Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide's rebuild?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could Nicks find himself potentially pushed out of the job at the end of the year?

Right now, I don't see him doing anything better than Teague or Bolton. His selection policies have been questionable. We have clearly gone into matches undersized when we have had options to select taller players. We have at times played some very average football. We have senior players out of form and in the Sanfl. We only have a handful of injuries yet we don't have the players knocking down the door for selection. He seems to be outcoached most weeks. If you use Longmuir and Fremantle as the comparison, we are so far behind. We don't seem to have a consistent game plan, We are using one of our best connection players behind the ball.

I just dont see the improvement. It wouldn't surprise me, if by the end of the year, some players want to be traded out, and it wont be who we want.
To answer your question I can see Nick's being moved on at the end of the year.
My dream scenario is Clarko is available and wants to come. Am I dreaming? Yes but I dare to dream.
My next choice is Yze. He should be our coach now. He is the brains behind Melbourne's turnaround. Much sought after. Would he come here after we rejected him. Debatable.
Buckley. Would he leave melb? Probably not but for the right challenge he may.

Lets not waste time if the club believes Nicks is not the right man.

Last edited:
He’s nowhere near as clean as Sloane was. Not even close. Doesn’t seem to be get in the right places for me to receive and accelerate from the contest

I see the same people talk about an acceleration that just isn’t in evidence

Now, let’s be fair. There’s a player here, the question is what sort of level

For me, he fumbles too much and the game can appear a bit quick for him when he’s trying to be more offensive in winning his own ball. But he’s an energiser bunny defensively and doesn’t mind getting physical.

It’s easy to see him in the back end of the rotation with a little more polish. But whether that’s enough to hold off newcomers each year trying to take that away from him.

At the moment he’s still all effort, elbows and thumbs. Not on his own there though
Don't reckon you're giving him enough credit offensively. He's a smart player in congestion, knows how to create space (don't agree that he can't provide acceleration from the contest, it's not close to Petracca levels obviously but it's enough to be effective), and knows how to both produce and aid linkup chains quite well. Also believe that he's a cleaner player than you're giving him credit for. Has shown this multiple times in the past three weeks, IMO

Now, whether he develops into Rory Sloane or Liam Shiels remains to be seen, but IMO the signs are extremely promising for a second year player, at this point in time

And you know this how?
this might be BS armchair expert on my part but i feel that modern premiership teams have a coach that is a good manager of people, navigates all the egos, gets players / staff to buy in, and gives good pep talks. but they arent the strategic brains behind everything (nor could hey be everything) I feel they are more managers than coaches, akin to the premier league. I see Yze as very smart operator who has come up under some great systems (after his playing days) I would swap any assistant we have for him but it is an unknown if he commands the room like other coaches would. that all being said i would love to have him take over the team but it might be a poisoned chalice.

on a side note talking about coaches i really enjoyed watching the behind the scenes stuff from Sam Mitchells time at box hill, after seeing i completely understand why they turfed Clarkson, it was all ballsy move but it might pay off.

He’s nowhere near as clean as Sloane was. Not even close. Doesn’t seem to be get in the right places for me to receive and accelerate from the contest

I see the same people talk about an acceleration that just isn’t in evidence

Now, let’s be fair. There’s a player here, the question is what sort of level

For me, he fumbles too much and the game can appear a bit quick for him when he’s trying to be more offensive in winning his own ball. But he’s an energiser bunny defensively and doesn’t mind getting physical.

It’s easy to see him in the back end of the rotation with a little more polish. But whether that’s enough to hold off newcomers each year trying to take that away from him.

At the moment he’s still all effort, elbows and thumbs. Not on his own there though

Compare him to Soligo and Rachele. Both are cleaner, both hit their targets (generally) Soligo brings Berry level tackling but he is also faster. Berry is a good player though, but if Taylor who has high wraps on him starts pushing for selection can Berry hold him off?

Don't reckon you're giving him enough credit offensively. He's a smart player in congestion, knows how to create space (don't agree that he can't provide acceleration from the contest, it's not close to Petracca levels obviously but it's enough to be effective), and knows how to both produce and aid linkup chains quite well. Also believe that he's a cleaner player than you're giving him credit for. Has shown this multiple times in the past three weeks, IMO

Now, whether he develops into Rory Sloane or Liam Shiels remains to be seen, but IMO the signs are extremely promising for a second year player, at this point in time

Sorry, but I think this is pure invention, wishful thinking and fantasy. It just isn’t the player we see today

Hopefully he develops into something resembling this 👍

Compare him to Soligo and Rachele. Both are cleaner, both hit their targets (generally) Soligo brings Berry level tackling but he is also faster. Berry is a good player though, but if Taylor who has high wraps on him starts pushing for selection can Berry hold him off?

