Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide's rebuild?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
A month ago we were bereft of a game plan.

Since the Geelong game there is actual structure. Of both ball movement and more importantly defensive set ups.

For 13 games the other teams walked the ball out of attacking 50 with ease. With countless Coast to Coast shots on goal.

Not so much since the Geelong game.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
One thing I liked against Carlton, was just about every time we manned a mark on the wing, they moved about 3m inboard to create an illusion of forcing them down the line, or cutting off the inside option.

Regardless of whether it works, it was obvious that it was a plan and everyone was actually doing it.

That is a new development.

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Would have thought providing for your family would be your first priority.
But Again you asume everyone went to Uni, I was the first and only member of my family to ever go to uni, but it did come at a cost. and I did hope that no gerneration following had to pay the same cost, unfortantly that has not always happen,
But again did you know that 6900 Australians were Conscripted every year, from 64 to 72. Can you tell me how many Uni students were selected every year.

You think I can afford to start a family? You think I can take on that financial responsibility when most worker protections are stripped away and unions have been gutted leaving me at the mercy of my employer?

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
A month ago we were bereft of a game plan.

Since the Geelong game there is actual structure. Of both ball movement and more importantly defensive set ups.

For 13 games the other teams walked the ball out of attacking 50 with ease. With countless Coast to Coast shots on goal.

Not so much since the Geelong game.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
They mentioned On The Couch that Sloane had gone to Nicks and told him he needed to simplify his messaging because it wasn't getting through to the players. Think this might have also been what Nicks meant when he was asked why Matt Crouch had improved and mentioned they had changed their messaging to him to help him understand what they wanted.

Reminded me of the North game where he was using the bottles at half time to show what he wanted because they obviously didn't get it.

Think they're all good signs though. That Sloane felt he could do that, that Nicks took it onboard and accepted it as his issue and was then able to modify it so players could get it and we started getting results after.

spexau

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
They mentioned On The Couch that Sloane had gone to Nicks and told him he needed to simplify his messaging because it wasn't getting through to the players. Think this might have also been what Nicks meant when he was asked why Matt Crouch had improved and mentioned they had changed their messaging to him to help him understand what they wanted.

Reminded me of the North game where he was using the bottles at half time to show what he wanted because they obviously didn't get it.

Think they're all good signs though. That Sloane felt he could do that, that Nicks took it onboard and accepted it as his issue and was then able to modify it so players could get it and we started getting results after.
Sloaney has been marshalling and controlling positioning on the field these past few weeks.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox

Bill Bellicheck (NFL) has a coaching mantra that a player can only remember 3 instructions at a time and to give them anymore is overload

Your training is based on drills that enforce muscle memory ie being in the right place at the right time - having set plays for time on clock etc

Then you overlay that with the days instructions - being the 3 things that are most important for that day

It does seem to have changed the last month or so - has that coincided with opening up training restrictions?

Jan 6, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Bill Bellicheck (NFL) has a coaching mantra that a player can only remember 3 instructions at a time and to give them anymore is overload

Your training is based on drills that enforce muscle memory ie being in the right place at the right time - having set plays for time on clock etc

Then you overlay that with the days instructions - being the 3 things that are most important for that day

It does seem to have changed the last month or so - has that coincided with opening up training restrictions?
Possibly. I think it was harder to train much at all earlier when there was that series of games with short turn arounds as well

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
When he restricts himself to football, he is more tolerable. ;)

When he restricts himself FROM discussing football, he's more tolerable

You're both so very close to a self realization moment.

Let me help you: maybe it's not me that you dislike, but the fact I have the gall to disagree with you?

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide

There's actually a fair bit of evidence to back that up when you look at the literature in recent years on how we learn and retain information.

Possibly. I think it was harder to train much at all earlier when there was that series of games with short turn arounds as well
I think it must have been tough having to train a new system in small groups. Really hard to get the whole team approach in that regard. Glad that Sloane spoke to Nicks. Glad that Nicks listened and made adjustments. And just look at us now! Augers well.

ltdamn

Premiership Player
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg, Seahawks, Mariners, Celtic
Nicks has done an amazing job in a COVID impacted season, with the worst fitness team in the world, to actually change our gameplan to something semi-dangerous, and bring on some development within the younger brigade like Himmelberg, Schoenberg, all the Bergs really.

He hasn't wavered from his plan, in fact he's clearly simplified things and given the team some enjoyment and freedom in the last month or two. I'm sure he was tempted to put 17 men behind the ball and protect the scoreboard in some games, but he stuck to his guns and his style, and it paid off in the end.

Hopefully the team get him 3 picks in the top 10 so we can bring in 3 more young talents who will buy into the group and his plan, and we can have some sustained success in 3-4 years time.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
My attitude on Nick's has completely changed from earlier in the year. He is going to be a very good coach. We got lucky with him. Just need to get him some help and a decent fitness guy.

