Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide's rebuild?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like people have said the game style, rejuvenating with younger players talk is literally just copy and paste from Sando in his 2011 introduction presser & interviews, they even both done Commerce degrees and work outside of football which Roo says he ‘likes’.

To be fair, then and now, those are the right things to say. Play hard, tough football, show some comradery, and have some pride in the jumper are all improvements on the back end of last season, and keystones of good sides. Especially as we're embracing a refresh so Nicks is forced into embracing youth.

The proof is in the pudding, but there is nothing there to be concerned about, nor is there anything to be thrilled about.

Ah the Sando strategy.

I get that you want everyone on your list willing to put themselves in harm's way to win a hardball, but we'll see if Nicks is smart enough structurally to teach them when to go or not.

Or drop them when they are ineffective at winning the hard contest ................ We'll see.

“Want players to put their head in the hole like Sloane”... no the team needs less players wanting to put their ‘head in the hole’ at the same time and leaving their opponents free while ball hunting, especially Sloane.
Both is right

Yes we want more players prepared to put their head in the hole

Yes we dont want everyone with a see ball get ball mentailty and sheep doging for the ball

But when its your turn to go, its your turn to go....

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

i originally wasn't for Nicks. I wasn't totally against, he just didn't have what i really wanted in a coach when i started reading up on him.
However, I'm starting to really turn around and think he will good and I love how hes approaching this challenge.
He's going to get them to play hard while also cement good relationships.
He seems like a good bloke too, which also helps because i started getting the 'creepy' vibe from pyke towards the end there.

We could have gotten Hawthorn Clarkson intellectual property, and instead we are getting Port Hinkley and GWS Cameron intellectual property. This is not to say Nicks won't be a brilliant coach, but this is a fact.
Carlton thought they were getting a mini-Clarkson. Doesn’t always work like that

I agree with this line of discussion. Modeling successful organisations, and poaching their staff, is 'shortcut thinking' and pretty much disproven when someone goes and does a retrospective analysis of how it worked out. But it is such a tempting and logical thought, that it is almost impossible to resist.

The classic example was "In Search of Excellence", by Peters and Waterman in the 80's. The authors investigated hundreds of the most successful organisations of the day, and revealed the key, common attributes that these organisations shared. Sounds good, yes? ISOE became an MBA text at the time and for many years. "Read this, learn about how to model and deliver management excellence, and achieving outcomes." But looking back years later, it was found that, not only did a very high proportion of those organisations come back to the fold (or crash completely) in the years to come, but organisations that poached their key people and/or modelled the key attributes, also did nothing special.

But it is so, so tempting.

Doesn't work.

It's actually pretty hard to pick a new leader. If one puts aside disproven shortcuts like hoping that working in a successful environment has rubbed off, I respect the 'first principles' approach that the selection panel took, of clearly identifying what they want in the person, not in his or her past bosses, organisations or teams, and then finding the applicant who best matches the qualities they listed.

Like I said about a month ago, it's hard to overstate how important it is for AFC to be a destination of choice, and they haven't been nailing it of late. This is where Nicks' reputed strengths look like a good thing for us. If he can get the players to love playing here and play with pride in the guernsey, then they will want to stay and others will want to come, and the foundation is laid for the future.

cheers

We could have gotten Hawthorn Clarkson intellectual property, and instead we are getting Port Hinkley and GWS Cameron intellectual property. This is not to say Nicks won't be a brilliant coach, but this is a fact.

I'm not sure whether I want to be going to the Clarkson tree either- has it yielded much to date? It's strange, but sometimes the best coaches dont have impressive coaching trees- they make their assistants look better.

Bellichek in the NFL is a pretty good example- GOAT coach, but no one from his line has every been any good.

Aw shucks, AFC vs everybody was me. Thanks for then mention. Stolen slogan mind you.

No delusion here btw. We've been hammered from every direction since the 17 GF. The on and off field changes we've seen in the past week are significant. Still some bad apples but I'm ready to go in to bat for the club now.

On SM-A520F using BigFooty.com mobile app

You want to go in to bat for bad apples?

Why?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure whether I want to be going to the Clarkson tree either- has it yielded much to date? It's strange, but sometimes the best coaches dont have impressive coaching trees- they make their assistants look better.

Bellichek in the NFL is a pretty good example- GOAT coach, but no one from his line has every been any good.
Simpson , Beveridge and Hardwick , 4 flags ??

Both is right

Yes we want more players prepared to put their head in the hole

Yes we dont want everyone with a see ball get ball mentailty and sheep doging for the ball

But when its your turn to go, its your turn to go....

