Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide's rebuild?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seriously, if somehow we could lure Neil Balme over to become our head of football (it won't happen but it can't hurt to dream), it would be the BIGGEST get this club has had for a very long time (Phil Walsh excluded). Talk about a guy that creates the right culture...he is THE man

Balme would have drop punted Burton from outside 50, if he was still with us.

Even if we dont get Balme, at least the Club is thinking of the right choices.

I found that interesting - Knicker's first interview with Fagan he said all the assistants would be there next year.

Oh no, he's been AFC'd already!
TBF, how many of the assistants that he wants on his panel are actually currently available?

Was thinking what our coaching panel might look like. If we are expecting it to be shuffled around rather a completely fresh panel, would something like this be realistic?

AFL:
Senior Coach: Nicks
Head of Strategy: ???
Forward: ???
Midfield: Mattner
Defense: Godden
Ruck: Clarke

SANFL:
Senior Coach: Younie
Development coaches: Wright, Reilly, Hart, Thomas

I'm hoping for a new forwards coach and we should get a new head of strategy. I moved Godden to defense based on something I heard from an Eagles supporter I know. He said it was always his major strength. Mattner could move potentially to the midfield. I'm just dithering on whether or not Paul Thomas gets to move up to coach the AFL mids. He's been in the system a while now. We could potentially have Mattner move to the forwards instead if Thomas gets promoted.

Would have thought Hart would be let go but if he survives, the SANFL would be preferable to me.

I see the whole “which school did you go to” question as an entirely different perspective and not one of an elitist derivative. Adelaide is small enough that if someone went to a school that a friend did there’s a chance that you both know similar friends.

I’ve never asked it as a point of judgement and never felt someone has done the same to me.

I see the whole “which school did you go to” question as an entirely different perspective and not one of an elitist derivative. Adelaide is small enough that if someone went to a school that a friend did there’s a chance that you both know similar friends.

I’ve never asked it as a point of judgement and never felt someone has done the same to me.
Which school did you go to?

I beg to differ with a lot of what has been written above. Look at our judges, diplomats, lawyers, politicians, top business people, top arts administrators, board members of companies and you will find that a great % of them come from the 'best' private schools. Not just in Adelaide, nationwide. To suggest that the old private school tie has no clout is nonsense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blight was unbelievable. Just had a full suite of all the skills and took a good team and made them great.
Blight was a freak as a player and a coach.

Ron Barrassi said once that Blight could almost do the impossible, and he just did freakish things as a player like they were easy.

He said that you could never show a video of Blight to a kid and ask them to aspire to play he did, because he just was such an amazing player. Totally out of position and just could pull off something no other player could.

As a coach he was also not one that you could write a coaching manual by. He came from Geelong as an "almost there" coach but he was absolutely the right fit for us, at the right time.

There's a quote from Phil Walsh about art and how to produce it you have to be a little bit mad (or something to this effect).

That's Blighty in a nutshell and football was his art. A massive talent and a genius.

I'm a bit of a fan of his BTW :)

Blight was a freak as a player and a coach.

Ron Barrassi said once that Blight could almost do the impossible, and he just did freakish things as a player like they were easy.

He said that you could never show a video of Blight to a kid and ask them to aspire to play he did, because he just was such an amazing player. Totally out of position and just could pull off something no other player could.

As a coach he was also not one that you could write a coaching manual by. He came from Geelong as an "almost there" coach but he was absolutely the right fit for us, at the right time.

There's a quote from Phil Walsh about art and how to produce it you have to be a little bit mad (or something to this effect).

That's Blighty in a nutshell and football was his art. A massive talent and a genius.

I'm a bit of a fan of his BTW :)
Interesting take on Blighty. Something very similar was said about Warne. The kids should ever have been given a DVD based on Warne's leg-spin. The smarter coaches were trying to teach the juniors based off of MacGill technique

Interesting take on Blighty. Something very similar was said about Warne. The kids should ever have been given a DVD based on Warne's leg-spin. The smarter coaches were trying to teach the juniors based off of MacGill technique
Steve Smith is the perfect example. You can't teach kids to bat that way

Was thinking what our coaching panel might look like. If we are expecting it to be shuffled around rather a completely fresh panel, would something like this be realistic?

AFL:

SANFL:

I'm hoping for a new forwards coach and we should get a new head of strategy. I moved Godden to defense based on something I heard from an Eagles supporter I know. He said it was always his major strength. Mattner could move potentially to the midfield. I'm just dithering on whether or not Paul Thomas gets to move up to coach the AFL mids. He's been in the system a while now. We could potentially have Mattner move to the forwards instead if Thomas gets promoted.

Would have thought Hart would be let go but if he survives, the SANFL would be preferable to me.

Look I don't know where Matty Wright sits with his coaching accreditations. And also everyone here being so critical of any internal appointments.

But for a bloke with limited abilities and below average pace he was a very handy AFL forward that topped the goalkicking at a s**t club like Carlton more than once. He knows forward craft and understands the game. He was a smart footballer and made the most of pretty average skills.

He would not, in my view, be an ordinary appointment as a forwards coach.

AFL:

SANFL:

I would leave Godden as Midfield Coach and push Mattner as Forwards Coach and now that Thomas is staying move him up to Defensive Coach

Look I don't know where Matty Wright sits with his coaching accreditations. And also everyone here being so critical of any internal appointments.

But for a bloke with limited abilities and below average pace he was a very handy AFL forward that topped the goalkicking at a s**t club like Carlton more than once. He knows forward craft and understands the game. He was a smart footballer and made the most of pretty average skills.

He would not, in my view, be an ordinary appointment as a forwards coach.
Isn't he still the captain of the SANFL team though..?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back