Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide's rebuild?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
I know it's not a club issue, but this latest incident is a line in the sand tfor me. I want everyone who has been associated with the club since the crajg era moved on. Tex, Sloane, roo, Van Brelo all of them.

We are going nowhere with any of them hanging around.
Van Berlo is the only one that is likely not tarnished. Since Roo came onboard we have become a laughing stock. We need to get him out first along with the others.

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I know it's not a club issue, but this latest incident is a line in the sand tfor me. I want everyone who has been associated with the club since the crajg era moved on. Tex, Sloane, roo, Van Brelo all of them.

As I said in another thread I have always thought the club can't move forward with Tex, Lynch and Sloane on the playing list. They also can't be given coaching role.

We really need a fresh start and I think the players would respond.

Nick's has been there nearly two years, he needs to take some control.

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide

Watcha gonna do when the thought police come for you?

UcantCme

Premiership Player
Mar 3, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
As I said in another thread I have always thought the club can't move forward with Tex, Lynch and Sloane on the playing list. They also can't be given coaching role.

We really need a fresh start and I think the players would respond.

Nick's has been there nearly two years, he needs to take some control.
Nicks has taken control, he cleared the decks with the old footy dept, and installed his new coaches

Removing Roo is not a Coach decision, it's a decision for the Chaorman and the Board

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Nicks has taken control, he cleared the decks with the old footy dept, and installed his new coaches

Removing Roo is not a Coach decision, it's a decision for the Chaorman and the Board

That wasn't helped when Chapman picked a clone of himself. The members should be given an opportunity to vote in a competent board and chairman. That we be a good step in the right direction. Olsen is too weak to remove Roo, it's more likely Roo would remove himself if he honestly looks at how the club has gone since he came onboard.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
That wasn't helped when Chapman picked a clone of himself. The members should be given an opportunity vote in a competent board and chairman. That we be a good step in the right direction.
Olsen is nothing like Chapman, boy you say some strange things.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
After 2018 and 19 our club has gone through some change. Reset and rebuild. Not just on field but off as well.

The two years since has been that. Results almost don't matter.

Not 100% sure Nicks is the coach when contending. But he is the right guy for now.

Watching his presser yesterday and seeing how well he does speak I reckon he is pretty straight down the line and honest with the players.

I just struggle to see a great match day coach who can win consistently.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Olsen is nothing like Chapman, boy you say some strange things.
You would say the opposite of the truth as it's what you do. So you think Chapman is going to pick a replacement that's the opposite of himself do you? A narcissist wants himself to have an influence even when he's not there. I've seen nothing under Olsen that is any different to Chapman. The same problems still exist.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
You would say the opposite of the truth as it's what you do. So you think Chapman is going to pick a replacement that's the opposite of himself do you? A narcissist wants himself to have an influence even when he's not there. I've seen nothing under Olsen that is any different to Chapman. The same problems still exist.
Then you're not paying attention

Which is quite typical of you

UcantCme

Premiership Player
Mar 3, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Your not looking then are you.....

We have obviously started to become a footy first club

No more investments in the Adelaide Giants, more investment in our footy dept

The language form Olsen is very different to Chapman and co....

The Olen, Silver and Nicks took over an absolute basket case of a club, it will take time for their plans to fully materialise

CH Jazz

Team Captain
May 15, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I've seen nothing under Olsen that is any different to Chapman. The same problems still exist.

Fagan sacked
Smart sacked
Baseball divested
E-sports soon to be divested
Football first language / focus reintroduced after 2 decades of caring more about the P&L, what port are doing, membership numbers and playing politics.

A bloody long way from perfect but to suggest Olsen hasn’t made changes is sheer stupidity.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
Fagan sacked
Smart sacked
Baseball divested
Football first language / focus reintroduced after 2 decades of caring more about the P&L, what port are doing, membership numbers and playing politics

A bloody long way from perfect but to suggest Olsen hasn’t made changes is sheer stupidity.

