Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide's rebuild?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Season 2022 finishing in the 8 to 12 bracket is a pass.

Realistically 11/12th.

Any lower and hard to argue we have improved.

I reckon that is a realistic KPI.

With Lynch DMac and Kelly gone we have pretty much trimmed the mature player dead weights.

We are a better team with these three out.

Harsh, but only Sloane remains.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Using 2021 as a guide for landing 8 to 12, would see us needing to win about 9-10 games, which is 2 more than we did this year.

While I cant see us beating the Dees next year, we should be beating the Hawks, Pies and one another top 8 team. I think we will have a good shot to win our first showdown in a while, in the 2nd one next year.

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
I think you could at least put the framework of an extension together and then leave it until mid-year to re-evaluate from there. There's nothing to be gained now to re-signing him, other than a PR piece, which probably isn't required at this time.

Nicks definitely has his highly positive attributes. He's got buy in from players, he's convinced a few guys we thought we might lose to stay and convinced players from other clubs to come (made a bit easier by targeting SA born players though), but there's still a bit more to see if he's genuinely capable of taking the team to a premiership from a game day perspective.

DaKids

All Australian
May 18, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think you could at least put the framework of an extension together and then leave it until mid-year to re-evaluate from there. There's nothing to be gained now to re-signing him, other than a PR piece, which probably isn't required at this time.

Nicks definitely has his highly positive attributes. He's got buy in from players, he's convinced a few guys we thought we might lose to stay and convinced players from other clubs to come (made a bit easier by targeting SA born players though), but there's still a bit more to see if he's genuinely capable of taking the team to a premiership from a game day perspective.
Can see from a mile out that the biggest football story next year will be Clarko. Every single coach due to finish up will be in the spotlight. Could be very distracting so that may be motivation.

Aug 21, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't think it's a poor decision at all to discuss an extension over the off-season.
Last year was a dog's breakfast, we can all agree on that.
This year the club was competitive in all bar a few matches.
23 re-signings. Making hard but correct calls on the contracts of senior players.
A relatively 'big fish' actually choosing us.

Hanging out for the possibility of Clarkson - who granted is one of the greatest coaches of all time - is the only reason that we'd consider delaying, but even then that's pie in the sky stuff with no guarantee of the instant success we'd all be expecting with Clarkson.

I like what Nicks and co are building and I reckon extend him for 2.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

Next year is the first that comes with performance expectation, so we'll see how he handles the pressure if we aren't on the uptick. Can't extend by 1, it's gotta be 2, so half way through next year is right. I'll expect an announcement pre-Xmas.

rocket18

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Goody Saints
If he’s not working to the long term get rid of him now.

I would have thought continually playing injured and clearly hampered senior players this season was an indication that short term was trumping long term.

It would be so Adelaide to dish up an extension prematurely to Nicks so we can't have a decent crack at Clarkson.

I'm ambivalent on a Nick's extension at the moment. Seems the right person in charge but I probably would have preferred to see the first half of next season before making that call.

Truck25

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Portland Trailblazers
But unless I have missed something we actually haven't signed him up for another couple. All the "We should wait until next year" comments. I think if they are just starting to talk it's probably going to be well into next year before the pen hits the paper.

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
But unless I have missed something we actually haven't signed him up for another couple. All the "We should wait until next year" comments. I think if they are just starting to talk it's probably going to be well into next year before the pen hits the paper.

I hope you are right but I think it will be done before the end of 2021. Your right thoigh, nothing is done yet.

Mong

Premiership Player
Sep 4, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Crows
I’d like it to happen. It would give Coach Nicks the security to continue to to build properly and not be tempted to make short term decisions. I acknowledge the risk but we should know by now what we’re getting from him so if we think he’s the man to continue the rebuild then let him see it through.

Sep 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Given the direction we have gone in terms of complete rebuild makes sense we would extend him. All signs have been good so far - just lacking consistency but at our best implementing his game plan we have beaten and challenged very good sides. Clearly the players are engaged with the philosophies he is working too and are playing for him and each other.
Good clubs stay the course through these periods - not chop and change like the Blues because the success hasn’t come quickly enough. A list of predominantly 18-20 year olds is a 4 - 5 year exercise to be “good”

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
I’d like it to happen. It would give Coach Nicks the security to continue to to build properly and not be tempted to make short term decisions. I acknowledge the risk but we should know by now what we’re getting from him so if we think he’s the man to continue the rebuild then let him see it through.

the thing is we don’t know what we are getting

we know it smells good in the oven, it looks good, in theory it should taste good

but there has been no proof of the pudding. There has been no eating

flesh out the outline structure, but hold off until the bye to finalise. We’re not getting Clarko and I don’t think we want the circus that will come with him

if we don’t show real improvement next year, in onfield results, then Nicks’ isn’t the right guy for us

he has turned over the veterans, and got some young guys into the team. That’s the EASY bit.

the hard bit is the next steps, and we need to start showing some progress next year

hold off until the bye

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
“In my mind, he is a next-generation coach that is bringing that skill set to our playing group at this stage.

