Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide's rebuild?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what coach didn't value defense previously? Any guesses? Any prior midfield coaches we had that didn't value defense? Perhaps one we sacked? Perhaps one that had been around for a long time? Perhaps one that was very experienced but not sought after by a single other team in the entire AFL despite his credentials?

It's very difficult to guess who that would be. Not sure you could possibly figure it out

Was he an assistant coach of a Melbourne based team that had a reputation as the most one way midfield to ever grace the game. Was the senior coach perhaps an ex Richmond player that got into a scrap with Libba?

Clarkson will be available soon. Of course we will stick by another buzz word, boys club flogger. Go the Crows.

Now that's some seriously undeserved arrogance.

We can always try, but we offer nothing to Clarko in our current state. After all, if he was interested in a rebuild, he'd stay at Hawthorn.

So how does Nicks’ plea for patience at Adelaide resonate with Blight?

“(Long pause) … Mmmmm,” answered Blight. “Which box am I to be patient with? The team or the coach?”

Blight, an attacking-minded coach, remains critical of Nicks’ coaching mantra that emphasises defence.

“Okay, he (Nicks) is still pretty new, he had a terrible start and he won some games at the end but they did not beat much,” Blight said. “And we know last year was difficult with COVID, a stop-start season and hubs.

“Now, we have had rule changes to the game that encourage you to go quick… and Nicks still talks defence all the time.”

Asked where he sees Adelaide “going” after hitting rock bottom last season, Blight told InDaily: “Nowhere.”

Tough one.

Scoring more is pretty fun to watch however while we're s**t, maybe it's worth nailing some of the fundamentals so when we eventually start to climb, it's really ingrained in the team. Obviously you can go too far this way as we saw Craig with Tex early on but I'm not against it as we've been a team that's too easy to run through for quite a while now.

Tough one.

Scoring more is pretty fun to watch however while we're sh*t, maybe it's worth nailing some of the fundamentals so when we eventually start to climb, it's really ingrained in the team. Obviously you can go too far this way as we saw Craig with Tex early on but I'm not against it as we've been a team that's too easy to run through for quite a while now.

That won't change if we continue to allow unpressured exit from our forward 50. It puts everyone else under the pump. It's like our coaches think the different areas of the ground all operate independently of each other.

You have got to hand it to Nicks, he has done a fantastic job this year.
I'm sure new assistance's has helped big time.
The game was in the balance today and it was exciting to see the young guys, drag us over the line and get the win.
There has been plenty of times in the past against Norf we have folded.
Congrats to Capt. Doedee today, did an incredible job.
Who would have thought ?

Ready to make the call that Nicks will go ok

Building some good things and has things in place where he can only improve

Will be extended by round 17

You would think he would get an extension with the improvement we've seen this year, if it continues.
Whats been exciting this year is the speed we have tried to more the ball forward from defense this year.
It's giving the forwards a chance to run into space

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will be extended by round 17

Why though?

I like Nicks, but more often than not when a team extends a coach early it comes back to bite them.

What we can say is that for whatever reason the coaching setup is going nicely at the moment. Whether that’s Nicks, the fact he has a proper assistant team or both (I say both), it doesn’t matter

a good promising start, let’s see how it plays out over the coming months before we get too carried away though

A great start.
I, along with a lot of supporters are surprised by our form this year.
It's been a drastic improvement.
Who would of thought getting some good assistance's would help give our players more confidence in the message they were receiving.
We look fitter this year, it will be interesting how we run the season out.

He's ticking a lot of boxes for me so far.

At the moment, the offence is humming along with us scoring the third-most points in the league for the 1st month. Defensively we're pretty vulnerable with a bottom four defence, but considering a pretty meh midfield and a young defence without its stalwart in Talia, I'll take that in a period where we've had a top 4 offence.

Players don't seem to be stalling at the moment either in this development. Sholl had his first 30 disposal game and has been putting together a good season so far. Schoenberg had a pretty bright start. Hamill has played his first genuinely good game, McHenry is producing at a good click for a general forward, Butts looks like a good key back down the road etc.

Another thing I'm really liking is we look like we're starting to build a really tough midfield. Laird, Keays, Sloane are all in the top 50 for pressure, and in the next gen we've got Berry, and Schoenberg already showing they're very capable in defence. It's a big tick for me, considering how one-way Adelaide has been in the past.

It's a bright start for 2021. I'm keen to see it continue.

Last edited:
What we can say is that for whatever reason the coaching setup is going nicely at the moment. Whether that’s Nicks, the fact he has a proper assistant team or both (I say both), it doesn’t matter

a good promising start, let’s see how it plays out over the coming months before we get too carried away though

Good assistants is a help, but the biggest "help" for Nicks was our list management culling so much dead wood, he has no choice but to play the youngsters.

However he is still selecting every available player over the age of 23 (Strachan the exemption).

I'm still not convinced after last season where the senior players didn't buy into him at all which is very unusual when a new coach is appointed, there is always a surge.

His continual selection of Frampton is baffling and another mark against Nicks.

But I'm loving the endeavour the team is showing, he has got them on the same page which is great. Been quite a few years where this hasn't been the case.

Good assistants is a help, but the biggest "help" for Nicks was our list management culling so much dead wood, he has no choice but to play the youngsters.

However he is still selecting every available player over the age of 23 (Strachan the exemption).

I'm still not convinced after last season where the senior players didn't buy into him at all which is very unusual when a new coach is appointed, there is always a surge.

But I'm loving the endeavour the team is showing, he has got them on the same page which is great. Been quite a few years where this hasn't been the case.
Selection of Frampton isn't baffling really. We've decided not to play RT yet, and I suspect we want to keep out of the ruck as much as we can early doors..... And Himmelberg has been trash thus far.

And what's so bad about playing all the over 23s ?? Kelly probably on the edge, the aforementioned Frampton as well but the rest have deserved their spots. We can't just play 18 kids every week, it'll turn into a disaster quickly enough.

As for the senior players not buying in last year, that's somewhat fair but it's also a lot to do with the fact they knew they were gonna have to earn their stripes unlike previous seasons. The fact they all seem to have done so this season is a credit to Nicks and the new group IMO

Yeah, it really can't be understated how much we needed to keep culling our experienced group. A group that downed tools to get the last coach (and GM/senior assistant) moved on (as justified as it was), having to be in hubs, and struggling to make peace with the fact they're not winning a premiership in their career if they stay could have easily been a death spiral for a coach.

We really pushed ourselves to the point the only way forward was to effectively burn it down, and start again with a very young squad. Nicks ended up navigating that period pretty well and seems to have a lot of buy-in at the moment, even from the few senior players left, noting even the players we're all expecting get replaced are playing out of their skin at the moment (Kelly, Seedsman, Murphy in particular).

Yeah, it really can't be understated how much we needed to keep culling our experienced group. A group that downed tools to get the last coach (and GM/senior assistant) moved on (as justified as it was), having to be in hubs, and struggling to make peace with the fact they're not winning a premiership in their career if they stay could have easily been a death spiral for a coach.

We really pushed ourselves to the point the only way forward was to effectively burn it down, and start again with a very young squad. Nicks ended up navigating that period pretty well and seems to have a lot of buy-in at the moment, even from the few senior players left, noting even the players we're all expecting get replaced are playing out of their skin at the moment (Kelly, Seedsman, Murphy in particular).

As you say he has buy-in, senior players in form (a few career best), enthusiasm and a sense of enjoyment in the group.

He seems to have brought them all together, something thats been missing for a long time - even before 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back