Footscray Bulldogs, Williamstown
2011 End of Season Review

by Unotuchable

DOB: January 25, 1991

Drafted: No. 48, 2009 Rookie Draft

Height: 191cm Weight: 91 kg

2011 review:

VFL Senior Games: 14
VFL Senior Goals: 29 (13th in competition)
Highest Total: 6 goals versus Frankston rnd 22 2011

2012 looks to be a big year for young KPP player Matthew Panos following the retirement of Barry Hall. Starting the 2011 season in the VFL reserves, Panos graduated the senior squad holding down positions at CHB and Full Forward. Named in the best for Williamstown on three occasions, he came of age as a player in the VFL Finals kicking 11 goals from three games and being named as Williamstowns best in the GF.
Time will tell if the South Australian forward will make it at AFL level with a lack of pace and size being his only knocks. However, he will only need the ball a handful of times a game to be a threatening player and is easily the best set shot at the club.

Standout Games

VFL Round 7 vs Port Melbourne- Kicked four in terrible conditions at TEAC Oval in a big loss.

VFL Qualifying Final- Kicked 5 goals against North Ballarat in the 77 point rout of the former champion team and boogeymen of the Seagulls.

VFL Grand Final vs Port Melbourne- Kicked four goals and was named best for Williamstown in a losing performance.

I've rated Panos ever since he joined the club and have followed his progress with interest. I really liked the idea that we had snared a highly rated U18 KPF late in the RD after he had been ignored in the ND. It seemed like a weird anomaly of the draft that he had been overlooked ... and it still does.

So I was pretty happy to see him do well at Willi and get elevated.

However I'm starting to wonder whether we're getting ahead of ourselves a bit. People are saying he is a likely senior choice for Rd 1, is in our best 18, is our likely first RS nominee (he has equal most votes in the poll - 25% - alongside Wallis!)

This all seems a bit premature for a kid who hasn't yet played a game. Sure, if you elevate someone it means you think he's ready to play seniors (although you have to wonder about the Mulligan elevation) but I feel we are running the risk of having unrealistic expectations of Panos.

This is not good news for him because if he needs a half season or so to find his feet he will soon find himself labelled a dud/spud/BF whipping boy, etc.

I'd love him to start kicking bags of goals from Round 1 but I just don't think it will happen. I think a pass mark in his first year of senior footy would be about 10 games and 20 goals. A 30-40 goal season would be a screaming success, especially if we finish down the ladder.

He's also now facing a fair bit of competition as we have so many recruits who are potential KPFs.

Anyone else think the hype is a bit over the top at this stage of his career? What are your expectations of Panos in 2012?

I've rated Panos ever since he joined the club and have followed his progress with interest. I really liked the idea that we had snared a highly rated U18 KPF late in the RD after he had been ignored in the ND. It seemed like a weird anomaly of the draft that he had been overlooked ... and it still does.

So I was pretty happy to see him do well at Willi and get elevated.

However I'm starting to wonder whether we're getting ahead of ourselves a bit. People are saying he is a likely senior choice for Rd 1, is in our best 18, is our likely first RS nominee (he has equal most votes in the poll - 25% - alongside Wallis!)

This all seems a bit premature for a kid who hasn't yet played a game. Sure, if you elevate someone it means you think he's ready to play seniors (although you have to wonder about the Mulligan elevation) but I feel we are running the risk of having unrealistic expectations of Panos.

This is not good news for him because if he needs a half season or so to find his feet he will soon find himself labelled a dud/spud/BF whipping boy, etc.

I'd love him to start kicking bags of goals from Round 1 but I just don't think it will happen. I think a pass mark in his first year of senior footy would be about 10 games and 20 goals. A 30-40 goal season would be a screaming success, especially if we finish down the ladder.

He's also now facing a fair bit of competition as we have so many recruits who are potential KPFs.

Anyone else think the hype is a bit over the top at this stage of his career? What are your expectations of Panos in 2012?

Not sure how the year will pan out for him, I have great faith that he'll give it a good shot. He's grown each year he's been with us, he's a smart footballer, can play both ends and is a beautiful kick. I think he's well and truly in the mix for round one, he appears to be a natural full forward and has shown he can kick big bags albeit at lower levels. I guess many other people think he's a good chance for round one too hence they think he can get a rising star nominee..... Sound fair enough to me

How is he going? Going to get games?
He's only played a handful of VFL games this year, all of which have been as a defender. He played in defense a lot last year since he is fairly composed and a great field kick but it does rob us of how accurate he is in front of the sticks.

So not entirely sure, he might crack the team if we decide to drop a ruck but he'd be competing with Tom Hill for the second or third tall forward spot.

He's only played a handful of VFL games this year, all of which have been as a defender. He played in defense a lot last year since he is fairly composed and a great field kick but it does rob us of how accurate he is in front of the sticks.

So not entirely sure, he might crack the team if we decide to drop a ruck but he'd be competing with Tom Hill for the second or third tall forward spot.

Down back?

how has he gone? was a natural as natural FF when he played his junior footy

Kicked three goals against Coburg in his last game and has kicked 7 from 6 games. Been playing defense for most of the season but has plenty of assists to his name this season.

How close to seniors this year?

or is it a case of delist after this year?

How close to seniors this year?

or is it a case of delist after this year?

He is one of a couple of guys on the verge of a game. It's still pretty unsure if he'll play back or forward, since he's been swapped around a lot in the VFL.

I'd be pretty surprised if he was delisted, tbh. Unless he is tried in the seniors this year, and doesn't seem up to standard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back