Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide's rebuild?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
just putting it out there. With a new coach on board and him being able to set his senior assistant and line coaches as he wants them. It is not out of the realms of possibility that we see a real lift from most of the squad next year on field. A new approach to player management, a new game plan and new eyes to look over things might see guys like Rory Laird, Milera etc shoot right back up to their very best form. Could actually be a really exciting time next year - will be ups and downs, but it looks like lessons may just have been learned off field and that should help the on field

Was Nicks in Ricciuto's wedding?

Are they secretly married to each other and the long distance thing wasn’t working anymore?

Not that it really matters, but the way it seems Roo likes to do things, if it came to a 50-50 decision he’d probably choose the guy he used to play footy with over a complete outsider. That’s why I thought I’d ask.

We could have gotten Hawthorn Clarkson intellectual property, and instead we are getting Port Hinkley and GWS Cameron intellectual property. This is not to say Nicks won't be a brilliant coach, but this is a fact.
Good thing we're not recruiting a coach for their IP. It they bring some it's a bonus, but it's far from a priority.

I hope Nicks can bring that hard edge to the Crows that we have been so sorely missing.
This!
I'll stick my neck out --- from the articles/quotes and presser Nicks comes across as another good bloke, a well-intentioned (of course) newbie who's done his apprenticeship, but I didn't want to hear at all about "healing" or "culture change" or "bringing the Club together". I wasn't impressed eg he said after talking with a number of people during the interview process: "I've heard nothing except positive comments around where the Club's at ... everyone I've met so far has fantastic character ...". :drunk:
He's been talking to the wrong people, or he's dreamin'.
The playing group are jaded and dispirited. Campo, Hart and Burton were a joke. Chapman is in Lala Land. In 2019, the Crows were the deflated souffle of the Comp.

I wanted to hear our new Coach talk about toughness, unsociable/skillful/ fast-gutrunning-footy-with-mongrel. Think: a combination of Rounds 1-6, plus the PF, 2017.
The Crows' problems didn't have to do with contested possession. Richmond are noted contested possession-count losers and just won another Flag. This year the Crows were up more than a few times by 30+ points and LOST.
I wanted to hear Nicks address that ie getting 30+ ahead and finishing even further ahead.
I want the rest of the competition to not want to play the Crows-under-Nicks, because they're mean and tough, hard and ruthless, because they get on top and stay on top Steve-Waugh-style, because they win close games hard and ugly, because they thrash weaker sides, and because the Crows are so bloody hard to beat.
I hope my hunches about Nicks are wrong; I really do. We'll know, soon enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This!
I'll stick my neck out --- from the articles/quotes and presser Nicks comes across as another good bloke, a well-intentioned (of course) newbie who's done his apprenticeship, but I didn't want to hear at all about "healing" or "culture change" or "bringing the Club together". I wasn't impressed eg he said after talking with a number of people during the interview process: "I've heard nothing except positive comments around where the Club's at ... everyone I've met so far has fantastic character ...". :drunk:
The playing group are jaded and dispirited. Campo, Hart and Burton were a joke. Chapman is in Lala Land. In 2019, the Crows were the deflated souffle of the Comp.
I wanted to hear our new Coach talk about toughness, unsociable/skillful/ fast-gutrunning-footy-with-mongrel. Think: a combination of Rounds 1-6, plus the PF, 2017.
The Crows' problems didn't have to do with contested possession. Richmond are noted contested possession-count losers and just won another Flag. This year the Crows were up more than a few times by 30+ points and LOST.
I wanted to hear Nicks address that ie getting 30+ ahead and finishing even further ahead.
I want the rest of the competition to not want to play the Crows-under-Nicks, because they're mean and tough, hard and ruthless, because they get on top and stay on top Steve-Waugh-style, because they win close games hard and ugly, because they thrash weaker sides, and because the Crows are so bloody hard to beat.
Well he's probably been talking to most people since Burton and Campo have left so people may be happier already?
Also he said he wants his team to thrive and seek out the contest. That doesn't necessarily mean to win the contested possession count each and every week. He's also said he wants a smaller forward line, he wants to create a defensive mechanism to create turnover and score off turnover (mentioned Richmond being the benchmark).

No coach is going to come out and say that he wants his team to be unsociable but he did mention seeking out the contest.

I'm not convinced they have a plan.

This alleged dynamic decision making hasn't exactly yielded on field success

Agree. I misapplied my post. Was supposed to reply to another who has yet to se something from Reid. Me too.

“Want players to put their head in the hole like Sloane”... no the team needs less players wanting to put their ‘head in the hole’ at the same time and leaving their opponents free while ball hunting, especially Sloane.

“Want players to put their head in the hole like Sloane”... no the team needs less players wanting to put their ‘head in the hole’ at the same time and leaving their opponents free while ball hunting, especially Sloane.

Ah the Sando strategy.

I get that you want everyone on your list willing to put themselves in harm's way to win a hardball, but we'll see if Nicks is smart enough structurally to teach them when to go or not.

Is this perception or reality though?

Yes, they seem to get the better "names" but if, as you said they perannialy finish below us, doesn't that mean that they don't actually trade, recruit or develop that well at all (at least compared to us)?

In the end, they're a small club that relies on headlines and good news stories to keep them relevant in SA where clearly we rule the media coverage. It's a $$ game, and compared to us, they struggle for the corporate dollar in SA. There's no doubt they take that into consideration when they target players. But in the end, results on the field is the only thing that members want in the long run...

Yep. I somehow replied to the incorrect post. The one I wanted was a comment on Reid having yet to show something. That's also how I feel .

This!

What I noticed during the presser with camera shots of the players is they looked like they were totally dispirited. Each face I saw. Dunno why, but there was no warmness or happy smiles. Thought it odd.

Guess he's got to win them over before the real tough hard ruthlessness is brought to the fore. Hope so anyway.

Ah the Sando strategy.

I get that you want everyone on your list willing to put themselves in harm's way to win a hardball, but we'll see if Nicks is smart enough structurally to teach them when to go or not.

Like people have said the game style, rejuvenating with younger players talk is literally just copy and paste from Sando in his 2011 introduction presser & interviews, they even both done Commerce degrees and work outside of football which Roo says he ‘likes’.

He did also make a strong comment though about forcing turnovers with dynamic movement once in possession .
To me that is him saying we will be fierce in the contest and will like Richmond become the hunters .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back