Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide's rebuild?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
King just follows the breeze. This time last year he's saying

View attachment 1699566
Remember Mathew Lloyd questioning the direction of the club, coach and the playing group last year as well. He made comments along the lines of 'I just can't see where's the development/improvement is coming from' and 'they don't seem to have any talented young players coming through'

I don't mind Lloyd generally.

Lol wow. Someone with Twitter let him know

“This has happened quicker than what people thought,” King told Fox Footy’s First Crack on Sunday night.

'People', he should have just said it's come quicker than he thought and owned up to it.

King has this thing where he keeps saying rebuild coaches DO NOT survive.
There's plenty of examples he points to.

Nicks currently is on track to survive the rebuild phase, this is a big reason why he's impressed.

Remember Mathew Lloyd questioning the direction of the club, coach and the playing group last year as well. He made comments along the lines of 'I just can't see where's the development/improvement is coming from' and 'they don't seem to have any talented young players coming through'

I don't mind Lloyd generally.

Plenty on this very board we’re saying the same thing so probably forgive the VIC commentators who would see a fair bit less of our squad

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Plenty on this very board we’re saying the same thing so probably forgive the VIC commentators who would see a fair bit less of our squad

It'd be nice to get some decent analysis from some part of the media though. There probably are a few doing reasonable analysis out there, they just don't seem to have the platform or the reach.

They dribble that garbage to their audience and suddenly everybody thinks it true.

Thats the indictment of Nicks. If he didn't have two years to run on his contract, he may have been sacked. At that time. Lloyd just said what was clearly the obvious. Its also what Nicks, the club and the squad deserved.

That was then though. I think a lot of the media this year is holding their opinions but the tide is turning as even Derwain and Healy began to suggest in the telecast we could prove to have the most electric forward line within the coming years. The problem we also have is Walker. The fact he is still our main guy probably has a lot of people sitting back because we haven't been able to prove we can move past him yet.

Thats the indictment of Nicks. If he didn't have two years to run on his contract, he may have been sacked. At that time. Lloyd just said what was clearly the obvious. Its also what Nicks, the club and the squad deserved.

That was then though. I think a lot of the media this year is holding their opinions but the tide is turning as even Derwain and Healy began to suggest in the telecast we could prove to have the most electric forward line within the coming years. The problem we also have is Walker. The fact he is still our main guy probably has a lot of people sitting back because we haven't been able to prove we can move past him yet.

To be fair to Nicks, the fact that the conversation has turned to us only being 1 or 2 players away from having a genuine contending team, says something.

Personally, I think we need more than that. A small injury list skews people's views on what we need.

Nicksy signing contract soon?

speaking episode 17 GIF

It'd be nice to get some decent analysis from some part of the media though. There probably are a few doing reasonable analysis out there, they just don't seem to have the platform or the reach.

They dribble that garbage to their audience and suddenly everybody thinks it true.
Rendell has been saying for a while that we’ve been building well, although he makes some pretty odd calls nowadays.
Personally, I think we need more than that. A small injury list skews people's views on what we need.

Is the fact that we’ve had a pretty small injury list for the better part of three years not indicative of a footy department that has got its act together?

As examples, Laird came back from his broken thumb/hand early last year and barely missed a beat. Walker looked like a broken down old man 3 years ago and is now playing possibly his best ever footy. Sloane has come back miles better than almost all of us expected. Pedlar at this stage has been able to get his body right and perform at a high level, even though there were big concerns over this as a junior.

Is the fact that we’ve had a pretty small injury list for the better part of three years not indicative of a footy department that has got its act together?

As examples, Laird came back from his broken thumb/hand early last year and barely missed a beat. Walker looked like a broken down old man 3 years ago and is now playing possibly his best ever footy. Sloane has come back miles better than almost all of us expected. Pedlar at this stage has been able to get his body right and perform at a high level, even though there were big concerns over this as a junior.

No doubt the fitness department was an issue that needed to be addressed and has been.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair to Nicks, the fact that the conversation has turned to us only being 1 or 2 players away from having a genuine contending team, says something.

