Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide's rebuild?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you need to rewatch the game 😊

You sound like a broken record.
I honestly don't know what you guys are watching? Some say they see good ball movement but think these are somehow "random" when they been occurring in most games we played this season, that's why we won 3 games and been competitive in the others except the Collingwood game.

I don't really see it with Berry.

Looks a good honest trier, with limited upside. Doesn't find enough of the ball and doesn't have much hurt factor. Would make an alright tagger though.

In a year or two, Berry will be regularly hitting 24-30 disposals, seeing the numbers he's hitting now are completely normal for a 2nd year midfielder at an AFL level, and he's shown he's able to accumulate in the SANFL. Really, he's the upgrade to Keays in time as that defensively powerful midfielder (especially as, like Keays, there is some explosiveness to his game) and should blossom into a player around the Jack Steele - Rory Sloane mark.

In a year or two, Berry will be regularly hitting 24-30 disposals, seeing the numbers he's hitting now are completely normal for a 2nd year midfielder at an AFL level, and he's shown he's able to accumulate in the SANFL. Really, he's the upgrade to Keays in time as that defensively powerful midfielder (especially as, like Keays, there is some explosiveness to his game) and should blossom into a player around the Jack Steele - Rory Sloane mark.
Agree. He will be a beast in time. Surround him with a a half decent midfield and some more runners and he will get even better.

I honestly don't know what you guys are watching? Some say they see good ball movement but think these are somehow "random" when they been occurring in most games we played this season, that's why we won 3 games and been competitive in the others except the Collingwood game.

Our good ball movement at AFL level has been completely random when it occurs. Even in the games that we've done well in, the vast majority of times has been through sheer effort and will, not a well refined team. I would wager that the vast majority of our skill errors just come from the fact we haven't got a reliable way to move the ball, that we want to play fast but have no idea how to play fast.

I am leaning towards the thought that our ball movement issues are primarily a result of us being in the depths of a rebuild. After all it's hard to get past that we have a squad that's wouldn't look out of place for an expansion side.

Plus, it does work in the SANFL despite having a pretty young side there as well.

Agree. He will be a beast in time. Surround him with a a half decent midfield and some more runners and he will get even better.

Effectively yes. He's a 3-5 mid in a rotation. The type to keep things ticking and to allow the stars to be stars.

The game is finding those stars. I'm confident in Rachele and Cook being those types in time.

Our good ball movement at AFL level has been completely random when it occurs. Even in the games that we've done well in, the vast majority of times has been through sheer effort and will, not a well refined team. I would wager that the vast majority of our skill errors just come from the fact we haven't got a reliable way to move the ball, that we want to play fast but have no idea how to play fast.

I am leaning towards the thought that our ball movement issues are primarily a result of us being in the depths of a rebuild. After all it's hard to get past that we have a squad that's wouldn't look out of place for an expansion side.

Plus, it does work in the SANFL despite having a pretty young side there as well.

Effectively yes. He's a 3-5 mid in a rotation. The type to keep things ticking and to allow the stars to be stars.

The game is finding those stars. I'm confident in Rachele and Cook being those types in time.
You do know what the definition of "random" means don't you???

On many occasions after a free or mark in defence, we appeared to have runners from behind but didn’t use them, just go back and kick, would like to see more of that “slick” movement

The slick movement would be good.

Could Nicks find himself potentially pushed out of the job at the end of the year?

Right now, I don't see him doing anything better than Teague or Bolton. His selection policies have been questionable. We have clearly gone into matches undersized when we have had options to select taller players. We have at times played some very average football. We have senior players out of form and in the Sanfl. We only have a handful of injuries yet we don't have the players knocking down the door for selection. He seems to be outcoached most weeks. If you use Longmuir and Fremantle as the comparison, we are so far behind. We don't seem to have a consistent game plan, We are using one of our best connection players behind the ball.

I just dont see the improvement. It wouldn't surprise me, if by the end of the year, some players want to be traded out, and it wont be who we want.

Could Nicks find himself potentially pushed out of the job at the end of the year?

Right now, I don't see him doing anything better than Teague or Bolton. His selection policies have been questionable. We have clearly gone into matches undersized when we have had options to select taller players. We have at times played some very average football. We have senior players out of form and in the Sanfl. We only have a handful of injuries yet we don't have the players knocking down the door for selection. He seems to be outcoached most weeks. If you use Longmuir and Fremantle as the comparison, we are so far behind. We don't seem to have a consistent game plan, We are using one of our best connection players behind the ball.

