Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide's rebuild?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Smithers mentioned on his podcast Nicks was mad at them for being so friendly with Betts prior to the game starting.

I'd love to know what he thought about Gibbs putting on Carlton colors at the end of the game then.

treeman

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
That's exactly the type of coach I was hoping he would be. Hopefully he get's his desired offseaon recruits (Fitness and Performance / Mid and Fwd coach!).

Really looking forward to 2021.

Agreed. Reminds me of Phil Walsh in his first press conference being asked about Adelaide and he said something along the lines of, 'Their the enemy now.'

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Boomers benefited from huge social programs bought in by their parents and have spent most of their lives stripping those benefits away from their children.

No free rides? how much did they pay for university again? how many years at the median wage did it take for them to buy a house? what was minimum wage when adjusted for inflation?
Again like a few, you assume that everyone went to Uni back then, only a small pacentage went to UNI, far less that today. If you going to bring up UNI's maybe you should also bring up conscription and Vietnam, and then tell me why you think Veitnam Vets recieved a free ride,
Also Last time I look it was very rare to find 2 income families,

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Again like a few, you assume that everyone went to Uni back then, only a small pacentage went to UNI, far less that today. If you going to bring up UNI's maybe you should also bring up conscription and Vietnam, and then tell me why you think Veitnam Vets recieved a free ride,
Also Last time I look it was very rare to find 2 income families,

you know why so few went to uni? they didn't have to. They could walk into a well paying job right out of high school. You think most people want to go to uni? No, but they know the only way to try and build something for themselves is go to uni or get a trade; the vast majority that don't do either of those things will struggle to make a good income.

No dual income families? doesn't matter, that out of highschool job paid as much as two average income jobs do now when adjusted for cost of living.

Also it wasn't Vietnam vets that got free uni, it was everyone. Furthermore 1)it was a very small percentage who was drafted 2)yes the draft and the war are morally abhorrent, but that doesn't justify spending the rest of this life pillaging our nations future.

ffs we could have had a sovereign wealth fund the envy of the world, absolutely first class healthcare, free university and whatever else we desired if we'd let our mineral wealth be nationally owned the way Norway did with its oil, instead we sold it off so the baby boomers could make a quick buck.

Last edited:

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
you know why so few went to uni? they didn't have to. They could walk into a well paying job right out of high school.

No dual income families? doesn't matter, that out of highschool job paid as much as a two income job does now when adjusted for cost of living.

Also it wasn't Vietnam vets that got free uni, it was everyone.
Could they, when Conscription finished didn't unemeployement reach 6% in Australia,
You should also check your cost of Living reasoning as well. Data does not support your arguement.

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Could they, when Conscription finished didn't unemeployement reach 6% in Australia,
You should also check your cost of Living reasoning as well. Data does not support your arguement.

6% that's it? We hit that during the GFC (Boomer created mess). That doesn't factor in that the 'unemployment' figure doesn't factor in underemployed people (thanks to Boomers casualization of the workforce), which means the reality on the ground was actually worse than it was back then.

Shall we talk about how unemployment benefits were also more generous back then when adjusted for inflation? How about the fact they weren't as demeaning and dehumanization as our current unemployment system is designed to be (thanks to Howard who is, you guessed it, a boomer)

May 7, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
This boomer rubbish is nothing more than jealousy. Their rich, why am I poor.
They certainly werent rich straight out of school and in their 20's or even 30's. It takes time.
There's also hatred because most of the bosses are boomers. Guess what, they worked their way up over time. Millennial's just dont like being told what to do and its the boomers giving the orders. Hence the hatred.
Grow up FFS.

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
6% that's it? We hit that during the GFC (Boomer created mess). That doesn't factor in that the 'unemployment' figure doesn't factor in underemployed people (thanks to Boomers casualization of the workforce), which means the reality on the ground was actually worse than it was back then.

Shall we talk about how unemployment benefits were also more generous back then when adjusted for inflation? How about the fact they weren't as demeaning and dehumanization as our current unemployment system is designed to be (thanks to Howard who is, you guessed it, a boomer)
Yes tell how good the unemployement was back then,

By the way while you looking at the Unemplyment stats why don't you look at the cost of Living,
Because it does get annoying when all you bring up is House Prices vs wage which back then was a good deal, and Uni in which only the select few took advantage, Why don't you bring up what it cost to feed a family, the Cost of entertianment like TV's, Cost of Cars vs annual wages, Back then the Only poeple who could take advantage of the cheaper Houses where the select few who had money considering the required deposit was close to 1/2 a years wage,

And I will keep on saying no geraeration recieved a free ride, They all had problems but more importantly they all had groups getting a free ride,
So let talk about the majority for once and not the priverlage minority. and be relistics,

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yes tell how good the unemployement was back then,

By the way while you looking at the Unemplyment stats why don't you look at the cost of Living,
Because it does get annoying when all you bring up is House Prices vs wage which back then was a good deal, and Uni in which only the select few took advantage, Why don't you bring up what it cost to feed a family, the Cost of entertianment like TV's, Cost of Cars vs annual wages, Back then the Only poeple who could take advantage of the cheaper Houses where the select few who had money considering the required deposit was close to 1/2 a years wage,

And I will keep on saying no geraeration recieved a free ride, They all had problems but more importantly they all had groups getting a free ride,
So let talk about the majority for once and not the priverlage minority. and be relistics,

Alright fair, you can take my ability to own a TV away and give me back free uni. Ok boomer?