Dc9798

Club Legend
Dec 25, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Juventus FC
A season in and have confidence in our direction. Nicks now has the players onboard and the club now has the responsibility to nail the the right people around him to complement him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

douglyzia

Premiership Player
Sep 24, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide

Sounds like the right man for the job if that is the case!

I've said it before. There's something about Nicks. I just don't know if any other coach would have been able to handle our season from hell (at least at the start of 2020) as well as he has.

Edit: Actually, if he was really that ruthless (i.e. an a-hole), he wouldn't even have allowed Gibbs to play his final game. So I don't know how accurate the description of him being "ruthless" is.

Last edited:

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Liked his presser, made no excuses. Yesterday was all about learning from the best. We hung tough with them for a while but didn't have enough for them.

Selections were off this week though and that's a concern.

Jinglebells32

All Australian
Jul 2, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Woodville West Torrens, Flinders Pk
Again like a few, you assume that everyone went to Uni back then, only a small pacentage went to UNI, far less that today. If you going to bring up UNI's maybe you should also bring up conscription and Vietnam, and then tell me why you think Veitnam Vets recieved a free ride,
Also Last time I look it was very rare to find 2 income families,
I agree with you about conscription until Gough scrapped it, but household expenses and rent/ mortgage payments only required 1 income generally then. Families absolutely require 2 full time incomes now to make ends meet.

May 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
WWTFC,Chelsea,Glasgow Celtic,Lech Poznan
Changed my opinion from early in the season. He will be the key to turning around our fortunes quickly. I predict we'll push for top 8 next year.
My negative was yesterday as it was an opportunity to farewell Tex and Mackay. If they are playing on what a waste not to give a couple of kids a taste of AFL against one of the better teams.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
My negative was yesterday as it was an opportunity to farewell Tex and Mackay. If they are playing on what a waste not to give a couple of kids a taste of AFL against one of the better teams.
Yesterday was about Talia.

Oct 20, 2007
Perf
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
New York Jets, Toronto Raptors
I’d give him a pass for the season, just. Seems to have unified the team. Showed the game plan that he wants to instill in the last 5-6 weeks which was pleasing and seems like a game plan that may stand up in finals. Still some baffling selection decisions though. Pumping games into Hartigan, Mackay, Kelly. The North Melbourne game was a disaster off the back of selections. The Richmond game seems a missed opportunity to have given some youngsters a more prominent role. Hopefully an off season clean out is coming and with restrictions easing we can bed down our game plan going forward. C+

beartoo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 27, 2004
Moana Heights Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide

Yeah, I agree with that. Neither of those two would have been in my 2020 side at all. Don't think it's entirely in Nicks' remit.
Hard to tell a legend like Tex that time is up. Other more ruthless clubs would have tapped him on the shoulder a couple of years ago. As for David, he will forever be the greatest puzzle at AFC. Willing, hard worker, gave all he had to give, courageous....and not AFL standard.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yeah, I agree with that. Neither of those two would have been in my 2020 side at all. Don't think it's entirely in Nicks' remit.
Hard to tell a legend like Tex that time is up. Other more ruthless clubs would have tapped him on the shoulder a couple of years ago. As for David, he will forever be the greatest puzzle at AFC. Willing, hard worker, gave all he had to give, courageous....and not AFL standard.
I wouldn't put selections totally on Nick's. I feel Fagan and Roo still have a fair say down there and they wouldn't have wanted a blowout as it may have influenced membership. I agree that yesterday should be the last game for certain players such as Mackay, Walker. I also feel the game has pretty much passed Lynch by and would trade him. Smith and BCrouch are the others I would be trading along with Atkins. I hope they also move on Kelly who can take a saving mark but has no offence to his game. Hartigan may be given another year but will likely get 2 from another club. I wouldn't offer it to him. Doedee will be back and Worrell/McAsey should be able to cover Hartigan. I hope with a big preseason Doedee's body can stand up the whole year. If Hartigan goes they may trade or draft another key back as insurance. I hope with a good cleanout of the deadwood and a great trade and draft we will see a totally different team on the park next year.

Ramses Red

Team Captain
Sep 29, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
My one eyed, rose coloured glasses take:

- inherited a broken playing group in a highly challenging season
- gave everyone (almost) a chance to buy into "team first" and prove themselves
- ability aside, feels like we now have core group with a fresh mindset
- gave the kids a good run to build confidence
- game plan emerging

Hopefully he can get some good people around him next year. A normal preseason and a slew of high picks will help his cause

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
My one eyed, rose coloured glasses take:

- inherited a broken playing group in a highly challenging season
- gave everyone (almost) a chance to buy into "team first" and prove themselves
- ability aside, feels like we now have core group with a fresh mindset
- gave the kids a good run to build confidence
- game plan emerging

Hopefully he can get some good people around him next year. A normal preseason and a slew of high picks will help his cause
That sounds like a pretty reasonable perspective, but maybe I'm one eyed too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back