I agree. How good would we look if we had an average or bad injury list? Say if we had Dawson, Tex and Rankine all out? We have Burgess, but he doesn't guarantee a totally healthy list going forward.

“This has happened quicker than what people thought,” King told Fox Footy’s First Crack on Sunday night.

'People', he should have just said it's come quicker than he thought and owned up to it.

King has this thing where he keeps saying rebuild coaches DO NOT survive.
There's plenty of examples he points to.

Nicks currently is on track to survive the rebuild phase, this is a big reason why he's impressed.
And this wasn't just a rebuild, it was a massive rebuild after what happened with CM and on top of that this also occurred during a pandemic. Nicks logically started to with defensive game plan but you can start to see a more offensive game plan in the last year and a half.

I agree. How good would we look if we had an average or bad injury list? Say if we had Dawson, Tex and Rankine all out? We have Burgess, but he doesn't guarantee a totally healthy list going forward.
I think most clubs would struggle with their best midfielder and best forward out

We need to add another Dawson quality mid before we can get too excited. I don't think a good half back gets us close to a flag without a high quality midfield
Need both but the elite mid is more of a priority. We also need a better tap ruck and I wouldn't mind another key / 3rd tall forward as depth for when tex retires eventually.

Need both but the elite mid is more of a priority. We also need a better tap ruck and I wouldn't mind another key / 3rd tall forward as depth for when tex retires eventually.
Definitely would be nice to add another mid but I don't know whose really available this year? Fortunately we should hopefully continue to see growth from Rachele, Soligo & Pedlar in this area. Another preseason & those guys should be able to handle a lot more time in there. Do wonder if Jones isn't worth another look in there too at some point. Perhaps we could cover this issue slightly by having a sheer weight of numbers who can go through there?

Definitely would be nice to add another mid but I don't know whose really available this year? Fortunately we should hopefully continue to see growth from Rachele, Soligo & Pedlar in this area. Another preseason & those guys should be able to handle a lot more time in there. Do wonder if Jones isn't worth another look in there too at some point. Perhaps we could cover this issue slightly by having a sheer weight of numbers who can go through there?
We should target teams that have good midfield depth and look for a player like Jack Steele that isn't getting opportunity. Getting a gun mid out of a club is hard unless they wanna come home.

Don't forget Zac Taylor next year ......and hopefully Schoenberg can take a big step forward

We should target teams that have good midfield depth and look for a player like Jack Steele that isn't getting opportunity. Getting a gun mid out of a club is hard unless they wanna come home.
Would you consider a Wil Brodie ? .....2nd year, after ripping it up in 2021, he can't get a gig this year

Don't forget Zac Taylor next year ......and hopefully Schoenberg can take a big step forward
Yeah I haven't personally seen enough of Zac to suggest he can do that, gets good wraps here but whenever I've watched he's been just ok though it's probably just the matches I've watched. Schoenberg we've seen has potential but just too fumbly & doesn't always get his hands on it enough. I hope he turns it around because at his best he certainly could be a very decent midfielder. At the moment he's trapped in that too good for SANFL but not good enough for AFL space.

Would you consider a Wil Brodie ? .....2nd year, after ripping it up in 2021, he can't get a gig this year
Don't know much about him other than he was playing well when he came across from gc go freo. I think they ideally need to have the qualities we lack such as bigger bodied, good on the inside and outside and a good disposer like Dawson.

Yeah I haven't personally seen enough of Zac to suggest he can do that, gets good wraps here but whenever I've watched he's been just ok though it's probably just the matches I've watched. Schoenberg we've seen has potential but just too fumbly & doesn't always get his hands on it enough. I hope he turns it around because at his best he certainly could be a very decent midfielder. At the moment he's trapped in that too good for SANFL but not good enough for AFL space.
Taylor's shown enormous tricks & footy IQ .....however it's been in very short stints at SANFL level ....enough to get you excited, perhaps overshadowing the lack of consistency

If we accept his fitness levels are below standard ....then he has huge upside

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back