Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide's rebuild?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My one eyed, rose coloured glasses take:

- inherited a broken playing group in a highly challenging season
- gave everyone (almost) a chance to buy into "team first" and prove themselves
- ability aside, feels like we now have core group with a fresh mindset
- gave the kids a good run to build confidence
- game plan emerging

Hopefully he can get some good people around him next year. A normal preseason and a slew of high picks will help his cause
Sort of agree. The pre season was poor. Game plan was non existent. He hoped the failed senior players would have got him through. The inclusion of the kids helped immensely but I feel there is a magnet pulling on him to keep some of the seniors. In would like to know how we changed the game plan, was it just Nicks?

Sort of agree. The pre season was poor. Game plan was non existent. He hoped the failed senior players would have got him through. The inclusion of the kids helped immensely but I feel there is a magnet pulling on him to keep some of the seniors. In would like to know how we changed the game plan, was it just Nicks?
This off-season we'll see where we sit with the seniors. Will be a big show of where we are truly going. And hopefully some of those magnets are gone too.

Game plan wise I feel in part the kids enabled changes. Glimpses of line breaking, run, contested marking and direct attack couldn't happen with the seniors.

Four weeks ago I thought Nicks was a dud.

No distinct ball method and sloppy defensive structures.

Since Geeling game things changed. Even last night there was more structured and method to yhe way we pkayed. Just lacked polish against a genuine flag contender

I wanted Yze, still wish we got him. But nit unhappy with Nicks now.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Four weeks ago I thought Nicks was a dud.

No distinct ball method and sloppy defensive structures.

Since Geeling game things changed. Even last night there was more structured and method to yhe way we pkayed. Just lacked polish against a genuine flag contender

I wanted Yze, still wish we got him. But nit unhappy with Nicks now.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Yeah we may have been well beaten last night but you can at least see there was structure and effort. Just a lot of things we need to improve across the ground and personnel changes over the next couple years are a big part of it. I know Nicks references the wins off field a lot and while some of it is also just probably trying to stay positive I think you can see with the playing group they look a bit happier so there's likely some truth to it which is ultimately very important in the long run.

Now to see what changes come in the offseason and where things are really at next year after.

I suppose that could have been a lot worse of a season for Nicks. Coming in late to a truly broken club after the players mutinied against the Pyke/Burton regime and a side being understaffed before COVID would have made Nicks job the toughest in football. A job that only amplifies by COVID and our under-sized operation being even more under-sized. After the North game, that job looked a step too far from Nicks.

Still the last six games have certainly been promising. It seems like Nicks stopped the bleeding and has managed to introduce some semblance of structure and game plan to our play (and it looks like a style that'll hold up to the rigours of finals). It also is beginning to look like our players actually like being teammates with one another instead of being 22 strangers on a football field which the last 2 and a 1/2 years certainly had that vibe.

I'll probably give a C- for Nicks this year. Probably helps I came into this season expecting to be in the bottom 4.

Wanted to record my expectations for the coming season in regards to our coach.

I like what I see, I like what I am hearing, I like what he is doing.

His system looks very good, his game day looks more than solid, his ball movement techniques are up there.

Expect to see players that have struggled a little in recent years start to blossom - looking to see the new crop come in and take up the system quickly.

I am completely on board, can see Matt dragging this club back to a place where it has respect from it's peers.

Genuine question and he comes across as the nicest bloke but will Nicks see out his contract?

Easily, and I'd be somewhat surprised if he didn't end up with a contract extension for 1-2 years during 2023.

With how we've managed our list, we know where we are at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Acknowledging a poor list, a good opponent and pre season this is poor. Something is not clicking, I don't think at the moment the players think Nick's is up to it. That can change but he needs to start getting some belief.

I haven't seen any improvement or sign we are heading in the right direction.

Last edited:
Legit question if finish bottom again and Clarkson has left Hawthorn (which could be a distinct possibility) would we turf Nicks for a “Blightesque” play at Clarko

Legit question if finish bottom again and Clarkson has left Hawthorn (which could be a distinct possibility) would we turf Nicks for a “Blightesque” play at Clarko

We wouldn't.

We're not in a position to even consider that move, and Clarkson would be a poor fit seeing he hasn't had the appetite for undergoing another rebuild at Hawthorn (and thus delaying the inevitable for the last couple of years).

We wouldn't.

We're not in a position to even consider that move, and Clarkson would be a poor fit seeing he hasn't had the appetite for undergoing another rebuild at Hawthorn (and thus delaying the inevitable for the last couple of years).
Another rebuild at Hawthorn

However a new environment could be a different story to recharge him

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Another rebuild at Hawthorn

However a new environment could be a different story to recharge him

Hawthorn are one of, if not the best run club in the league. Also, Clarkson has a lot of clout there (he does everywhere, but especially there).

If Clarko doesn't have the appetite there in what would be an ideal situation, why would he come to a worse run club like us (as much as we've made improvements in this regard)?

If he's going anywhere, it's to win today. Not in 5-8 years down the track.

He needs to shift his focus from creating relationships and connections to game plan and player development

You make a decision on the field when under the hammer quicker with relationships and connections. The person without the ball moves better to a spot knowing you. You make a quicker decision with more time to execute. This game is so fast now.
The game plan evolves and gets better through better relationships and connections.

He needs to shift his focus from creating relationships and connections to game plan and player development

I'm hoping now that we have some experienced assistants they can start carrying that load more.

Port are the same. Tactically Hinkley isn't a world beater, but he gets the players to buy into what they're doing. It's why they've struggled when certain coaches like Walsh and Richardson left and were replaced by the likes of Voss. Now they got some more smarts back in like Bassett and Schofield in.

I'm hoping now that we have some experienced assistants they can start carrying that load more.

Port are the same. Tactically Hinkley isn't a world beater, but he gets the players to buy into what they're doing. It's why they've struggled when certain coaches like Walsh and Richardson left and were replaced by the likes of Voss. Now they got some more smarts back in like Bassett and Schofield in.
Don’t forget Cripps. Top notch

Acknowledging a poor list, a good opponent and pre season this is poor. Something is not clicking, I don't think at the moment the players think Nick's is up to it. That can change but he needs to start getting some belief.

I haven't seen any improvement or sign we are heading in the right direction.

That's ridiculous. I think the players should be trying to improve their own games and teamwork.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back