I just dont see the improvement. It wouldn't surprise me, if by the end of the year, some players want to be traded out, and it wont be who we want.
Fremantle are a few years ahead of us in their rebuild and Sydney's list is more experience than us so both are not comparable. There has definitely been improvement in the game plan compared to last year and game day coaching changes Nicks has done but if he doesn't build on that in the next 2 years then he will start to feel the pressure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Crows football movement is non exisistent... most plays are kick it long to a contest and try to win the contest and then kick it to another contest... we don't have the players to run the ball down the field. We constantly slip especially when trying to defend through the middle. It's very ugly frustrating football...

And then... bomb long to our forwards who cannot mark it....

The Crows football movement is non exisistent... most plays are kick it long to a contest and try to win the contest and then kick it to another contest... we don't have the players to run the ball down the field. We constantly slip especially when trying to defend through the middle. It's very ugly frustrating football...

And then... bomb long to our forwards who cannot mark it....
No, the ball movement is there and get us into the position for a forward entry and then we usually bomb it long to our forward or kick not to their advantage but on some occasion there is an excellent kick (even Laird did this a few time against Brisbane).

First quarter early, beautiful pass into Tex's guts--Soligo or Rowe? Haven't looked at the replay. Tex kicks a point. Every other entry for the first quarter--rest of game--was long and high. Easy meat for the defenders. Why the * are we unable to work into our forward line with any system? No leads, no nothing from our witches hats forwards. You have to be at the game and have an overview to understand how ******* diabolical this is. Any coach who couldn't nullify our forward line would be a useless coach indeed.
Forward line or delivery?
Both.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

First quarter early, beautiful pass into Tex's guts--Soligo or Rowe? Haven't looked at the replay. Tex kicks a point. Every other entry for the first quarter--rest of game--was long and high. Easy meat for the defenders. Why the duck are we unable to work into our forward line with any system? No leads, no nothing from our witches hats forwards. You have to be at the game and have an overview to understand how ******* diabolical this is. Any coach who couldn't nullify our forward line would be a useless coach indeed.
Forward line or delivery?
Both.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

it's deliberate coach strategy unfortunately.

He almost certainly would have been, if Adelaide hadn't pre-emptively extended his contract. But there's really no evidence that the club is even unhappy with him.

Short of some sort of major controversy that requires mass resignations at the board level, I can't see anything changing.

He almost certainly would have been, if Adelaide hadn't pre-emptively extended his contract. But there's really no evidence that the club is even unhappy with him.

Short of some sort of major controversy that requires mass resignations at the board level, I can't see anything changing.

At this point, no chance. After all, this is par.

Should he lose most of the games we have coming up to North/WCE and we end on a 4-5 win season. He'll be out of a job regardless of that contract.

Not this year but if we're going this badly at the same point next year, I could see him being removed and Burns taking over as caretaker for the last half of the season.

Yep, he would want to be further advanced this time next year or he will be gone. I expect the genuine pressure to keep his job to start during the pre season.

I don't really see it with Berry.

Looks a good honest trier, with limited upside. Doesn't find enough of the ball and doesn't have much hurt factor. Would make an alright tagger though.
16 touches a game for a 2nd year mid feels perfectly normal to me?

Assuming it keeps growing (no reason to assume otherwise at this stage(, we’ll have a high level player on our hands in a couple of years. Compares well with 2nd year Sloane right now

16 touches a game for a 2nd year mid feels perfectly normal to me?

Assuming it keeps growing (no reason to assume otherwise at this stage(, we’ll have a high level player on our hands in a couple of years. Compares well with 2nd year Sloane right now

He’s nowhere near as clean as Sloane was. Not even close. Doesn’t seem to be get in the right places for me to receive and accelerate from the contest

I see the same people talk about an acceleration that just isn’t in evidence

Now, let’s be fair. There’s a player here, the question is what sort of level

For me, he fumbles too much and the game can appear a bit quick for him when he’s trying to be more offensive in winning his own ball. But he’s an energiser bunny defensively and doesn’t mind getting physical.

It’s easy to see him in the back end of the rotation with a little more polish. But whether that’s enough to hold off newcomers each year trying to take that away from him.

At the moment he’s still all effort, elbows and thumbs. Not on his own there though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back