“We would be looking in the off-season (at) reviewing forward contracts and the board will discuss that matter, no doubt.

“And that will depend on the negotiations between him and his management.
From that quote it sounds like the extension is almost certain to happen over the off season. Just need to agree on the dollars.

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood

we know it smells good in the oven, it looks good, in theory it should taste good

flesh out the outline structure, but hold off until the bye to finalise. We’re not getting Clarko and I don’t think we want the circus that will come with him

if we don’t show real improvement next year, in onfield results, then Nicks’ isn’t the right guy for us

he has turned over the veterans, and got some young guys into the team. That’s the EASY bit.

the hard bit is the next steps, and we need to start showing some progress next year

hold off until the bye

Good post, leading a team through a rebuild when there are no expectations isn't particularly difficult. The hard bit is to come.

Sep 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Good post, leading a team through a rebuild when there are no expectations isn't particularly difficult. The hard bit is to come.

The difference here being we have seen the game plan , have evidence it works even though our list is a well off being complete and now we just need the consistency.
Have no doubt we will extend during the off season base on the article and I wouldn’t have an issue with that

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
The difference here being we have seen the game plan , have evidence it works even though our list is a well off being complete and now we just need the consistency.
Have no doubt we will extend during the off season base on the article and I wouldn’t have an issue with that

I think the length is what's up for debate mainly.

flashcrow

Club Legend
Jul 15, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
#weflyasone

hold off until the bye
You Sir are making me hungry!

Nov 5, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think the #1 thing that Nicks was hired to do is bring back a positive culture to the club. Its been evidenced in every bit of PR that has come out of the club. Results on the field don't really matter this year.

So that lands us here in 2020. We have an unhappy playing group. Over 1/3 of the Grand Final team is gone and we have missed the finals for the past 2 years.
What is the definition of the best team? For me - the definition of the best team for round 1 is the team that has the best chance to win week 1. I really think that Nicks was not brought in because he was the best "coach" but because he was the best person to start rebuilding the culture at the AFC (alongside the soon to be appointed head of culture -whatever the F*** that is). Nicks has already changed the leadership group removing Talia and Walker and replacing them with player favorites Lynch and Smith. Its all about making the AFC a more fun place to be and using this year to rebuild the culture and assess the list.

I have a feeling that our next window will be 2024 and Nicks will only last 2-3 years to oversee the changing of the guard (retirements of Tex, Talia, Gibbs, Sloane, Mackay and Lynch) and build a positive culture. Think we will see a fast, fun, risky style of footy this year.

I agree with my early 2020 thoughts. First two years were all about rebuilding a fun and positive culture. TICK. We would have to be one of the happiest and least scrutinized teams that have won a combined 10 games in 2 years of footy. 23 re-signings, nobody wanting desperately out and a reasonably big fish coming home. Our 2021 form was definitely an improvement on 2020. Beat 2 of the top 4 sides in Geelong and Melbourne, recorded 7 wins with 5 of our losses coming by 13 points or less.

Where does that leave us with Nicks and 2022. IMO - its 11 wins or bust. These should be the expectations for the club. Our list is in the spot to really grow and improve. We have only 7 players on our list with over 100 games of AFL experience and all 7 are walk up starts to our best 22. There is no risk of gifting games in 2022.

Injuries permitting - we will hopefully have 3 new recruits for 2022 in Dawson, Crouch and Milera in addition to a top 6 draft pick. 12 wins and a spot in the finals needs to be the goal. Fun culture has been established, but that can only last so long without winning.

If we are on track for 11-12 wins (fixture depending) - give Nicks a 2 year extension midway through 2022 (with a cut away clause at end of 2023 if it falls apart). Trajectory should be at 13-14 wins in 2023 and our window opening up in 2024.

Already gonna change my username to afc979824 (how can that backfire).

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
I’m not even sure that’s been him, given they’ve all played a lot of footy except for Talia .

overseen then. Under his watch, the old guard has been moved on

the subtraction is always the easier bit, the harder bit is proving the foundation you laid will pay dividends

we’re at the prove you can add stage

i’m quietly optimistic but we need to see some evidence. Hopefully we will

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back