Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide's rebuild?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Sloane Ranger

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Dec 22, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Likely true, you could see the difference the Giants brought come finals the year they had Nicks from previous years. Suddenly showed up to finals with mongrel and some real heat instead of their usual.
L Cameron and the Senior Players have said the Nicks installed a real toughness into the squad

Interesting that toughness isnt evident in 2020 with the Giants

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

VictorianCrow85

Premiership Player
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
L Cameron and the Senior Players have said the Nicks installed a real toughness into the squad

Interesting that toughness isnt evident in 2020 with the Giants

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Lot of players will go back to their default unless its constantly drilled in I guess and probably done by someone they respect so they want to go the extra mile.

Clearly you don't know how these generation "operate" growing up with social media 24 by 7.....even Eade (recently senior coach sacked) commented how you need to "handle" them differently.

Your "opinion" is trash, and using random "quotation" marks doesn't make it less trash.

Breaking news: the densest members of the most spoiled generation in history that enjoyed the remarkable benefits of the social democratic state before ripping it away from those that followed think that every generation that followed them is soft and coddled.

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Clearly you don't know how these generation "operate" growing up with social media 24 by 7.....even Eade (recently senior coach sacked) commented how you need to "handle" them differently.
Too be Honest it not generational, it Age related, Saw it Lot in the ARMY and it never changed over the years, Kid come in full of worldly knowledge, first thing you need to do is to clear there heads of all the Junk, They then learn faster and work as a team faster.
The KISS method is as important today as it was 40 years ago.

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Too be Honest it not generational, it Age related, Saw it Lot in the ARMY and it never changed over the years, Kid come in full of worldly knowledge, first thing you need to do is to clear there heads of all the Junk, They then learn faster and work as a team faster.
The KISS method is as important today as it was 40 years ago.
Probably way worst now in the army with the constant valuation youngster get from social media these days.

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Probably way worst now in the army with the constant valuation youngster get from social media these days.
Na. Still in contact with a lot still in the miltary while the rules and how you go about may have change the priciples are still the same.
Clear the mind and Keep it simple.
It has been tried and Provern for over 1000 years.

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Na. Still in contact with a lot still in the miltary while the rules and how you go about may have change the priciples are still the same.
Clear the mind and Keep it simple.
It has been tried and Provern for over 1000 years.
I probably wouldn't compare teenagers entering AFL club with the army.

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
I probably wouldn't compare teenagers entering AFL club with the army.
Why would you think that, the basic displines are required in Both, the pinciples in teaching and learning are the same Principles in operating in a team enviourment is the same.
Even Unis use the displines and principle develpoped by various miltary around the World in last couple 1000 years.
And in using the word disipline I don't mean Punishment.

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Why would you think that, the basic displines are required in Both, the pinciples in teaching and learning are the same Principles in operating in a team enviourment is the same.
Even Unis use the displines and principle develpoped by various miltary around the World in last couple 1000 years.
And in using the word disipline I don't mean Punishment.
Because these teenagers has more option to go to other clubs compared to the army.

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Because these teenagers has more option to go to other clubs compared to the army.
Again No in the Miltary today when your time up you can leave, at anytime you can request a transfer to another area/field.
Break it down to it core and its the same, clear the minds train the Body and work as a team.

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Again No in the Miltary today when your time up you can leave, at anytime you can request a transfer to another area/field.
Break it down to it core and its the same, clear the minds train the Body and work as a team.
I thought if you are know as a "sook" or smart-arse who doesn't follow order this would filter throughout the army and you won't be seen as a good employee. Whereas, in a club, they will just say that's normal generation Z behaviour and you would get a chance at another club.

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
I thought if you are know as a "sook" or smart-arse who doesn't follow order this would filter throughout the army and you won't be seen as a good employee. Whereas, in a club, they will just say that's normal generation Z behaviour and you would get a chance at another club.
What that got to do with the conversations, that not a generational issue that just started to happen,
And By the way some miltary sooks go onto become Lieutenant colonels, a few Smart Arses I know go one to become polititions and turn on there Party.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
I mean, they weren't genius out of the box moves or anything, maybe i'm just easily impressed that we now have a coach who seems to scout the opposition a bit and is willing to make moves on gameday to counter an opposition.
I.e. coaching

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
What that got to do with the conversations, that not a generational issue that just started to happen,
And By the way some miltary sooks go onto become Lieutenant colonels, a few Smart Arses I know go one to become polititions and turn on there Party.
From Eade's comment about how to handle the younger players these days, he said it was definitely more challenging alluding to this generation that grew up with social media. You brought the army into the conversation.