Also you realize that a 20% deposit is still generally required? Except that is more than just 1/2 a years wage. The Average Australian under 34 makes just under 60k a year. So factor in tax and you're looking at 40k take home a year, or 20k for 6 months.

You go find me a house that isn't in the middle of ******* no-where or absolutely destroyed for 100k a year.

You are so out of touch it's utterly unbelievable.

Do you know how much I WISH it was only half a years pay for me to get a deposit for a house? Do you know how unbelievably envious I am of that?

I make over the average for my age bracket and I could put aside literally every single cent I earn for a year, magically living with no food or roof over my head, and I STILL couldn't pay a deposit for a house within two hours of my place of employment.

Last edited:

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Alright fair, you can take my ability to own a TV away and give me back free uni. Ok boomer?
Would have thought providing for your family would be your first priority.
But Again you asume everyone went to Uni, I was the first and only member of my family to ever go to uni, but it did come at a cost. and I did hope that no gerneration following had to pay the same cost, unfortantly that has not always happen,
But again did you know that 6900 Australians were Conscripted every year, from 64 to 72. Can you tell me how many Uni students were selected every year.

May 4, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide

Also you realize that a 20% deposit is still generally required? Except that is more than just 1/2 a years wage. The Average Australian under 34 makes just under 60k a year. So factor in tax and you're looking at 40k take home a year, or 20k for 6 months.

You go find me a house that isn't in the middle of ******* no-where or absolutely destroyed for 100k a year.

You are so out of touch it's utterly unbelievable.

Do you know how much I WISH it was only half a years pay for me to get a deposit for a house? Do you know how unbelievably envious I am of that?

I make over the average for my age bracket and I could put aside literally every single cent I earn for a year, magically living with no food or roof over my head, and I STILL couldn't pay a deposit for a house within two hours of my place of employment.
This issue is exacerbated in the larger cities (Melb/Syd/Bris). You can still afford something decent in Adelaide, but people have started feeling the pinch in the last 10 years.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Smithers mentioned on his podcast Nicks was mad at them for being so friendly with Betts prior to the game starting.
Interesting that he'd be so ruthless about that and so caring/compassionate about Gibbs.

Not that they're the exact same situations but the sentiment is.

119others

The Crows are coming
Apr 19, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
They certainly werent rich straight out of school and in their 20's or even 30's. It takes time.
There's also hatred because most of the bosses are boomers. Guess what, they worked their way up over time. Millennial's just dont like being told what to do and its the boomers giving the orders. Hence the hatred.
Grow up FFS.
Hi Doc

What generation are you mate?
Deaneus, can you strip all of this Boomer conspiracy-theory crap from this thread and put it in the newly-created thread, please!
While you are at it, you could also ban Vhaluus for ageist vilification, which is surely politically incorrect. :mad:
mate just because you are clearly on the losing side here you dont need to try and run and hide :)

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
I think that strategy stuff has been a bit more evident from Nicks over the last month. Feels like we've started getting the basics of his gameplan down and he's started to introduce a bit more in playing to our opposition, rather than the Pyke mindset of just "play how we want to play" regardless or the matchups.
A month ago we were bereft of a game plan.

Since the Geelong game there is actual structure. Of both ball movement and more importantly defensive set ups.

For 13 games the other teams walked the ball out of attacking 50 with ease. With countless Coast to Coast shots on goal.

Not so much since the Geelong game.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Grow up FFS.
Ok boomer

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Deaneus, can you strip all of this Boomer conspiracy-theory crap from this thread and put it in the newly-created thread, please!
While you are at it, you could also ban Vhaluus for ageist vilification, which is surely politically incorrect. :mad:
This is most sensible stuff Vhaluus has every posted.

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
A month ago we were bereft of a game plan.

Since the Geelong game there is actual structure. Of both ball movement and more importantly defensive set ups.

For 13 games the other teams walked the ball out of attacking 50 with ease. With countless Coast to Coast shots on goal.

Not so much since the Geelong game.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
I think you saw it in patches, as far back as the St Kilda game, but it would just fall apart when someone wasn't doing their role.

You really saw his frustration in the North Melbourne game, with senior players in the side, and such enormous * ups that he had to instruct by using water bottles on the changeroom floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back