Matthew Nicks Adelaide's new coach

Are you on board with the AFC's decision to appoint Matthew Nicks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Eagleboy2011

Premiership Player
May 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
WWTFC
My one eyed, rose coloured glasses take:

- inherited a broken playing group in a highly challenging season
- gave everyone (almost) a chance to buy into "team first" and prove themselves
- ability aside, feels like we now have core group with a fresh mindset
- gave the kids a good run to build confidence
- game plan emerging

Hopefully he can get some good people around him next year. A normal preseason and a slew of high picks will help his cause
Sort of agree. The pre season was poor. Game plan was non existent. He hoped the failed senior players would have got him through. The inclusion of the kids helped immensely but I feel there is a magnet pulling on him to keep some of the seniors. In would like to know how we changed the game plan, was it just Nicks?

Ramses Red

Senior List
Sep 29, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Sort of agree. The pre season was poor. Game plan was non existent. He hoped the failed senior players would have got him through. The inclusion of the kids helped immensely but I feel there is a magnet pulling on him to keep some of the seniors. In would like to know how we changed the game plan, was it just Nicks?
This off-season we'll see where we sit with the seniors. Will be a big show of where we are truly going. And hopefully some of those magnets are gone too.

Game plan wise I feel in part the kids enabled changes. Glimpses of line breaking, run, contested marking and direct attack couldn't happen with the seniors.

Geoffa32

Hall of Famer
Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
Four weeks ago I thought Nicks was a dud.

No distinct ball method and sloppy defensive structures.

Since Geeling game things changed. Even last night there was more structured and method to yhe way we pkayed. Just lacked polish against a genuine flag contender

I wanted Yze, still wish we got him. But nit unhappy with Nicks now.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

VictorianCrow85

Club Legend
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Four weeks ago I thought Nicks was a dud.

No distinct ball method and sloppy defensive structures.

Since Geeling game things changed. Even last night there was more structured and method to yhe way we pkayed. Just lacked polish against a genuine flag contender

I wanted Yze, still wish we got him. But nit unhappy with Nicks now.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Yeah we may have been well beaten last night but you can at least see there was structure and effort. Just a lot of things we need to improve across the ground and personnel changes over the next couple years are a big part of it. I know Nicks references the wins off field a lot and while some of it is also just probably trying to stay positive I think you can see with the playing group they look a bit happier so there's likely some truth to it which is ultimately very important in the long run.

Now to see what changes come in the offseason and where things are really at next year after.

Golumless

I'm kind of a big deal on the east side
Jul 12, 2013
Wherever the ESH clubrooms are
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Newcastle, Rockies, Oceanics
I suppose that could have been a lot worse of a season for Nicks. Coming in late to a truly broken club after the players mutinied against the Pyke/Burton regime and a side being understaffed before COVID would have made Nicks job the toughest in football. A job that only amplifies by COVID and our under-sized operation being even more under-sized. After the North game, that job looked a step too far from Nicks.

Still the last six games have certainly been promising. It seems like Nicks stopped the bleeding and has managed to introduce some semblance of structure and game plan to our play (and it looks like a style that'll hold up to the rigours of finals). It also is beginning to look like our players actually like being teammates with one another instead of being 22 strangers on a football field which the last 2 and a 1/2 years certainly had that vibe.

I'll probably give a C- for Nicks this year. Probably helps I came into this season expecting to be in the bottom 4.

FR0GGY

Press the button
Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Things seemed to have gone in reverse, usually you get a spike and things go downhill from there with a new coach.
Nicks has gone the opposite, hopefully a sign of good things to come.

Remove this Banner Ad

Top Bottom