I like Soligo but he's not in the same ball park as Berry when it comes to defense.

For good reason too, Berry averages the most tackles and pressure acts per game in the league at the moment.

Is that all there is to defense? I’m not so sure

Not at all, though out of what we have available to compare players, I'm hesistant to include intercepts, spoils, 1% or one on one loss rate in marking contests for an inside midfielder. All seem more relevant to defenders then elsewhere.

Is that all there is to defense? I’m not so sure
If what Berry gives us is pure inside grunt with the ability to move forward in congestion, then I think we've got what we paid for. Does need to build a bit more tank to work two ways imo, but I reckon he's going pretty well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So looking ahead we have

Geelong (A) - Loss
West Coast (H) - Win
Suns (A) - 50/50
North (A Tassie) - 50/50
Melbourne (H) - Loss
Hawthorn (A) - Loss
Colingwood (H) - 50/50
Sydney (A) - Loss
Carlton (H) - Loss
WCE (A) - 50/50
North (H) - Win
Port (A) - Loss

From what I can see if we actually turn up and play decent football there is no reason why we can't win 5-6 of the those games. Given who we're playing, at a minimum there is no excuse at all for not winning at least four of those games.

I'd say at this point that if we were to only win 2-3 games from this point that Nicks' card might be stamped.

So looking ahead we have

Geelong (A) - Loss
West Coast (H) - Win
Suns (A) - 50/50
North (A Tassie) - 50/50
Melbourne (H) - Loss
Hawthorn (A) - Loss
Colingwood (H) - 50/50
Sydney (A) - Loss
Carlton (H) - Loss
WCE (A) - 50/50
North (H) - Win
Port (A) - Loss

From what I can see if we actually turn up and play decent football there is no reason why we can't win 5-6 of the those games. Given who we're playing, at a minimum there is no excuse at all for not winning at least four of those games.

I'd say at this point that if we were to only win 2-3 games from this point that Nicks' card might be stamped.

We should be beating North and West Coast twice, though the game in Tasmania might be close

If what Berry gives us is pure inside grunt with the ability to move forward in congestion, then I think we've got what we paid for. Does need to build a bit more tank to work two ways imo, but I reckon he's going pretty well.
Berry looks like a solid player but he doesn't look like he has a high cieling.

I think he might be a matt crouch... reaches his cieling early in his career and maintains the level... but doesn't get better. Crouch has been the same since he debuted. Apart from cleaning up his disposal, he hasn't improved much at all, probably due to his lack of athleticism.

I
So looking ahead we have

Geelong (A) - Loss
West Coast (H) - Win
Suns (A) - 50/50
North (A Tassie) - 50/50
Melbourne (H) - Loss
Hawthorn (A) - Loss
Colingwood (H) - 50/50
Sydney (A) - Loss
Carlton (H) - Loss
WCE (A) - 50/50
North (H) - Win
Port (A) - Loss

I think we will be looking at around 6 wins for the year. Nicks needs to keep seeing what we have on our list.

I think he might be a matt crouch... reaches his cieling early in his career and maintains the level... but doesn't get better. Crouch has been the same since he debuted. Apart from cleaning up his disposal, he hasn't improved much at all, probably due to his lack of athleticism.
I hope he can reach the Luke Parker levels, he seems to have similar athletic abilities and intensity. I hope he can move forward during play from time to time as he's good overhead and a nice leap.

No pressure though!

We should be beating North and West Coast twice, though the game in Tasmania might be close
What a clash of the titans that game promises to be.

His tank would have been one of his assets when drafted but I suppose it's a bit different when you add clashing with bigger bodies too.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

No bloody way, Sam Berty's 3.02 sec 20 metres, 6.10 2km run, running vertical jump 81cm right leg, 94cm left leg are all high end athletic scores.

Numbers Matty could only dream about.

So looking ahead we have

Geelong (A) - Loss
West Coast (H) - Win
Suns (A) - 50/50
North (A Tassie) - 50/50
Melbourne (H) - Loss
Hawthorn (A) - Loss
Colingwood (H) - 50/50
Sydney (A) - Loss
Carlton (H) - Loss
WCE (A) - 50/50
North (H) - Win
Port (A) - Loss

Doubt we beat suns away, they’re going ok.

Are you talking about the same M.Crouch who 4 years after being drafted he developed into an AA and B&F inside midfielder the year we made the Grand Final? Berry has more attribute, he is quicker and can play forward as he can take a mark unlike M.Crouch who is a pure inside midfielder.

The fact we don’t kick any goals… is this chicken or egg?

Is it Nicks’ gameplan, or is it the gameplan he has to have with the cattle he’s got?

It’s a ******* painstaking way to play football, trying to win 11 goals to 9 every week.

Not much margin for error.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back