Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide's rebuild?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taylor's shown enormous tricks & footy IQ .....however it's been in very short stints at SANFL level ....enough to get you excited, perhaps overshadowing the lack of consistency

If we accept his fitness levels are below standard ....then he has huge upside
Yep that's fine I can't dispute any of that as my viewing of him is limited. No issues with him being not ready yet, hopefully he takes some big leaps in the offseason.

Doesn't deserve to be sacked yet imo. I wanna see him coach a real midfield which will take a couple more years.

they're the ones that have chosen to return to the old guard for immediate results though. How will it be any better in a couple of years? Not that he deserves to be sacked, but he doesn't deserve an extension becsuse he's still tracking to build nothing more than a bottom of the 8 group.

Doesn't deserve to be sacked yet imo. I wanna see him coach a real midfield which will take a couple more years.

You couldn't sack him yet and it's a fair point but this is year 4. How long do you give someone? The worst situation to be in is you get to say year 7 and he isn't up to it. It's a big chunk of time.

I think what he is suffering from is wasting a few of his early years.

Going to interesting if we miss the finals this year and we have a few injuries next year and we dip if Tex drops off.

I wasn't expecting finals this year, so even 10th with 12 wins shows that progress has been made. However, it'd be short-sighted to extend him as finals next season is an absolute non-negotiable. If we go backwards or stagnate at this time next year, then it's going to be very tricky to justify an extension.

Still in a rebuild supposedly but had only 1 player make their debut this year

Players like Murphy, Sholl and Hinge continuously picked because of the odd good game.

This is worse than the old Pyke days, because at least then we were winning so you could excuse not trying new players in the team.

Still in a rebuild supposedly but had only 1 player make their debut this year

Players like Murphy, Sholl and Hinge continuously picked because of the odd good game.

This is worse than the old Pyke days, because at least then we were winning so you could excuse not trying new players in the team.
It's obvious he picked 25 players at tte beginning of the year and he wasn't going to deviate from that group. He continually backs in players like Sholl, McHenry, Murphy that aren't going to make it. The dropping of Worrell this week was moronic so he could rush back two average players in Hinge and Smith. Did Nick's not watch the game last week? Worrell was one of our best defenders. He was also better than Doedee but he backs in Doedee and two players in Smith and Hinge who can't defend and omits Worrell after one game. I would have loved to have heard that conversation. "You were great last week and helped us win the game but you must go back to the sanfl and work on some stuff" lol. Nicks is a real slow learner.

Last edited:
Nicks into his fourth season and he still has Laird, Sloane and Keays as his main midfielders.

Still giving games to Ned and Murph.

Still screwing up selections, dropping Worrel, please. Guys cramp and play the next week every bloody round.

The cramp was just an excuse so Nicks didn't have to make a hard decision on who else to drop.

We should be aggressively going after Hardwick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nicks into his fourth season and he still has Laird, Sloane and Keays as his main midfielders.

Still giving games to Ned and Murph.

Still screwing up selections, dropping Worrel, please. Guys cramp and play the next week every bloody round.

The cramp was just an excuse so Nicks didn't have to make a hard decision on who else to drop.

We should be aggressively going after Hardwick.
Our first pick in the draft this year and next has to be a midfielder. No excuses.

I honestly hope your disagreement is correct and this is not the AFCs mindset Mutineer I really really do.

This is one I genuinely want to be wrong about.

The only half back flanker we've drafted in recent times is Max Michalanney who is 191cm and capable of playing on smalls and talls. Should we have passed on Maxxy?

We shouldn't have drafted Riley Thilthorpe?

Worrell was drafted a a KPP Utility.

You have to go back to Lachlan Sholl (pick 64) and Will Hamill (pick 30) who both played HBF/Wing when we drafted them..(2018).

The latest flavour of the month mid on this board Will Day was drafted as HBF defender.

The only one we've got wrong has been McAsey who was obviously drafted as the Talia replacement but for varying reasons that didn't work our but enabled us to draft Luke Pedlar the next year who looks every bit a bloody good midfielder and now he's getting fitter it's starting to show.

The only half back flanker we've drafted in recent times is Max Michalanney who is 191cm and capable of playing on smalls and talls. Should we have passed on Maxxy?

You have to go back to Lachlan Sholl (pick 64) and Will Hamill (pick 30) who both played HBF/Wing when we drafted them..(2018).

The latest flavour of the month mid on this board Will Day was drafted as HBF defender.

The only one we've got wrong has been McAsey who was obviously drafted as the Talia replacement but for varying reasons that didn't work our but enabled us to draft Luke Pedlar the next year who looks every bit a bloody good midfielder and now he's getting fitter it's starting to show.
I was more talking about the midfield being set in the minds of the AFC.

The rest of the post was more a running joke.

I honestly hope your disagreement is correct and this is not the AFCs mindset Mutineer I really really do.

This is one I genuinely want to be wrong about.
The AFC's mindset these days is to use all our draft collateral on small forwards.

The AFC's mindset these days is to use all our draft collateral on small forwards.

Rankine, small forward but he’s a unique case.
Max?
Rachele is playing plenty of midfield time and every chance that’s where he ends up.
Soligo?
Dawson?
TT?
Pedlar?
Berry?
Cook?

That’s what we’ve spent our first and second round picks on the last few years, two go to small forwards and you’d be a harsh critic to suggest they weren’t the right moves.

they're the ones that have chosen to return to the old guard for immediate results though. How will it be any better in a couple of years? Not that he deserves to be sacked, but he doesn't deserve an extension becsuse he's still tracking to build nothing more than a bottom of the 8 group.

You can se they are developing Rachele Soligo and Pedlar so I think their is evidence they are weening themself off. But I agree they don’t show faith in many others - Jones or Rankine would be worth a go if we are facing a run of goals.
But I think I would be saving Pedlars efforts for when we have two quick goals kicked against - he goes straight in to the CBA. Clearly will be our best clearance player inside the next two years

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Drafting McAsey didn’t allow us to draft Pedlar, that’s a bogus lie you peddle to muddy the disastrous waste of pick 6.

Rankine, small forward but he’s a unique case.
Max?
Rachele is playing plenty of midfield time and every chance that’s where he ends up.
Soligo?
Dawson?
TT?
Pedlar?
Berry?
Cook?

That’s what we’ve spent our first and second round picks on the last few years, two go to small forwards and you’d be a harsh critic to suggest they weren’t the right moves.
McHenry? Gallucci?

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mutineer what actually are you disagreeing with? You know drafting Pedlar meant we didn’t have to draft McAsey.
If we don't draft McAsey we don't get Pedlar it's as simple as that. He'd have gone to GWS instead of Tanner Bruhn. We had no picks in Pedlar's range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back