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
From Eade's comment about how to handle the younger players these days, he said it was definitely more challenging alluding to this generation that grew up with social media. You brought the army into the conversation.
All I mention was the Princples were the same, and it not a generational issue.
Its an age related issue kids are smart arses and have been since dot,
today generation are no differance to years go by. re training.
Maybe if Eade adopted a More simplified approach things would have been differant, He did have one of the most complicated game plans after all.
Want to know why Clackson is reagarded as a good Coach, he keeps it's simple and he gets the by in form all players.

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
All I mention was the Princples were the same, and it not a generational issue.
Its an age related issue kids are smart arses and have been since dot,
today generation are no differance to years go by. re training.
Maybe if Eade adopted a More simplified approach things would have been differant, He did have one of the most complicated game plans after all.
Want to know why Clackson is reagarded as a good Coach, he keeps it's simple and he gets the by in form all players.
He said it around how he had to change the way he communicated to the young players and manage them these days and not around their professionalism. There is no doubt the current generation will always think they know more about previous one but this generation has been more so due to social media with the constant and instant validation they receive from them. Clarkson has earned the respect of the AFL industry and the Hawks has been trading in experience players into their list than going to the draft, it will be interesting if they now go back to the draft and what happen then.

119others

The Crows are coming
Apr 19, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Perfect coach at the most fractured time in club history. Bringing the team together and healing old wounds is what he has seemingly done. Senior players talking about pre-season training being 'heavenly' from a cultural perspective was an early sign of this.

Clearly with a major CV impacted year, the ability to change game plan (with limited training numbers) whilst introducing a record amt of young players (since our earliest years anyway) was clearly going to be a challenge and showed often in the first 3 months of games. The last 3 weeks is showing some real progress both from a squad and a coach who has developed game plans weekly to counter oppositions strengths. GWS already saying his leaving having a major adverse impact.

Keeping mood upright and positive in our longest ever losing streak is a major tick for his (and on field leaders) character and culture build. Presentations to the Board in that first few mths were by all accounts absolutely first class and never lost sight of the big picture. Compared that to Kangas coach who literally said he 'had no idea' where to go contrasts very poorly to Nicks constant reiterations of required values and long terms aspirations.

Nicks is clearly a fantastic people person (loved him joining players for the Gatorade shower), is clearly academically bright (not just because he is stockbroker :) ) and showing game day nous along with positive cultural change.

Lets hope we finish the last 2 weeks strongly. Nicks ultimate ability to get young interstate (esp Mlb Metro) lads to recommit will be a test over coming months and his ultimate ability as a coach wont be ultimately tested for another couple of years when we have a top 8 talent squad again.

But at this point, recent trends are very positive and would be great to go out with a bang the last 2 games. Keep it up Nicksy.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
I really enjoyed reading Ad Victorium's perspective then. Good stuff.

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Your "opinion" is trash, and using random "quotation" marks doesn't make it less trash.

Breaking news: the densest members of the most spoiled generation in history that enjoyed the remarkable benefits of the social democratic state before ripping it away from those that followed think that every generation that followed them is soft and coddled.
See it's when and not if.......

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane

I don't always agree with you, but when you're right you are RIGHT.

Nothing is worse than Boomers whinging about Millennials, considering that Boomers were gifted their success and have stripped away so much of the wealth and social safety nets that they were so lucky to be provided with.

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
I don't always agree with you, but when you're right you are RIGHT.

Nothing is worse than Boomers whinging about Millennials, considering that Boomers were gifted their success and have stripped away so much of the wealth and social safety nets that they were so lucky to be provided with.
No realy Boomers were not gifted their sucess, when you look closer they were the group affected by compulsory national service, They were the Group that was most affected By the intrest rates Highs of the 80's they also went thru a Couple of economic crises.
But Like every other generation they still had to earn there Money.
No Free rides there.

This Boomer vs everyone is a Poor aguement same as poeple mentioning the latest generation is a Problem,
Everything I have seen is there is not differance, Kid are Kids, Adult are Adults and have acted the same way for the last 50 odd years,
Trust me there No Generational requirments for Dificult Poeple and every generation has there Problem childs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back