Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide's rebuild?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matthew Lobbe will be your new ruck coach.

I expect he's met or exceeded his original KPIs, but that was a comparison to an exceedingly low bar. Going forward he will be measured against a performance indicator, we've no idea how he'll perform or deal with failure. If it was me, I'd give him a bonus for exceeding expectations last 2 years, but I wouldn't extend him until some rubber has hit the road next year. Q

His first 2 years have been bulldozing the place down and building a good foundation (culture). I think we all agree he has done that - the buy in is there

I think we should now extend him to give him a crack at actually coaching a team, the extension gives him a window to do so. In terms of his game plan there were enough green shoots to indicate he has one that could work. So 2 years would be okay.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Why would there be a hurry to sign him. He's not going anywhere. Give him a 1/2 season to show if there is improvement.
Agree. Results will speak for themself and if we continue to improve the contract will take care of itself. Nick's has shown lots of positive signs to date.

His first 2 years have been bulldozing the place down and building a good foundation (culture). I think we all agree he has done that - the buy in is there

I think we should now extend him to give him a crack at actually coaching a team, the extension gives him a window to do so. In terms of his game plan there were enough green shoots to indicate he has one that could work. So 2 years would be okay.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

1 year is the right number, but doing that creates more problems than it resolves. Until we see how he coaches under the weight of failing against performance expectations, he’s still very much an unknown.

In terms of the game plan, we saw good signs but then we saw reversion to the Pyke risk averse method. Demanding only deep attacking entries to maximise dependability is a very worrying strategy. Jury is well and truely out, 2 years is too much, but it’s either 0 or 2. No reason to not wait until half way through next year. But I doubt we will.

Has anything been announced?

was just thinking that we really don’t know if he can coach (not assuming he can’t BTW), but that we are probably about to find out in the next 6-7 months

he’s done the easy bit, tearing stuff down, talking a bunch of wokey feel good culture stuff, hitting the draft etc

now, we’re sitting on the edge of finding out. The first half of next season should give us some clues as to whether the much harder stuff of actually building something is pointing the right way.

We’ll know if progress is heading the right direction only just after handing him an extension

that doesn’t seem great

Has anything been announced?

was just thinking that we really don’t know if he can coach (not assuming he can’t BTW), but that we are probably about to find out in the next 6-7 months

he’s done the easy bit, tearing stuff down, talking a bunch of wokey feel good culture stuff, hitting the draft etc

now, we’re sitting on the edge of finding out. The first half of next season should give us some clues as to whether the much harder stuff of actually building something is pointing the right way.

We’ll know if progress is heading the right direction only just after handing him an extension

that doesn’t seem great

we should let the season play out, he is in a contract year, we might make top 4 :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its a tricky one, given he seems to have the players on board, not giving the clubs vote of confidence in Nicks and extending, what would it do to their belief?

I think we have to extend but only by 2. Realistically, we aren't doing in of those 2 years anyway. As long as player development happens, if at the end of the that he's not improved our results then we bring in someone who can.

I'd be happy to give him one more now (2023), or if we're looking good 3/4 through 2022, another 2 (2023/2024).

I think 2023 is the key year, but I wouldn't want to get 6 rounds in and be bottom 2 knowing he's got another full season ahead of him (2024).
I think you have to let Nick's follow through till the end of 2023. We will know by then whether our rebuild worked or it worked but our coaching is sub par. I wouldn't extend Nick's beyond that for now

On SM-N981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Its a tricky one, given he seems to have the players on board, not giving the clubs vote of confidence in Nicks and extending, what would it do to their belief?

I think we have to extend but only by 2. Realistically, we aren't doing in of those 2 years anyway. As long as player development happens, if at the end of the that he's not improved our results then we bring in someone who can.

an extension of 2 is actually 3 more years, that seems a lot just before we find out some proof of concept

I don’t need certainty, just a few hints that the arrow is pointing the right way during the next “build” phase

in terms of house construction he’s poured the concrete, the foundations look ok but that’s not the hard bit.

in terms of house construction he’s poured the concrete, the foundations look ok but that’s not the hard bit.

He didn't have a flat stable ground to pour the concrete on though. He had the equivalent of a sinkhole, twenty boulders and a few dead bodies to clear first.

He didn't have a flat stable ground to pour the concrete on though. He had the equivalent of a sinkhole, twenty boulders and a few dead bodies to clear first.

none of which provides any indication of his actual construction abilities though

different skills and the next bit is the part that all new coaches find difficult and many fail at

the fail rate for rookie coaches is high. Most manage the bit Nicks has been through, that’s not the part where it goes wrong

this bit coming up is

none of which provides any indication of his actual construction abilities though

different skills and the next bit is the part that all new coaches find difficult and many fail at

the fail rate for rookie coaches is high. Most manage the bit Nicks has been through, that’s not the part where it goes wrong

this bit coming up is
I say end of 23 Max. There are some concerning aspects to his coaching that needs further exploration. Firstly that over defensive game plan against essendon that appeared from nowhere for no reason. Secondly the games the players have gone out flat. Overall, done lots of good things but there have been some questions.

I say end of 23 Max. There are some concerning aspects to his coaching that needs further exploration. Firstly that over defensive game plan against essendon that appeared from nowhere for no reason. Secondly the games the players have gone out flat. Overall, done lots of good things but there have been some questions.

Tex made everything look rosey at the start of the season and took some pressure off but the wheels fell off the GWS game and as you said the Essendon was a low point and personally I didnt feel Nicks took much responsibility for it.

Should wait until the bye round as that will give a good indicator if we are continuing to progress especially midfield rotations and more exposure in there to the younger brigade.

A winning game plan is what that is repeatable and sustainable enabled by the right group of players.

I don't think any of this is proven to date.

Not really sure why they needed to extend him.

Would be nice to see some results for 2022 ie heading up the ladder.

Having said that, his salary would be quite low, so if it went Pear shaped, a pay out not a bug deal.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Pretty happy with this. 2 years is not over the top.
Meanwhile, the talk coming out of the club, both in official channels and behind the scenes, is that Nick's has developed a really strong culture, particularly among the younger boys.
Given the sh!tshow he was left, what he has done is remarkable.

I'm not as convinced on his match day coaching, but hoping that will also continue to develop. In the end, at the end of his contract, we will have a squad capable of playing good finals football. If he can't get the best out of them at that point, then we have the option to move him on and find someone who can.

I'm optimistic though.

Love what Nicksy is bringing but wouldn't have been against waiting and seeing how this year goes first. We've definitely never shot ourselves in the foot by extending a coach too early before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back