Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide's rebuild?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm I might be remembering a different game v Melbourne, then. There have been enough sh*t ones in recent years that they kind of blend together.

They turn into the Harlem Globetrotters every time they play us. Even the biggest spud in the history of football, Michael Newton played the best game of his career against us.

Last edited:

AFC3000

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
I understand the call for Younie to get a promotion but at the same time, if we are going with a strong youth focus over the next couple of years (won't all be in the AFL side) why not have the best person for that job doing that job?

Development can't just be job we give to the guys who are no good at AFL level.

His talent is already at the club, we have limited positions to bring people in, for once can we bring some experienced people in near the top to give us a boost in overall strength rather than shuffle people around and promote from within.

I know it's late and moving people to Adelaide is tough, but if the importance of a plan to implement things that makes getting quality people to Adelaide wasn't one of the review suggestions I'd be pretty disappointed.

Last edited:
May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
I understand the call for Younie to get a promotion but at the same time, if we are going with a strong youth focus over the next couple of years (won't all be in the AFL side) why not have the best person for that job doing that job?

Development can't just be job we give to the guys who are no good at AFL level.
Evidently the club feels the same way. They kicked out O'Keefe and moved Younie back to the SANFL side because he was better in that role. I agree with your point. If Younie is good in that role, and he's okay with staying put, why not just keep him there?

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Not the best fitness coach? His innovative fitness regime helped as win two premierships. Intense training period in the lead up to finals, then tapering - that was Neil Craig. As I said above, he was also responsible for the swarming attack from defence.
... and 'zoning'.
Craig studied netball and NBL basketball zoning and set up the Crows in zones. Focused on turnovers and getting the ball back from the oppo, making players think more about what they were doing when opponents had the ball. Also looked at 'set plays' in gridiron.
Zoning worked often and was copied extensively.
Problem is, sometimes a zone breaks down or a side finds a way to counter it ==> Plan B required eg go man-to-man to slow a side down. Craig didn't have one. Nor Pyke.
Also, sometimes players need the Blight-freedom to do something good/innovative/different outside of structure and/or zoning rules --- they need to be able to show individual flair if the moment calls for it. I'm not talking specifically about unloading a torp, although that's one small example.
Blight encouraged players to TRY something and if it worked, do it again. If it didn't work, try something else (eg I don't think Blighty would have minded Eddie going for MOTY --- ONCE a game --- but go back to crumbing if it didn't happen).
P.S. when Blight first came to the Crows he played some players out of their 'regular' position. My mate Fred and I were a bit confused, but it occurred to me later that he was trying to instill some variety/flexibility into them, to play multiple roles if needed, to plug a hole or replace someone injured on the day.

... and 'zoning'.
Craig studied netball and NBL basketball zoning and set up the Crows in zones. Focused on turnovers and getting the ball back from the oppo, making players think more about what they were doing when opponents had the ball. Also looked at 'set plays' in gridiron.
Problem is, sometimes a zone breaks down or a side finds a way to counter it ==> Plan B required eg go man-to-man to slow a side down. Craig didn't have one. Nor Pyke.
Also, sometimes players need the Blight-freedom to do something good/innovative/different outside of structure and/or zoning rules --- they need to be able to show individual flair if the moment calls for it. I'm not talking specifically about unloading a torp, although that's one small example.
Blight encouraged players to TRY something and if it worked, do it again. If it didn't work, try something else (eg I don't think Blighty would have minded Eddie going for MOTY --- ONCE a game --- but go back to crumbing if it didn't happen).
P.S. when Blight first came to the Crows he played some players out of their 'regular' position. My mate Fred and I were a bit confused, but it occurred to me later that he was trying to instill some variety/flexibility into them, to play multiple roles if needed, to plug a hole or replace someone injured on the day.

Craig also liked that so much he expanded it further so that everyone knew everyone’s role and hence we became the Crowbots. It was the “man down: next man up” concept.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Evidently the club feels the same way. They kicked out O'Keefe and moved Younie back to the SANFL side because he was better in that role. I agree with your point. If Younie is good in that role, and he's okay with staying put, why not just keep him there?
Im not sure the club kicked O'Keefe out at all. On Trends podcast O'Keefe talked about the amount of hours required to dedicate to a role and he felt he couldnt do it

Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, East Side Hawks
... and 'zoning'.
Zoning sucks with 6/6/6. We grass guarded and zoned and let teams run right through us.
herding the ball movement was negative as we just only decreased the time that a team still scored.

Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, East Side Hawks
Isnt it pretty obvious that Nicks is going to peruse multi stoppage for field position. We are going to grind next yr out of defensive fifty.
The mids are going to not hang back so much for the easy feed and it’s going to be more dire back there and as Sydney has done in the past. Stoppage is king.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
Isnt it pretty obvious that Nicks is going to peruse multi stoppage for field position. We are going to grind next yr out of defensive fifty.
The mids are going to not hang back so much for the easy feed and it’s going to be more dire back there and as Sydney has done in the past. Stoppage is king.
He said he would be all about that turnover game though.

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Zoning sucks with 6/6/6. We grass guarded and zoned and let teams run right through us.
herding the ball movement was negative as we just only decreased the time that a team still scored.
Jen and I were discussing zoning in the Craig era, years before 6/6/6 under which rules zoning does not work at centre bounces. 6/6/6 creates the need to man up for centre bounces and have fast-running players who can create a quick loose man.
This year, teams ran through and around us because the Crows' dispiritied and jaded players did not run both ways, harass and chase opponents.

Anyway, NICKS --- it'll be interesting to see what he comes up with for the 6/6/6, and the rest of it.
Isnt it pretty obvious that Nicks is going to peruse multi stoppage for field position. We are going to grind next yr out of defensive fifty. The mids are going to not hang back so much for the easy feed and it’s going to be more dire back there and as Sydney has done in the past. Stoppage is king.
Like everything else, this remains to be seen.
I think the game has moved past the Sydney "stoppage is king" technique.

crows dude

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 20, 2005
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Okeefe quit. It was all set that Hart would take the SANFL side then Francou quit so we moved Hart to the forwards and had Younie take the SANFL side rather than one of the development coaches. Younie is head of Development.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Craig also liked that so much he expanded it further so that everyone knew everyone’s role and hence we became the Crowbots. It was the “man down: next man up” concept.
The problem was even the opposition knew everyone's role

Slippery Pete

Samcro24 alias account
Jul 19, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Teams collectively end up adopting the personality of their coach.

Think about that, carefully. It’s true in almost all cases.

Teams with freakish coaches tend to do freakish things (think Crows under Blight). Teams with an a-hole for a coach tend to play like arseholes (think Port under Chocco).

Teams with pragmatic, clear, logical thinkers tend to play that way (think Brisbane under Matthews, think Geelong under C Scott).

Teams with unsociable taggers as coaches tend to play unsociable football (think Hawthorn under Clarkson).

Teams with a dour, defensive battler for a coach tend to play that way (think West Coast under Malthouse).

The general mechanics of the gameplan might change from year to year, but the overarching personality trait of the collective reflects the coach. Richmond play like Hardwick. They do a lot of off-the-ball stuff that gets under their opponents’ skin. So do GWS. Not every coach concentrates on that stuff, but Hardwick and Cameron do.

There’s many ways to skin a cat.

So what personality does Nicks have?

mattymac

Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No

This is an interesting philosophical point. I have a theory that nations often take on the traits of their leaders in a similar way.

Compare the beige blandness of Australian society in the Howard-Rudd-Gillard-Morrison eras compared to the more swashbuckling irreverent Hawke era.

On Nicks though, it all seems a bit Sando to me.

Jun 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide

Teams with freakish coaches tend to do freakish things (think Crows under Blight). Teams with an a-hole for a coach tend to play like arseholes (think Port under Chocco).

Teams with pragmatic, clear, logical thinkers tend to play that way (think Brisbane under Matthews, think Geelong under C Scott).

Teams with unsociable taggers as coaches tend to play unsociable football (think Hawthorn under Clarkson).

Teams with a dour, defensive battler for a coach tend to play that way (think West Coast under Malthouse).

The general mechanics of the gameplan might change from year to year, but the overarching personality trait of the collective reflects the coach. Richmond play like Hardwick. They do a lot of off-the-ball stuff that gets under their opponents’ skin. So do GWS. Not every coach concentrates on that stuff, but Hardwick and Cameron do.

There’s many ways to skin a cat.

So what personality does Nicks have?

This has solved a lot for me.
Pyke in coaches box, looking like a stunned mullet, not knowing wnat to do. Players on field looking bamboozled with the ball, with no idea what to do with it! ;) The main reason I stopped watching for most of the post-bye period.

Aug 21, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
This is an interesting philosophical point. I have a theory that nations often take on the traits of their leaders in a similar way.

Compare the beige blandness of Australian society in the Howard-Rudd-Gillard-Morrison eras compared to the more swashbuckling irreverent Hawke era.

On Nicks though, it all seems a bit Sando to me.

Well let's hope we're one goal better in next year's prelim then

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back