Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide's rebuild?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair point!
I'm not saying it's a genius move yet, he could need more help, but sometimes less is more and 3 of our 4 assistants now have experience running their own sides (and all have won premierships doing so). Those guys didn't get to where they are by accident, they have skills, at this point I don't think it's about adding more to the box it's about getting everyone moving in the same direction in a positive manner. That's where the improvement is.

I'm not saying it's a genius move yet, he could need more help, but sometimes less is more and 3 of our 4 assistants now have experience running their own sides (and all have won premierships doing so). Those guys didn't get to where they are by accident, they have skills, at this point I don't think it's about adding more to the box it's about getting everyone moving in the same direction in a positive manner. That's where the improvement is.

Yep. If the only change to the coaching box is Campo out then it's still probably a net gain of brains anyway :p

Turnovers out of stoppage. Cut it quickly.

Richmond led the league in turnover scoring, while GWS lead the league in stoppage clearances and scoring from stoppages.

I guess that suggests both styles can be successful when executed well.

Richmond led the league in turnover scoring, while GWS lead the league in stoppage clearances and scoring from stoppages.

I would say the driver of this is defensive pressure in the forward line ie Toby Greene. Everything is geared to creating a stoppage in the forward 50

Turnover scoring can mean more of the opposition are behind the ball ie caught out of position - and Richmond certainly used pace to create this

I would say the driver of this is defensive pressure in the forward line ie Toby Greene. Everything is geared to creating a stoppage in the forward 50

Turnover scoring can mean more of the opposition are behind the ball ie caught out of position - and Richmond certainly used pace to create this
Wish we had access to the actual stats rather than needing to guess.

My impression is that GWS scores from stoppage clearances all over the ground. Rather than from F50 stoppages specifically. Eg that stat would include winning a clearance on the wing, passing to a leading forward, who goes back and kicks the goal.

I must admit, the more I hear Nicks, the more I like him.

Obviously all talk at the moment, but it's a ray of hope in an otherwise shitty 2 years

Obviously all talk at the moment, but it's a ray of hope in an otherwise shitty 2 years

Thanks for that link. Great write up.

I think it’s very much execution.
* fear of failure and just execute.

It also depends on your list

GWS have a bunch of players who are damaging from clearances like Kelly and Coniglio

Richmond have a fleet of quick tough tackling small forwards who cause attacking half turnovers.

Then you have West Coast who had a handful of dominant contested marking players, so they could maintain possession with kick-mark chains.

Before them, Hawthorn with precision kicking from all over the field who sliced teams up with their short kicking game

There’s more than one way to win a premiership, but the coach is limited by the players at his disposal. At the moment we don’t have stand out traits in any one of those categories. Not obvious to me how Nicks is going to put the pieces together.

GWS have a bunch of players who are damaging from clearances like Kelly and Coniglio

Richmond have a fleet of quick tough tackling small forwards who cause attacking half turnovers.

Then you have West Coast who had a handful of dominant contested marking players, so they could maintain possession with kick-mark chains.

Before them, Hawthorn with precision kicking from all over the field who sliced teams up with their short kicking game

There’s more than one way to win a premiership, but the coach is limited by the players at his disposal. At the moment we don’t have stand out traits in any one of those categories. Not obvious to me how Nicks is going to put the pieces together.
Yes, execution.

What are you arguing? Are you saying our geriatric forward line of Tex JJ Lynch Murphy Betts and Douglas had the capacity to force forward half intercepts if only they executed a bit better?
I’m not arguing. Just reinstating what I said.

" “It’s amazing the language around footy circles like ‘oh, they had a poor year’… they were one game out of the finals last season.

“It was a poor second half results-wise, but I think the players are really enthusiastic about where it’s going.

“They don’t think they’re as far away as the outside might be saying. You’re never as bad or as good as everyone thinks. "

Uh oh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two lines I'd like to hear:
"As the coach I reserve the right to pick who I want for the last two players in the team. That is the best 20 pick themselves but I reserve the right to pick the last two and use those spots tactically to develop players".

and

"Our defensive system was probably the worst in the competition. We're going to have a complete overhaul of that. There's many aspects to it, from developing ruck tactics other than drop it at your feet, to doing things like have our mids get on the outside and push oppo mids in and then have the ruckmen hit it outside, to actually running with effective tagging at times, to having one tall and a fleet of smalls up forward, to using the extra numbers back tactics that every other team in the comp uses"

Well written article and very different philosophies to Pyke (which I think is a positive). There’s a few high paid journos who could learn from that article in how to be someone people will actually respect.

" “It’s amazing the language around footy circles like ‘oh, they had a poor year’… they were one game out of the finals last season.

“It was a poor second half results-wise, but I think the players are really enthusiastic about where it’s going.

“They don’t think they’re as far away as the outside might be saying. You’re never as bad or as good as everyone thinks. "

Uh oh.

Spike Lee joint

Well written article and very different philosophies to Pyke (which I think is a positive). There’s a few high paid journos who could learn from that article in how to be someone people will actually respect.
Reflect on the different philosophies that you are saying cos there aren’t any comparisons in the article or any that you are speaking about in the written word, like even yet.

Uh oh.

Truth " The writing was on the wall , we had an abysmal 2 years where the club imploded and were 1 loss from 14th with a piss easy draw " .

Uh oh.

Surely we're long past the point that what is said in an interview has any meaning whatsoever. We're just always going to hear the same worn out cliches designed to show that primarily a coach has confidence in a playing group and foster the idea that anything can happen, no matter what the results say.

Honesty has long been beaten out of PR training.

I agree, the appropriate gamestyle definitely needs to match the list, or the list needs to be developed to suit the style. Some teams recruit based on a certain style while others adopt a style playing to their strengths. Will be interesting to see which way the Crows go from here.

Regardless two non-negotiable are workrate and teamwork. Two things sorely missing since the bye, but also apparent as early as round 1.

Got a sense of humour too..

Your 22 for Round One?
“Well, the only one who has apparently locked himself in is the Texan, who’s moved himself to the wing.

“Good luck to him, if he can do it, we’ll get him up there, it will be an interesting one.”

I had to get a copy of the Round 14 1994 Footy Budget for work (long story) and I saw something interesting on this page, can you see it too?

Tyson Edwards and Matty Nicks played together in the West Adelaide reserves... and this 25 year old relationship will deliver a father/son to us next year!

IMG_9007.JPG

I had to get a copy of the Round 14 1994 Footy Budget for work (long story) and I saw something interesting on this page, can you see it too?

Tyson Edwards and Matty Nicks played together in the West Adelaide reserves... and this 25 year old relationship will deliver a father/son to us next year!

View attachment 782976
AFC Future Hall of Famers Brooke Fogden, Paul Patterson and Chris Groom being selected over Match Winning Premiership Stars Clay Sampson and Aaron Keating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back