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Talking about the Rorys there

I don't need all U sociable or all attacking flare. I want him to build a team of extremely smart footballers that work together as a well oiled machined.

This needs to be the team that knows when to be aggressive and unsociable but also have the ability to play exciting fast football with flair. It's about knowing when to do what and maintaining that flexibility.

I love Leigh Matthews concept of cold and hot aggression. Hot aggression is useless and waste energy. Cold calculated precise aggression is absolutely where you need to be. That's what I want from the crows, cold, methodical and deliberate.

I don't need all U sociable or all attacking flare. I want him to build a team of extremely smart footballers that work together as a well oiled machined.

This needs to be the team that knows when to be aggressive and unsociable but also have the ability to play exciting fast football with flair. It's about knowing when to do what and maintaining that flexibility.

I love Leigh Matthews concept of cold and hot aggression. Hot aggression is useless and waste energy. Cold calculated precise aggression is absolutely where you need to be. That's what I want from the crows, cold, methodical and deliberate.
I think its about the concept of team. If your mates in trouble you help him. That means if someone hurts him you go in and let the opposition know its not on.

Hot/cold aggression is a good term and I think Port get sucked into too many hot aggression moments. They start the fights to put opposition off but I think it derails their planning.

Cold aggression is the Hawthorn model. Niggling, pushing , knocking the ball - giving up the occassional 50 but letting the opposition know they are not going to have it easy

Sanderson
Pyke
Now nicks.

Have all presented the same way at their first presser.

Niel Craig talk the talk and walked the walk.

I didn't follow the club closely during ayres years. Blight disillusioned me. He also talked the talk but ran at the first sign of trouble. Left deep wounds in the clubs soul.

Shaw presented Much like the first three mentioned

Cornes biggest mistake, Tony mcguiness. He should of been left at footdcray.

Walsh was powerful and genuine. I've seen nothing like it. If we're gonna have man conversations about this club, Walsh was a masterstroke.

I don't think nicks is going to work. He don't understand this club.

He cited his time at Sydney and the culture there. Those two granny's in a row against the west coke eagles. He said that's what he wants us to be like. The thing is, our culture was better at that time. They couldn't beat us. If they received half the rubbish we did from victorian umpires, they would of barely made the eight. Sydney gets free rides, we get taxed heavily.

It should of been us in 2005. The ricciuto suspension was vfl regulating us. Inhibiting us. It should of been us again in 2006 but Darren goldsspink obviously bet on West Coast for the premiership. Nicks has a warped sense of reality.

Nicks the stockbroker doesn't do anything for the argument there is no boys club. We picked a Businessman last time as well. Like Pyke, he knows the language to speak to our club. Our board is a corporate board only.

He's South Australian, coached at port for a long time. These are good things. Spent a year inside the system Kevin sheedy set up. Sheedy set up two systems, both Essendon gws had a superior system. Gws gets free rides but what they've achieved, is remarkable as what you could get, without a premiership. But in trying to think, of any quality senior coaches have come from sheedy system?

James hird lol.
Tim Watson no good either.

Sanderson
Pyke
Now nicks.

I didn't follow the club closely during ayres years. Blight disillusioned me. He also talked the talk but ran at the first sign of trouble. Left deep wounds in the clubs soul.

Walsh was powerful and genuine. I've seen nothing like it. If we're gonna have man conversations about this club, Walsh was a masterstroke.

He cited his time at Sydney and the culture there. Those two granny's in a row against the west coke eagles. He said that's what he wants us to be like. The thing is, our culture was better at that time. They couldn't beat us. If they received half the rubbish we did from victorian umpires, they would of barely made the eight. Sydney gets free rides, we get taxed heavily.

It should of been us in 2005. The ricciuto suspension was vfl regulating us. Inhibiting us. It should of been us again in 2006 but Darren goldsspink obviously bet on West Coast for the premiership. Nicks has a warped sense of reality.

Nicks the stockbroker doesn't do anything for the argument there is no boys club. We picked a Businessman last time as well. Like Pyke, he knows the language to speak to our club. Our board is a corporate board only.

He's South Australian, coached at port for a long time. These are good things. Spent a year inside the system Kevin sheedy set up. Sheedy set up two systems, both Essendon gws had a superior system. Gws gets free rides but what they've achieved, is remarkable as what you could get, without a premiership. But in trying to think, of any quality senior coaches have come from sheedy system?

James hird lol.
Not that you'd want to go early on a call.

Sanderson
Pyke
Now nicks.

James hird lol.
Is that you Rucci.

Sanderson
Pyke
Now nicks.

James hird lol.

Should have, would have #

Sanderson
Pyke
Now nicks.

James hird lol.

That rant is certainly way out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back