But your point still stands, Soligo is extremely promising as it stands, but he'll need to keep building year upon year, in order to develop into that helpful midfield piece we all want. I'm confident he will

OR ...the 1st game of the year against FREO

18 points up with 10 min to play of the 4th Qtr ......Thilthorpe takes a fwd 50 mark, and misses an easy goal to ice the match

Few minutes later, Thilthorpe marks the ball on the HBF .....takes a simple 20 mtr 45 kick ....goes over the targets head & FREO waltz in for an easy goal

Now, Thilthorpe will be a good player for us .....but you can't put an experienced head on a 19 YO .....in future, he won't take that 45 kick, he'll kick down the line

But ....you can't blame Nicks for the decisions of kids, with the AFL's youngest team
Yep same sort of thing

Still have a way to go to even get to peak Sloane, peak Mrouch, Brouch, Greenwood and Douglas, and even then, that group didn't take us to a premiership, or even a clear minor premiership (finished equal on points with the Cats and only two points ahead of fourth). Agree that our backline is also a weakness, though

I like Schoenberg more than many on here - I think he can breakout in 2023
Soligo and Berry look very good and Laird is a quality mid. Add Rankine in patches and Rachele over next couple of years and I think it will stack up nicely. Ideally we would find our Petracca type but I think we only need one more mid - albeit a star to lead the group

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We are still no where near it. Our midfield is s**t. The ones that think laird is this elte midfielder are delusional. He originally moved there because he was struggling getting tagged in defence. Better than keays but just average.

Average? (Per game)

1st for disposals
5th in centre clearances
5th in overall clearances
8th for score involvements per game (4th among midfielders and two of those mids played forward quite a bit so you could argue 2nd among pure mids)
2nd for tackles
1st for effective possessions

Now I agree he is not a Dangerfield or Martin - top tier - but he is right at the top of the group behind those guys

But I know - stats don’t tell the full story, but your opinion does….

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like Schoenberg more than many on here - I think he can breakout in 2023
Soligo and Berry look very good and Laird is a quality mid. Add Rankine in patches and Rachele over next couple of years and I think it will stack up nicely. Ideally we would find our Petracca type but I think we only need one more mid - albeit a star to lead the group

By the time roughly 2026 rolls around, I'd love our midfield (assuming a 5-man rotation) to look like this:

unknown Pendlebury/Petracca/Bont/Fyfe type
Berry
Soligo
unknown 185cm+ mid/Schoenberg (I like Harry a lot at his best, but I wouldn't mind having two taller types to compliment Berry and Soligo, who are both on the shorter side)
With Rankine and/or Rachele rolling through

That allows all the guys we currently have to get 5-8 seasons under their belt and be well in their prime. Praying and hoping that the Bont type can fall into our lap in next year's draft

That group would be better than the 2017 midfield, which is necessary

Dawson learnt that you don't win a B&F mopping up in the back pocket but you might win one off a wing.

For me, the first big test for Nicks is no longer playing Dawson back. He was second in the Swans B&F playing wing but Nicks has him saving his (Nick's) arse in deep defence. Frustrated the poo out of me that our best and most attacking weapon was being used back there.

Saving Nicks arse or providing drive and good ball use out of the backline?

I assume saving Nicks means we are more competitive and get better results - obviously if we are performing worse with Dawson there then it’s not saving Nicks?

So for the side we had in 2022 we were optimising where we put Dawson for the best result

Wowza. I am gonna sink a fettuccine Alfredo, skip the water and try and run a 5k. We NEED a cure for rabies if opinions like this are a side effect.

I think Soligo, Berg, Berry and Laird with Rachele and Rankine coming in as well can emulate Sloane, Crouch x 2 and Douglas

ROB a concern for sure stacking up against Jacobs but otherwise I think the potential from the others is there. We do need a “number 1” type like Danger or Oliver - hopefully Hollands continues to improve and we can get him end of 2024 with a GF offer

You obviously don’t think the current crop can step up to a Crouch level ?

I'll answer this question, in the context of how you answer the above post of mine

Unless you were about more win / loss .....and / or playing finals .....the 2022 season was still about testing the list / testing position options ....that means throwing players around

George, it isn't as simple as you make it out to be ....., it's about team balance, not just positional, but age & experience ....it's about getting the timing right, when to drop a player, and when to elevate a player

BUT ....at the end of the day, that means the home stretch of the season .....were there any players in the AFL side, that shouldn't have been ......or any SANFL players that should have been in the AFL side ???

IMHO .....after the dust settled, the Club got things "mostly" right
All that falls flat when we end up playing Crouch on the wing, which was the result of replacing a forward with a slow mid at Marvel.

It’s not simple and yet some posters on here can pick up on stupid decisions before they’ve played out, just like the Crouch selection above.

I know for a fact the club thought Doedee and Worrell couldn’t play in the same team and they continued to play an injured Doedee over Worrell, as soon as Worrell played he killed it and guess what, Worrell and Doedee played together.

You might like to morph s**t decisions into some master plan but that’s on you, not some deep level of football intelligence.

No....what I'm trying to understand is what your expectations were for win / loss in 2022 ....to have you so negative towards Nicks

Because, it can only be one of those 2 scenarios that has you upset about the season
No offence Wayne but that’s an idiotic simplistic argument you are trying to frame and it’s no surprise Mutineer liked it.

I’ve never said it’s about win/loss, I haven’t been upset by the level of wins, I’ve been upset by some pretty crappy selections and a defensive boring game plan designed to reduce the size of our losses by making moves that have ultimately taught our team nothing. I would have thought that was obvious given how often I’ve had to repeat myself! Perhaps find one of my posts complaining about the number of our wins before you ask silly questions.

No offence Wayne but that’s an idiotic simplistic argument you are trying to frame and it’s no surprise Mutineer liked it.

I’ve never said it’s about win/loss, I haven’t been upset by the level of wins, I’ve been upset by some pretty crappy selections and a defensive boring game plan designed to reduce the size of our losses by making moves that have ultimately taught our team nothing. I would have thought that was obvious given how often I’ve had to repeat myself! Perhaps find one of my posts complaining about the number of our wins before you ask silly questions.
No it isn't ....I just want you to tell me what your 2021 PS expectations were ....win / loss

Mine were posted a few times in the 2021 PS .....it's not that hard a question

No it isn't ....I just want you to tell me what your 2021 PS expectations were ....win / loss

Mine were posted a few times in the 2021 PS .....it's not that hard a question
I actually didn’t have a number and it is pointless, because you’re trying to frame my disappointment in the number of wins as why I’ve been critical of Nicks when I’ve given the reasons a number of times. I’ve not been critical of our win-loss record.

I agree none of the examples you’ve stated can be defended (also Dawson in defence), but that doesn’t necessarily invalidate the reasons behind the RT dropping

I wasn’t a fan of it at the time, but looking back it does make a bit more sense, seemed to play a lot smarter and more aggressive than he had previously once he was back in the side. Those couple of errors in the Freo game likely won’t be seen again
I’d love to know if he was dropped for the kick option or more for not going at the footy enough that game

we're rebuilding, wins are not the metric.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back