You can add taking ownership of mistakes as well

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Fagan sacked
Smart sacked
Baseball divested
Football first language / focus reintroduced after 2 decades of caring more about the P&L, what port are doing, membership numbers and playing politics.

That's Murray

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Fagan sacked
Smart sacked
Baseball divested

Brought in a CEO who has been in the industry for over 20 years.

Fagan was a good (not great) CEO, but lack of knowledge in the industry meant Chapman could maintain control.

Silvers is his own man. Olsen has no interest in running our club, he selected a CEO to run the club, not just the Finances.

Olsen, being an ex Politician and successfull sports Administration professional is comfortable with delegation.

Chapman is the opposite, a control freak.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NY Yankees, Glenelg Adelaide Giants

Adelaide is preparing for off-season talks with Matthew Nicks on a contract extension, with Crows chairman John Olsen saying he wants to back in the “next-generation coach”.

Nicks’ contract at West Lakes expires at the end of next year, but Olsen told The Advertiser he had been so impressed with his performance that he wanted to explore a new deal.

“From the outset, as I have got to know and observe Matthew Nicks, I have been really impressed as to the quality of the person he is, the focus that he has and the prioritising of others,” Olsen said.

“In my mind, he is a next-generation coach that is bringing that skill set to our playing group at this stage.

“We would be looking in the off-season (at) reviewing forward contracts and the board will discuss that matter, no doubt.

“And that will depend on the negotiations between him and his management.

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood

Adelaide is preparing for off-season talks with Matthew Nicks on a contract extension, with Crows chairman John Olsen saying he wants to back in the “next-generation coach”.

Nicks’ contract at West Lakes expires at the end of next year, but Olsen told The Advertiser he had been so impressed with his performance that he wanted to explore a new deal.

“From the outset, as I have got to know and observe Matthew Nicks, I have been really impressed as to the quality of the person he is, the focus that he has and the prioritising of others,” Olsen said.

“In my mind, he is a next-generation coach that is bringing that skill set to our playing group at this stage.

“We would be looking in the off-season (at) reviewing forward contracts and the board will discuss that matter, no doubt.

I would of thought we wait to see how the season starts but we won't but any extension should only be for a couple of years.

UcantCme

Premiership Player
Mar 3, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
I would of thought we wait to see how the season starts but we won't but any extension should only be for a couple of years.
I can see it from both views

Lets wait to half way to mid season to see the level of progress

Or

Lets give a extension to back him in which is also recognition for what he has to rebuild in the shed, the values, trademark, culture and environment.

An early extension will also take away the additional distraction to a young group

Aug 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Enjoying the whiplash from "Thank goodness the club doesn't gift contract extensions to experienced players anymore!" to "It's fantastic news if the club is extending the contract of the coach a year ahead of schedule... After his only two seasons are the worst two in Adelaide's history."

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams

Why rush into it ?

Jarman3

Premiership Player
Oct 22, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
I've said it before, but I'd happily give him an extra 1 year now since his first year was pretty much a non-starter, coming on so late, being saddled with the old assistant coaches, the COVID sh*tshow, etc.

Any more than 1 year and I'd want to at least get 7 or 8 games into next season to gauge progress first. I don't expect to be sitting on top of the ladder, but I do want to see clear signs of improvement.

Not 100% sure Nicks is the coach when contending. But he is the right guy for now.

Will be interesting if he is or isnt.

To his credit he has pulled off some major upsets already and we have pushed the Power hard in some matches since he took over.

His first true test is getting this team in the 8. I think 2023 will be his judgement year.

Maybe this thread can be reopened in that year. :$

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Season 2022 finishing in the 8 to 12 bracket is a pass.

Realistically 11/12th.

Any lower and hard to argue we have improved.

I reckon that is a realistic KPI.

With Lynch DMac and Kelly gone we have pretty much trimmed the mature player dead weights.

We are a better team with these three out.

Harsh, but only Sloane remains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back